SABC's proposed TV Licence plan will hammer DStv - Analyst

system32

Expert Member
Isn't the easy solution for dstv is to stop broadcasting sabc channels?
AFAIK, DSTV is forced by Must-carry regulations to carry SABC channels - at no cost to SABC.
Because its forced, DSTV also don't pay SABC.
See DStv is profiting unfairly from us, SABC says - TechCentral

I think SABC gets paid for SABC-News (Channel 404)

DSTV paid over R50m/R150m per year for ANN7
see https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/1724280/dstv-pays-gupta-owned-ann7-millions/

If SABC collected 3 * R150m for SABC1, SABC2 & SABC3 their problems would be solved.

Last edited:

grok

Honorary Master
The SABC is incompetent, beyond belief, and now they want to make their problems, some one else's problem. How retarded.
Remember electricity? Where we now have to pay more 'cos they got rid of knowledgeable white people, and replaced them with BEE who can't manage anything efficiently?

Controlling and spending other people's money is the communist dream.

Get used to paying for the incompetence sallimsain.

Spike.Hodge

Go Thinus Ferreira! As he says it's just an outdated model. Old school TV receiver licencing can't work. That's why nobody else does it anymore. The BBC model would work well here. But you would need to employ people who understand maths and technology.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
The problem is that they are following the model of the Titanic and not the BBC.

lkswan747

Expert Member
How can a suggestion for the SABC to follow a WMC entity such as the BBC even be suggested!

Ettiene123

I hope dstvis not allow it then I stop my subscription, I have nouthing to do with sabc, lot of crap, and dstv is nearly the same, and over charge

shooter69

Expert Member
So Multichoice execs will get paid less and have to move back to SA?

Last edited:
SABC's proposed TV Licence plan will hammer DStv - Analyst

The SABC and Department of Communications and Digital Technologies' plan to force DStv subscribers to pay TV Licences could be highly damaging to South Africa's largest pay TV broadcaster, which is already getting hammered by streaming services.

The proposals for TV Licence amendments have been detailed in the White Paper on Audio and Audiovisual Content Services Policy Framework, and more recently discussed during a Portfolio Committee on Communications meeting in Parliament.

According to the proposed regulations, MultiChoice would either be required to have DStv decoder buyers present a TV Licence upon purchase or when they subscribe to its service.
Doesn't matter.. We're dumping Dstv anyways

livingsmart

What most of these articles don't seem to get is that a TV licence has got nothing to do with whether or not you consume SABC content. It is literally a licence to possess a TV with a tuner, which the SABC just happens to administer and benefit from. Whether you watch, consume or otherwise enjoy SABC content has absolutely nothing to do with it. The SABC knows this, which is why they would never consider a subscription fee, or access fee model, because they know that nobody would subscribe to it. Their only hope of forcing people to pay is to get them at the point that they buy their TV, or whatever other devices they're crazily trying to add to the definition of a "TV".
Still, they should get off their butts and actually collect their due fees from the millions of their voters who don't pay!

wingnut771

Honorary Master
AFAIK, DSTV is forced by Must-carry regulations to carry SABC channels - at no cost to SABC.
Because its forced, DSTV also don't pay SABC.
See DStv is profiting unfairly from us, SABC says - TechCentral

I think SABC gets paid for SABC-News (Channel 404)

DSTV paid over R50m/R150m per year for ANN7
see https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/1724280/dstv-pays-gupta-owned-ann7-millions/

If SABC collected 3 * R150m for SABC1, SABC2 & SABC3 their problems would be solved.
I kinda figured this to me the case, or else they would have dropped those channels long ago.

Lupus

Honorary Master
What part do the SABC not understand.
You require a TV license to purchase a TV.
You need a TV to watch DSTV.
Ipso facto you already paid your TV license if you've got DSTV? So why would it suddenly affect DSTV subscribers?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Ipso facto you already paid your TV license if you've got DSTV? So why would it suddenly affect DSTV subscribers?

Because your TV does not expire a year after buying it?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Because your TV does not expire a year after buying it?
You're supposed to pay your license fee every year, if you let it lapse they hound you. Not our fault they are limp at getting their money.

deweyzeph

Executive Member

You don't need a TV to watch DSTV. You can quite easily buy an LED monitor with an HDMI port and use that to watch DSTV without needing to buy a TV or a TV licence.