Samsung announces new TVs, calls them "SUHD"

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
More gimmicks
Not quite - the staff writer just picked a very awkward phrasing.

This part is the news:
Combined with nano-crystal semiconductor that transmit different colours of light depending on their size, Samsung said its SUHD TVs are able to produce the highest colour purity and light efficiency available today.

These are the first Samsung UHD TVs with quantum dot tech.

Should be good for some modest but real picture quality improvements.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not quite - the staff writer just picked a very awkward phrasing.

This part is the news:

These are the first Samsung UHD TVs with quantum dot tech.

Should be good for some modest but real picture quality improvements.
Only one problem. Advertising picture quality over the internet only makes it look as good as the monitor it's viewed on.

Keeper

Honorary Master
You know, Samsung is losing the ball with this Tizen crap.
Don't get me wrong, I love Samsung TV's.... but they should have gone Android like Sony did.

Samsung said it has also partnered with global games companies for a large and varied games catalogue.
Yeah, right.
Seriously, this is gonna end up like the Nokia N-Gage saga. A closed, custom, new ecosystem just isn't a good idea, when you have Google's android that already has 1000's of Apps & Games ready to go.
In what world would developers focus on Samsung's little new platform when they can make stuff for android that runs on a lot more devices and has 100000 times the market?

THEY MADE A SERIOUS MISTAKE HERE :erm:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Does the tv draw less power than a LED bulb? Is it so thin and light you can hang it like a painting?
No.
Eh. I'll stick to my 32 inch HD ready.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
You know, Samsung is losing the ball with this Tizen crap.
Don't get me wrong, I love Samsung TV's.... but they should have gone Android like Sony did.

I was gonna ask about that. Why not just stay with Android? A few years ago they tried that with their own platform on the Samsung Wave uniquely entitled Bada OS. Didn't work out too well for them.

genetic

Honorary Master
Only one problem. Advertising picture quality over the internet only makes it look as good as the monitor it's viewed on.

If you're* that stupid to judge picture quality of an image on the internet, then this TV is not for you.

*You being the general public.

kianm

Honorary Master
More curved screens. The only curves i'm interested in are on my woman :p

TJ99

Honorary Master
Can't wait for next year's 300 inch SUOMFGWTFBBQLGBTHD display that curves completely around your head and costs R200k.

TJ99

Honorary Master
I dont get the hype with the curved screens either..

It's this year's craze. Remember in 2012 when 3D was The New **** and all TV's had to have it and you couldn't sell your old TV if it didn't have 3D?

Remember that?

Or remember in 2013 when all TV's had to be SMART (meaning they had 2 useless apps and a frustratingly slow menu system unless you bought the expensive one)?

No? No-one does, they're onto the new ****. Because it's CURVED. You must buy it. It's got what plants crave, it's got electrolytes.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Who said anything about judging it on a monitor via Internet? I'm saying its going to be an improvement due to the tech being used. You'd have to really screw up to add QD and not get a improvement

Anyway... Reviews are in now and they say the same thing:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-01/05/samsung-suhd-tv

Swa

Honorary Master
If you're* that stupid to judge picture quality of an image on the internet, then this TV is not for you.

*You being the general public.
You completely miss the point. It's not about judging the quality but about the fact that nobody will be able to see the quality.