Sage hit by major outage in South Africa

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I pity those on Sage at the moment. This is to me seems like another cloud solution which is more traditional than 'cloud'. Sure they should have had redundancy in place, or at least have a roll back in place prior the patch rollouts they made in January? Unless the data nodes was also updated...

I don't know their ecosystem, so I cannot really comment.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I pity those on Sage at the moment. This is to me seems like another cloud solution which is more traditional than 'cloud'. Sure they should have had redundancy in place, or at least have a roll back in place prior the patch rollouts they made in January? Unless the data nodes was also updated...

I don't know their ecosystem, so I cannot really comment.

TBH, I don't think we really need to actually know their ecosystem to know that whatever they had in place was pisspoor and fscking monumentally substandard.

Crowley

Executive Member
Sage has been online since Saturday some time. Did all my invoicing yesterday but also looking at something else now.

neoprema

Executive Member
It was off again this morning.

Somebody or more must be fired over this. Clearly their change control process is shot to....
Nevermind that there was also clearly a complete change made to Production so they can't go back to what was, only fix whats not.

stefan9

Executive Member
For those looking for alternatives.

Xero is good for accounting and has good automation and banking integration. For the cheapskates, you can use waveaccounting for free, but there is no banking integration, so pick if time or money is more important to you.

Payspace is good for payroll. Simplepay is also good.

Dear systems is good for inventory and production management. Unleaded is also good.
We use xero and dear. Nice integration with woocommerce as well.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

Somebody or more must be fired over this. Clearly their change control process is shot to....
Nevermind that there was also clearly a complete change made to Production so they can't go back to what was, only fix whats not.
Pfft. As sage say " thank you for being there with us through these hard times ". What a load of kak.

Crowley

Executive Member

Yeah, I spoke to soon. Down at the moment.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

Be on the lookout for up coming job adverts at sage. I can't comment on the working conditions there, but I think one can command a small premium on their salary if the job has anything to do with this debacle.

airborne

Honorary Master
Sage has been online since Saturday some time. Did all my invoicing yesterday but also looking at something else now.
I can see Sage hemorrhaging customers wholesale.

Who can run a business when the company that provides a core service can inexplicably drop you this hard for this long.

I would leave them on principal, how difficult is it to migrate from Sage to one of the competitors mentioned earlier?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Who can run a business when the company that provides a core service can inexplicably drop you this hard for this long.

I would leave them on principal, how difficult is it to migrate from Sage to one of the competitors mentioned earlier?

Absolutely no question.

Hell I wouldn't even be surprised to see them lose some on-prem customers as well purely from a risk basis.

The Darkness

Expert Member
These guys are STILL out for the count. Their FB page is a warzone. Scrolling down it seems like this has been going on for ages. Many many people are going to ditch them, our companies included. More importantly, people will lose money from SARS penalties, and I expect a lawsuit heading their way.

Does anyone have an idea what's happened there?

neoprema

Executive Member
And go where though? keeping in mind you would still have to get back in at some stage to their system to dump your data or export it into a format something else can use

rmcrystal

The total lack of importance placed on the customer is epitomised by the
"Investigating - We are investigating a potential issue with the service. An update will be provided within 30 minutes.
Jan 18, 10:00 UTC"
Guess what Sage - it has passed the "potential Issue" stage and it has long passed the promised feedback time of 30 mins posted at 10:00

stefan9

Executive Member

Cloudconvert.co.za offers a free xero conversion

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

Depends on if they allow you to export data and how difficult they make the data structure to be readable by other vendors.

Absolutely no question.

Hell I wouldn't even be surprised to see them lose some on-prem customers as well purely from a risk basis.

The one snag is the data, if existing customers have a ton of historical data that can't be automated for export and easily readable by the new software, then quite a lot would be reluctant to move and recapture by hand, even having experienced this pain. Don't know about sage, but there are a lot of other companies that don't play nice when it comes to wholesale complete data exports. The one good thing I guess is that financial year end is coming for a lot of companies, so starting from scratch in the new year wouldn't be too painful.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Tried to log in just now to do something. I wonder if I will get a refund on my credit card for the yearly subscription I just bought.

1611641190355.png