SABS updates plug standard with new safety symbol for adaptors

D tj

Expert Member
When are we going to leave one another to face the consequences of our own really stupid behaviour ....this sticker really...what next the "quality of the adapter" sticker and the warning sticker warning to check the sticker's quality...
Leave stupid to be, they will learn faster that way or still not at all.

Reactions: Swa

Swa

Honorary Master

Swa

Honorary Master
Just about all the multiway adapters and plugs sold by the supermarkets and hypermarkets have no SABS mark. They haven't for years. Most of them are rubbish. Hollow thin metal pins, cheap and thin plastic. This is especially seen in the two way or three way adapters supposedly 220-250VAC and 15 amp rated. They wouldn't pass a 2KV Hi-pot test if indeed the SABS specify this now. Time these institutions bought good solid plugs a lot of which were made in South Africa. Time they came back and left the Chinese stuff for the Chinese.
Bought two extension sockets from Buid-it. He claimed they were SABS and the 15A variety that can handle a heater. Could not find any mark on them however and one of them already melted.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No stamp, no label, no SABS approval. ALL the stuff you can get in just about every hardware outlet and supermarket is substandard Chinese manufactured junk.

I make my own extensions and have gradually eliminated ALL extension boxes in the house by doing what another person posted and installed double wall sockets everywhere.

Reactions: Swa

Swa

Honorary Master
No stamp, no label, no SABS approval. ALL the stuff you can get in just about every hardware outlet and supermarket is substandard Chinese manufactured junk.

I make my own extensions and have gradually eliminated ALL extension boxes in the house by doing what another person posted and installed double wall sockets everywhere.
The issue I have is that all appliances come with a short cord. Heater only has about a meter and even a 3 meter cord on the vacuum doesn't let you get everywhere.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Our main vacuum cleaner has an upgraded 30 m cord on it. All extension cords I make up have a single double socket at the end.
Heaters by default are a problem at the end of a long power cord, because of the excessive current that flows for extended periods. Very bad practice to feed them with extension cords. So, the oil heaters I have I have upgraded the cords to 15 m long with heavy gauge cables (4mmsq).
Extension cords in my house are all 2.5 mm sq cable.