Samsung ATIV Smart PCs in South Africa

Great.

However, I went to a Samsung store recently and was told that they will have the Ativ Smart PC by end-November.

Expected price is R14,999.

I find this hard to believe and extremely hard to stomach given the fact that the Ativ tab is only R6,695 via Standard Bank.

Woah! I had my heart set on a Pro, but 18k?! I'll have to do some serious soul searching.

Well, if Samsung are going to play like that then we won't be friends.

Will wait for other OEMs to release their hybrid devices. Hope this is as high as the price bar goes.

LOL R10k for an Atom PC bwahaha i'm typing this on a R1000 10" atom Netbook

I'm willing to pay R4000 for an atom tablet at most and that's pushing it. Asus has the Vivo Tab Smart 10" atom for $499 without a dock.
Hopefully they'll bring it here for that otherwise the NEXUS 10 can have my money and keep it as long as it wants. :D

Last edited:
LOL R10k for an Atom PC bwahaha i'm typing this on a R1000 10" atom Netbook

I'm willing to pay R4000 for an atom tablet at most and that's pushing it. Asus has the Vivo Tab Smart 10" atom for $499 without a dock.
Hopefully they'll bring it here for that otherwise the NEXUS 10 can have my money and keep it as long as it wants. :D

The Asus Vivo tab Smart is a windows RT tab. To compare apples with apples, Asus's windows 8 tab is $799.

When you consider this is inline with the android and apple pricing (in US pricing at least), it doesn't seem that bad. Metro apps should run as fluid as their android/apple counterparts considering they were designed for low power systems. Add the flexibility of a fully fledged windows and it seems worth the premium to have one device with all the functionality.

The Asus Vivo tab Smart is a windows RT tab. To compare apples with apples, Asus's windows 8 tab is $799.

When you consider this is inline with the android and apple pricing (in US pricing at least), it doesn't seem that bad. Metro apps should run as fluid as their android/apple counterparts considering they were designed for low power systems. Add the flexibility of a fully fledged windows and it seems worth the premium to have one device with all the functionality.
They have an Asus Vivo tab Smart RT and normal Asus Vivo Tab Smart with an Atom cpu
I was correct, I'm also correct on the price $499 and I'm comparing apples with apples
Excuse you :p
http://liliputing.com/2012/10/asus-...b-smart-windows-8-tablets-for-499-and-up.html
Linkage

/Throws mic on the floor and walks off stage...

Insane local pricing... R 18 999.99 in SA, $ 1199.99 in USA! Is Samsung SA run by the Core Group?

Prices are insane. I'll wait for competition in this sector to drive prices down. Until then my laptop will do.

Any bets on how long the price is going to stay at that ridiculous level. Lets see what other manufacturers - Lenovo, Dell, HP etc pitch their pricing at.

Its crazy. I understand its one device, but at that price you may as well get one of them new Win8 touch laptops and a Note 10.1 tab.

I am not sure if Win8 OEMs (samsung in this case) are being realistic about what they are up against.

Even at R9,999 for the cheaper Smart PC I can go and buy a Win8 ordinary PC/Laptop and then an iPad with 3G.

Well this is rather disappointing. My Dell XPS 17 didn't cost that much :/

Back