Sakeliga declares victory - Eskom may not disadvantage end-users if their municipalities are in debt

Shadowchaser1

So , private companies are still not allowed to provide power directly to house holds/businesses etc? Gov runs everything, Escom, municipalities, water etc? So no progress has been made since 2003 when I left. Jeez?

Skankhunt

Expert Member
There is an easy solution to this problem. Eskom should take over the electricity infrastructure of municipalities that fall into default and provide electricity directly to end-users instead.

Yea I was just thinking the same thing.

Eg our area are already Eskom direct customers, and not via the municipality - and thank goodness for that else we would've been in the same situation cause our municipality is a mess.

Switch the paying customers to direct Eskom customers and let Municipality settle their bill separately.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So , private companies are still not allowed to provide power directly to house holds/businesses etc? Gov runs everything, Escom, municipalities, water etc? So no progress has been made since 2003 when I left. Jeez?
:ROFL:

rvZA

Executive Member

No progress has been made since 1994. Period. Look at the country. Look at the government. Look at the people. Look at the economy. It all speaks for itself.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
No progress has been made since 1994. Period. Look at the country. Look at the government. Look at the people. Look at the economy. It all speaks for itself.
Don't ask him to do all that, he cant, have some respect for people who left in 2003.

You look at the people, the government and the economy, he has better things to look at.

Speedster

Honorary Master
By the same logic, it's illegal for creditors to come after me if I default because it will disadvantage my kids.
Only if your kids have been paying for the service and you haven't passed on the payment.

obsidian86

Except it'll be a death blow to the municipalities. Profit on reselling electricity is one of their biggest income sources
Work on a leasing agreement Eskom gets to run it and municipalities get a fixed amount

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

It's got worse. The ANC refused to listen to the experts that told them they need to build more power stations because the experts were wypipol. The actual words were, "Your father told my father what to do but you're not going to tell me what to do!" Heard them myself several times from completely incompetent arrogant deployed cadres who had no technical expertise in anything.

In 2007 the chickens came home to roost and load shedding started. Nobody from the ANC has ever apologised to the expert wypipol for being right...

SilverCode

“The ruling applies to all state institutions and comes down to the fact that state decay can no longer be made the problem of communities and private third parties,” he said.
Those communities voted their local counselors into power, and those counselors are the ones not paying the bills. Therefore it is the problem of the community. Vote someone competent in that will actually look after the community and not their own local pockets.

_TrXtR_

Expert Member
I'm sure if they get smarter people to run the country it would make a significant improvement.