Sage hit by major outage in South Africa

The Darkness

Expert Member
Sage has deleted ALL of the Facebook comments from 18 January. There were literally hundreds of irate customers begging and pleading for help and answers. What kind of company covers this up by deleting social media comments?

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Sage has deleted ALL of the Facebook comments from 18 January. There were literally hundreds of irate customers begging and pleading for help and answers. What kind of company covers this up by deleting social media comments?

Majority if not every company?

Crowley

Executive Member
They communicate to their customers via this channel, as do they market through it, so yes, it's a point of contact. Your point?
*yawn* Trying to show that he's too cool for facebook.

I've changed to Xero. Gives me a clean slate to get rid of old clients so I didn't transfer any info. I will keep my Sage going until my current invoices are paid then no more Sage.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Got to control that narrative

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It is a silly move by Sage. Just shows they don't want their customers to care about their product. You want to do better, not worse.

Their competition must now be drunk in celebration.

Its almost a text book example of how not to handle the PR nightmare of an operational cock up of extreme proportions.

The Darkness

Expert Member
Its almost a text book example of how not to handle the PR nightmare of an operational cock up of extreme proportions.
Yup, the 'letter' from their CEO hit the nail into the coffin for me. It was littered with open-ended promises, sugary apologies and sympathy. W@nkers! They have no clue how to do their jobs.

The Darkness

Expert Member
*yawn* Trying to show that he's too cool for facebook.

I've changed to Xero. Gives me a clean slate to get rid of old clients so I didn't transfer any info. I will keep my Sage going until my current invoices are paid then no more Sage.
We're busy looking to do the same, just deciding which way to go. How has Xero been for you so far?

Crowley

Executive Member
We're busy looking to do the same, just deciding which way to go. How has Xero been for you so far?
I find it a bit easier than Sage to be honest. Everything is straight forward and clients can accept your quotes from the web which is pretty nice.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
So I went to take a look at the facebook posts for the drama, and stumbled across a response post from sage that stated they are looking to get exemptions/extensions for their users from sars for late payments. Now normally any individual can apply to for various reasons, but its unusual for a company to apply on behalf of a very large user base due to their own software causing problems, so if sars grants the no penalty extension, with or without some corruption payments on the side from sage to the sars official, seems a bit unfair to other companies and also sets a precedence for extensions due to borked software.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So I went to take a look at the facebook posts for the drama, and stumbled across a response post from sage that stated they are looking to get exemptions/extensions for their users from sars for late payments. Now normally any individual can apply to for various reasons, but its unusual for a company to apply on behalf of a very large user base due to their own software causing problems, so if sars grants the no penalty extension, with or without some corruption payments on the side from sage to the sars official, seems a bit unfair to other companies and also sets a precedence for extensions due to borked software.

Sage Business Cloud Accounting South Africa | Message from Pieter Bensch​

I know that many of our South African customers have experienced problems with Sage Business Cloud Accounting over the last week, and before anything else, I want to say I'm really sorry. I know what a busy time it is, how inconvenient this is and so if you have been experiencing problems, I want to apologise and let you know that we are doing everything we can to fix this.

Over the weekend, many customers have been successfully using the service and getting ready for the tax filing deadlines this week. However, as the service has got busier yesterday, we can see that some people are still experiencing delays during peak times. We are in active discussions with SARS to understand how taxpayers might mitigate any impact of late filing where this was due to events beyond their reasonable control.

The disruption stems from an upgrade to the Sage Business Cloud Accounting infrastructure that was actioned last week. Unfortunately, when the system was brought back online, we experienced an unexpected error. Since then, we've been working around the clock with our dedicated service providers and vendors to reach a full resolution.

We know our customers expect more from us, and we will keep working on those delays so that everyone can do what they need to do as quickly as possible.

Please keep an eye on Sage City as we will post all future updates there.

Best regards

Pieter Bensch

EVP, Africa and Middle East

I see some users discovered that disabling the banking connectors resolves the compatibility issue many are experiencing. I don't know, I am not a Sage user.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
A possible workaround.

Capture.PNG

Just wait until they announce it as a temporary workaround, but say it does work, they will probably kill the connector on their end and then look into remedying the issue.

NOTE: This is Sage community suggested

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
A possible workaround.

View attachment 1001206

Just wait until they announce it as a temporary workaround, but say it does work, they will probably kill the connector on their end and then look into remedying the issue.

NOTE: This is Sage community suggested

No idea how they architecture this thing, if the bank feed, which I would think is typically implemented as a modular api plugin with access keys, is seriously the cause of the problem then it seems this is one giant monolithic program to boot with plenty of spaghetti code that's enough to hide the issue for over a week. The people who found the problem should be paid a bug bounty in finding the problem.

neoprema

Executive Member
No idea how they architecture this thing, if the bank feed, which I would think is typically implemented as a modular api plugin with access keys, is seriously the cause of the problem then it seems this is one giant monolithic program to boot with plenty of spaghetti code that's enough to hide the issue for over a week. The people who found the problem should be paid a bug bounty in finding the problem.
"The moment Bob discovers he didn't have a try: except: clause in his code".

AchmatK

Executive Member
Are they still using Yodlee for their bank feeds or have they created their own bank feed application?

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Are they still using Yodlee for their bank feeds or have they created their own bank feed application?
AFAIK all the cloud accounting systems are still using Yodlee. I think only Xero has direct bank feeds with a few minor banks and are about to launch API integration with Nedbank.