Sage hit by major outage in South Africa

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Someone been playing larry?
Possibly.

But in this day and age of cloud computing, chances of an environment going down for so long and not being able to be DR or shifted is very low. Corruption, through data or malicousness is FAR more likely and a real bitch because it nails backups etc as well.

And seeing Sages DB setup with prior experiance........ not going to rule out good old corruption :D

Sapphiron

Expert Member
This is why I keep telling people, you can't pick software only on price and features. You need to understand the weaknesses of their approach and the company behind it.

This is why we have been steering people to Xero and QuickBooks. Sage is 5 years behind them in technology and 15 years in approach to SAAS.

airborne

Honorary Master
How can a company have such a dire glitch that they are offline for this long, especially on a core product like accounting?

A few hours outage perhaps every few years would be acceptable but this is a Fukushima level meltdown.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
How can a company have such a dire glitch that they are offline for this long, especially on a core product like accounting?

A few hours outage perhaps every few years would be acceptable but this is a Fukushima level meltdown.
And yet offer no refunds on subs to their products/saas

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Simplicity and accounting are mutually exclusive.
Accounting and programming are mutually exclusive.

Programmer producing accounting software = accounting logic is hot garbage but programmer can't see it

Accountant attempting to code = software logic is hot garbage but accountant can't see it

Arthur

Honorary Master
I hear via an inside-connected grapevine that the cause has been identified as an obscure and arcane hardware problem. But of course don't know. We'll have to wait and see what they come out with.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Just learning about this now, had a demo on Sage 300 this week. Well that's frightening if we move our payroll HR to them.

From the IT side, can't understand how their DR/BCP programs didn't kick in, surely they could have spun up all the old infra to their RPO time (which I would think should have been 7pm on the day the upgrade was supposed to take place). The fact that they can't even do that 6 days later, is absolutely ****ing frightening.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Six days downtime makes that highly questionable my understanding

Six days downtime makes that highly questionable.
My understanding is that it hasn't been system down. I have three companies on Sage cloud accounting, and they've all been up and running and able to transact.

The problem is some users experience severe performance issues, such as 1-2 minutes to log in, and timeout/abends when switching context.

No data is corrupted or lost. It's just severe performance degradation or loss.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
My understanding is that it hasn't been system down. I have three companies on Sage cloud accounting, and they've all been up and running and able to transact.

The problem is some users experience severe performance issues, such as 1-2 minutes to log in, and timeout/abends when switching context.

Ok, that's quite differant from the total downtime of the article. That sounds like bad indexes or structure though.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
I hear via an inside-connected grapevine that the cause has been identified as an obscure and arcane hardware problem. But of course don't know. We'll have to wait and see what they come out with.

Have some doubt on this being a pure old hardware issue. In todays modern hardware, obscure and arcane is either the old mainframe hardware with no replacement parts, or some sort of custom made pcb that is difficult/impossible to make again. Both unlikely and given the modular integration of server hardware (and distributed software stack on top like docker and database shards or just tons of vm, that should be implemented for a company this size), really can't see how this could be purely a modern hardware problem, throwing money usually solves these types of problems..

Crowley

Executive Member

You are lucky then. Monday to friday I couldn't do quotes or invocies. Every time I tried I got the "You've experienced an error" message.

Arthur

Honorary Master
You are lucky then. Monday to friday I couldn't do quotes or invocies. Every time I tried I got the "You've experienced an error" message.
That's totally unacceptable, of course.

Take a look at Xero. I'm seriously considering a move, and soon.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
For those looking for alternatives.

Xero is good for accounting and has good automation and banking integration. For the cheapskates, you can use waveaccounting for free, but there is no banking integration, so pick if time or money is more important to you.

Payspace is good for payroll. Simplepay is also good.

Dear systems is good for inventory and production management. Unleaded is also good.

Surv0

Executive Member
we dropped them like its hot recently... onto Netsuite

Chiller89

For those looking for alternatives.

Xero is good for accounting and has good automation and banking integration. For the cheapskates, you can use waveaccounting for free, but there is no banking integration, so pick if time or money is more important to you.

Payspace is good for payroll. Simplepay is also good.

Dear systems is good for inventory and production management. Unleaded is also good.

Thanks so much for this list of alternatives!

Just as a side note, Wave Accounting stopped signups for new businesses outside US and Canada after November 30, 2020. They are “refocusing” to US and Canada, so Wave is no longer really an option.