Sage hit by major outage in South Africa

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Thanks so much for this list of alternatives!

Just as a side note, Wave Accounting stopped signups for new businesses outside US and Canada after November 30, 2020. They are “refocusing” to US and Canada, so Wave is no longer really an option.

That is unfortunate, but understandable, it was not going to last forever, being subsidized by other US/Canada only payroll services

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
A possible workaround.

Just wait until they announce it as a temporary workaround, but say it does work, they will probably kill the connector on their end and then look into remedying the issue.

NOTE: This is Sage community suggested

UPDATE | SBCA | Statement - 27/01/2021​

Following our update this morning, we have seen a dip in service quality which our team is addressing. Many customers are accessing the system successfully, although we are aware that others are experiencing issues. Some customers experienced delays when sending emails from within the system; this has now been resolved. Bank feeds are working, but customers with large bank feeds will experience issues. Our advice to customers with data heavy bank feeds is to delay accessing the bank feeds function while we address this as a priority issue. Other functionality including issuing invoices and running tax reports continue to work normally. We will continue to provide updates on Sage City.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Following work completed overnight, customers are able to login to Sage Business Cloud Accounting. The service is running at a good speed, and we continue to route all users to the MyWorkspace page while we optimise it further. All functionality, including issuing invoices and running tax reports is available from there.

To date, 71% of customers who need to run tax reports ready for a tax submission at the end of this month have done so. This compares to 79% at the same point in the last tax period. During that period 35% of customers completed their tax return 24/48 hours before the deadline, suggesting that all customers who need to will be able to file tax returns before the deadline of midnight on Friday 29 January.

We’ll keep monitoring the service to ensure it is accessible by all users and plan to make additional improvements tonight. We will provide further updates here.

BillyBoy

As at 27 January 20:00 Sage Accounting barely manage to login. Shows non-GUI text menu page on login.
Try create 1 Invoice, get Error 520 Unknown Error.

Sage's above statement telling us how well their system is running is absolute bollocks. Totally unacceptable after so many days downtime. How are we supposed to run a business when Sage is run by amateurs

Attachments

• Sage down 27Jan 20h00.jpg
    Sage down 27Jan 20h00.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 24

BillyBoy

Sage Accounting Customer Zone 'temporarily off-line"
For bloody days. This means my clients cannot access their invoices to pay me !!

Attachments

• Sage customerzone.jpg
    Sage customerzone.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 23

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
As at 27 January 20:00 Sage Accounting barely manage to login. Shows non-GUI text menu page on login.
Try create 1 Invoice, get Error 520 Unknown Error.

Sage's above statement telling us how well their system is running is absolute bollocks. Totally unacceptable after so many days downtime. How are we supposed to run a business when Sage is run by amateurs
Sue?
Class Action?
Demund refund?
Move to Xero/Other?
All of the above?

unless you like being in an abusive relationship :thumbsup:

krycor

Honorary Master
Good thing I logged my leave & approved prior to this week..

Wow.. this will sadly scare many businesses off using cloud computing services which is a shame as running your own is rarely better.

Kinda scary.. only other time I’ve seen outage hit business was barely much to talk about ie Atlassian had issues 2-3yrs back with Bitbucket and Jira.. but I’d say it was more of a warning as everything worked as per normal while they sorted it.

I’d think businesses doing invoicing via Sage cloud offering will soon be looking to switch back or switch provider

stefan9

Executive Member
AFAIK all the cloud accounting systems are still using Yodlee. I think only Xero has direct bank feeds with a few minor banks and are about to launch API integration with Nedbank.
Xero has with Sasfin and soon nedbank. All others have to go through Yodlee.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Great. Didn't know that. Not official listed by xero. Will look into it as we are also with fnb using xero

Strange, we've been using a direct feed to FNB with Xero for the last 4 years. Definitely have never used Yodlee.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Strange, we've been using a direct feed to FNB with Xero for the last 4 years. Definitely have never used Yodlee.
Xero uses Yodlee in their backend, even when you set it up from Xero.

If you have a refresh bank feeds option in your Xero, it's using Yodlee

gboy

Expert Member
I never liked Sage products, thier systems have always been clunky, there are better products but some reason a lot of accounting firms push thier products. I was happy to run other programs. But when accounting firms changed they basically forced us to move, I swear some people get kickbacks for forcing sage products.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I never liked Sage products, thier systems have always been clunky, there are better products but some reason a lot of accounting firms push thier products. I was happy to run other programs. But when accounting firms changed they basically forced us to move, I swear some people get kickbacks for forcing sage products.
It's called partner margin.

The issue with so many accounting firms is that did not do their due diligence on the company they were recommending.