Salt water in my wellpoint

nic0

I've recently installed a wellpoint in the Parklands north area.
The guy tested to find water and installed the pump. I was quite pleased to find water.
However what was not done (and neither did i think of this before-hand) was to test the water.

I used a simple pool test strip to test the water and found that the salt content is quite high.
Do anyone in the parklands north area also have a wellpoint? Do you use it for garden irrigation? Did you test the water quality?

One of our trees did not do well with this water, plus i saw a white residue on the bricks and paving where the water fell, which is why i had thought that the salt content must be high.

Is the pool test strip the right test to make the assumption that the salt content is high?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
The guy tested to find water and installed the pump. I was quite pleased to find water.
However what was not done (and neither did i think of this before-hand) was to test the water.

I used a simple pool test strip to test the water and found that the salt content is quite high.
Do anyone in the parklands north area also have a wellpoint? Do you use it for garden irrigation? Did you test the water quality?

One of our trees did not do well with this water, plus i saw a white residue on the bricks and paving where the water fell, which is why i had thought that the salt content must be high.

Is the pool test strip the right test to make the assumption that the salt content is high?
What does it taste like? Also pour some out in a glass dish and let it evaporate in the sun. See what is left behind.

falcon786

Executive Member

Go to your local petshop that sells marine fish they will have test equipment(salinity refractometer) to tell you the salinity of your water,are you near the ocean?

nic0

It does taste salty - however does not taste like sea water.
To be honest, I'm not sure what the difference in high iron vs high salt tastes like.

Thanks for the evaporation suggestion. Will give it a try.

nic0

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take the water to a petshop that sells marine aquarium to test.

I am about 3km (as the crow flies) from the ocean, yes. So close to the sea.

IainMarsh

We had our boreholes yield and water tested when we moved onto our farm. Tests came back with a high lime and copper content. The only problem we have is lime scale build up, which means we have to clean the shower daily and dry our dishes. If we leave our dishes to drip dry you get these white markings on the glasses, etc.

shinji

Would a filter solve this problem - even just to make the water usable for the garden/washing etc.?

Stokstert

Executive Member
We had our boreholes yield and water tested when we moved onto our farm. Tests came back with a high lime and copper content. The only problem we have is lime scale build up, which means we have to clean the shower daily and dry our dishes. If we leave our dishes to drip dry you get these white markings on the glasses, etc.
You have nice strong teeth I assume and don't need dentists as other people living next to rivers.

nic0

How does a pool strip show salinity?
It only shows pH afaik. i.e. Alkalinity vs Acidity
I used the Aqua check strips for salt water pools:
Test for salt as sodium chloride.

Probably not the best test - but i'm fairly sure after the salty taste, salt residue left that the salt levels are indeed quite high.

Will be looking at Reverse Osmosis filter systems to see if this would be a cost effective solution.

It sounds like you have brackish water, which is common in Cape Town.
Brackish water usually has between 0.5 and 30 grams of salt per litre.
The salt could be from sea water or fossil water caught in your aquifer.
I'd suggest you buy a hydrometer at your local marine fish aquarium shop.
This will indicate the specific gravity of the water, which you can then gauge the salinity.

Saltwater-Hydrometer.jpg
859f3f441c0b34d5a7f1ba0c04f52d32.jpg

The floating one above it the most accurate.

The closest marine fishtank supplier to Parklands is http://www.urbanmarines.co.za based in Milnerton.

Unfortunately you cant remove the salt content inexpensively.
Some hardier plants and grasses may be tolerant to low saline water.
I'd suggest you water a 1m square piece of grass with your well water for an extended period of time to monitor any adverse effects. Don't water your whole garden because all your plants might die and you run the risk of literally poisoning your soil for a long time.

Last edited:

nic0

It sounds like you have brackish water, which is common in Cape Town.
Brackish water usually has between 0.5 and 30 grams of salt per litre.
The salt could be from sea water or fossil water caught in your aquifer.
I'd suggest you buy a hydrometer at your local marine fish aquarium shop.
This will indicate the specific gravity of the water, which you can then gauge the salinity.

View attachment 432726
View attachment 432730

The floating one above it the most accurate.

The closest marine fishtank supplier to Parklands is http://www.urbanmarines.co.za based in Milnerton.

Unfortunately you cant remove the salt content inexpensively.
Some hardier plants and grasses may be tolerant to low saline water.
I'd suggest you water a 1m square piece of grass with your well water for an extended period of time to monitor any adverse effects. Don't water your whole garden because all your plants might die and you run the risk of literally poisoning your soil for a long time.
Thanks for the suggestions. We watered a patch of the garden initially (before testing the water) and almost killed a tree (monkey thorn). Luckily the damage was not permanent and we managed to revive the tree

Devinity

To be honest, I'm not sure what the difference in high iron vs high salt tastes like.

How deep did is your wellpoint? If they drill deeper, would the quality of water be better?

I am also in Parklands and cleaned 200 litre wellpoint water by adding a half a cup of jik and running it with small fish pond pump for 12 hours through a bucket filled with pillow stuffing. water is clear and just had it tested, salt contents is 1:50 000 and guy at poolshop said I can use it for laundry in toploader and just to do rinse with clean rain or municipal water.
My plants and grass does well with the welloint water as is but trick is to water the base of the plants and not to wet the plant itself as the iron will burn the plant leaves etc.

We just had one installed yesterday, water is a bit salty. But im more concerned about the low pressure we have. Only two litres a minute. Do you have decent pressure ?