SADV Installation Feedback/Progress for Estates/Complexes

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
@Sandman1 good luck, I've had great initial luck with contacting him, but sorta died out afterwards. Perhaps try their call centre if all else fails.

Updates from my side:

Wayleaves were sorted out, DFA busy sorting out the link :) Progress!

When the project reaches a certain point all communication comes from our PM.

gmathews

Update 11 May 2018

Trenching done for link to DFA. Final connections and testing pending.

Question: Who gives the end user the CPE - is it SADV or is it the ISP?

gmathews

Update 28 May 2018

Further delays, from DFA side. Physical connection done, testing pending, then to be handed over from DFA to SADV. Patching in will be done. Not sure of full details.

Signups are open for our estate however, so that's done from my side:)

As for CPE - SADV is responsible for CPE, once sign up is processed through an ISP.

So close.

Last edited:

gmathews

Update 22 June 2018

June 7th - Contacted pinball wizard from SADV after noticing potential DFA coverage, details from this thread.
June 7th- Received Proposal from SADV, to be signed by Trustees of Estate.
June 8th - Initiated discussion with Trustees of Estate, with motivation for fibre.
June 14th - Trustees in agreement, signed proposal. Sent off to SADV.
June 30th - SADV Conducted low-level survey of the estate.
August 14th - Meeting planned with Trustees for installation discussion. Feasibility study completed from SADV side.
August 28th - Kick off Meeting completed with third party installation company and Trustee at Tuscany Village. Method of installation discussed.
August 29th - AGM/House Owners Association meeting - Fibre installation agreed on to proceed
September 04th - All Home owners informed that fibre installation to formally commence on September 11th. ETA for build phase completion = 17 October.
October 12th - Construction starting today. Issues with home owners who were opposed to fibre installation delayed the process, this has been resolved. So delays are from the Estate's side this time around. Estimated time for completion = 1 month - so November 12th
November 7th - Main core line through estate almost done. Should commence with individual units installation this week. New revised date = Estate to go live before 22 December (feedback from third party installers)
January 21 2018 - All individual units done (who have requested for a point). Cabinet installed at main gate. Finished up with "fixes/restoration" during trenching.
Jan - June - Main Delays with wayleave permission from municipality. Then trenching for main line from link to estate. Testing done, DFA handed over to SADV, SADV tested, confirmed site as live and then handed over to SADV operations.
June 22 2018 - Confirmed installation on 27th June. :) :)

sn0rbaard

Good job [MENTION=92950]gmathews[/MENTION]. My story also finally ended. Updated outline below

July 12th - I made contact with SADV and asked if they want to bring us fibre :)
July 25th - SADV sent proposal to Body Corp
September 12th - Follow up with SADV
September 19th - Initial feasability for the project was approved
September 20th - SADV management approved the project
October 12th - Having heard nothing about a kick-off meeting I requested an update
October 12th - SADV contractors MCT responded with a "Survey Report" dated mid-August
October 26th - Site walkthrough with contractors responsible for internal reticulation
October 30th - Presented my case at AGM, got full cooperation from BC and trustees, full go-ahead given to SADV and contractors for work
November 7th - Contractors arrived on site to start construction and trenching inside complex
December 14th - All home drops completed
16 Jan 2018 - Body corp signed off another admin thing for DFA
14 April 2018 - Wayleave finally approved by municipality (I think application was submitted in August)
17-19 April 2018 - 220m to backbone trenched along sidewalks
~8 June 2018 - Fibre uplink to external DFA backbone installed
13 June 2018 - SADV technician tested the external connection, great results
13 to 27 June 2018 - Projects finalised last admin stuff with contractors
27 June 2018 - Site declared live, handed over from Projects to Operations
28 June 2018 - I received call from Operations (I had a pending order with Cool Ideas)
29 June 2018 - ONT install done, phoned Cool Ideas to get my PPPoE deets and now I'm a happy camper :)

blowdart18

Hectic stuff following this thread and the time it has taken, we are also in the same boat now.

Plan has been signed off, everything handed in and now just waiting for feedback from SADV.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Hectic stuff following this thread and the time it has taken, we are also in the same boat now.

Plan has been signed off, everything handed in and now just waiting for feedback from SADV.

What complex? I can follow up for you.

Friggs

I'm not trying to bash anyone here but sharing my experience as it's partly relevant to this thread.

We struggled to get SADV/DFA to even do a site inspection for probably 7+ months (and they approached us originally wanting us to sign up with them and me signing the initial papers for them to come do the site inspection). My neighbour is desperate for fibre to replace his LTE and didn't want telkom so he got hold of Metrofibre and they sent through some docs for me to look over, I signed them and they were onsite 2 days later for the site inspection. We had a few minor hassles with some delays but got the project rolling about a month later and they will be finished this Friday after when they will have completed the last units - the total time for the work on site (come Friday) will be 6 weeks from trenching to installing TP's in 42 units + one guard house. All in all it took about 3 months in total (original mail sent at the end of June) which I think is pretty good. Then there is about a week for them to switch it on and do end to end testing and we will then be live

The only catch (which I was happy to agree to) is that we have to use the Metrofibre ISP for 2 months after which we can switch to any other supported ISP, apparently this gives them time to make it live for other ISP's but probably also for them to recoup some cost and they know that a lot of the people who sign up at the start won't be bothered to move after the two month period.

Reactions: Yuu

gmathews

Interesting comments. To be honest, since I've had my line active, there were say around 4 or so times of downtime till now, and there was decent communication around the issue. Such a breath of fresh air in comparison to dealing with Telkom.

I'm a happy customer thus far, and although things could have been organised better in hindsight, when you finally get connected, it appears to be hassle free.

Reactions: Yuu

Joeyy

How long do they usually take to install from when it goes live, for suburbs? My area went live two weeks ago, and I placed an order long before that, but still haven't heard anything.

Mcwidowmaker

We are also busy with SADV. We started with them in March. Site survey was 11 June. Development plan was signed on the 8th of August. Contractors started trenching a week later. Expected handover date was 17 September, but there was some delays. I expect the civils to be completed within the next week and splicing and the rest should be done 2 weeks after that. We received the plans for the DFA spur and box today, which we still need to sort out. We will probably be live by middle to end November if all goes well.