Samsung curved monitor

marine1

Honorary Master
Need some advice in which monitor please.
I saw a client using some very nice looking Samsung curved monitors.
What I want to know is can these also be used for gaming ?
What is the performance like with gaming?
I want to use them for work as well as gaming in COD etc etc.
Preferably 2 of them for work next to each other.
I saw the following ones.
Would appreciate the advice.

S.Claus

I have 2x Samsung curved monitors an S27D590C connected to my GTX1060 and a LU28E590DS/EN (the LU28E590DS/EN doesn't have HDR or built-in speakers) that's connected to my PS4 Pro.

Used both monitors for gaming, music, work, and movies and I don't really have any complaints. It comes down to what your pc is capable of (144fps+ pro gamers and such), colour accuracy and budget

marine1

Honorary Master
I have 2x Samsung curved monitors an S27D590C connected to my GTX1060 and a LU28E590DS/EN (the LU28E590DS/EN doesn't have HDR or built-in speakers) that's connected to my PS4 Pro.

Used both monitors for gaming, music, work, and movies and I don't really have any complaints. It comes down to what your pc is capable of (144fps+ pro gamers and such), colour accuracy and budget
Is it this one

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Need some advice in which monitor please.
I saw a client using some very nice looking Samsung curved monitors.
What I want to know is can these also be used for gaming ?
What is the performance like with gaming?
I want to use them for work as well as gaming in COD etc etc.
I saw the following ones.
Would appreciate the advice.

1080p on 32"?
That's a bit rough don't you think? Even on 27" 1080p is a bit low.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I dont know that's why I am asking:D
You think it should be higher?
27" - ideally 1440p, but 1080p is not that bad.
32" - 1440p is decent, but I think 4K would be better. At 1080p you will probably be able to count the pixels at arms length.

Tun@

Expert Member
Might be 1st worth looking at price x 2 versus price x 1 of the 49" ones? Is a older & newer model of those around also (CHG + CRG) CRG the newer.

marine1

Honorary Master
So for UHD lets say curved 32" or maybe a little smaller, what would you recommend for gaming and work?
Using NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI
Want 2 monitors preferably, curved

genetic

Honorary Master
1050Ti is not good for 1080p max unfortunately. Doub't you'll even skim a constant 60fps in most modern games at 1080p with the 1050Ti.

You'll have to upgrade your GPU if anything more than 1 x 1080p monitor will bu used for any decent gaming.

1660 being the minimum for 1 x 1080p panel (gaming wise) in 2020.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
So for UHD lets say curved 32" or maybe a little smaller, what would you recommend for gaming and work?
Using NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI
Want 2 monitors preferably, curved
For gaming 4k 60fps you need a 2080Ti, but you don't need to game at 4k. You should be able to run games at 1080p with quality pretty much matching native 1080p.

I have a 4k 27" and a 1440p 32", and for work I use the 4k almost exclusively. The only need I have for my second monitor is running some stuff I don't really need open all the time, like spotify or outlook.

4K is literally 4 x 1080p, so I can have a browser, dev tools, and 2 x IDEs open on a single monitor, each at the same "size" as they would have been full screen on a 1080p display.
4k 27" is a bit small, but it works for me if the screen is wrist-distance from me.

genetic

Honorary Master
For gaming 4k 60fps you need a 2080Ti, but you don't need to game af 4k. You should be able to run games at 1080p with quality pretty much matching native 1080p.

I have a 4k 27" and a 1440p 32", and for work I use the 4k almost exclusively. The only need I have for my second monitor is running some stuff I don't really need open all the time, like spotify or outlook.

4K is literally 4 x 1080p, so I can have a browser, dev tools, and 2 x IDEs open on a single monitor, each at the same "size" as they would have been full screen on a 1080p display.
4k 27" is a bit small, but it works for me if the screen is wrist-distance from me.
+1

Either way, unless you're just displaying basic 2D everyday content , the 1050Ti is severely under-powered for even a 1 x 4K display.

marine1

Honorary Master
Thanks guys so lets say you want to run 2 x Monitors at 4k, one playing games like COD and the other for work stuff or both for work stuff - lets say max 32 inch monitors, what graphics card would you suggest?
Something like this?

genetic

Honorary Master
Thanks guys so lets say you want to run 2 x Monitors at 4k, one playing games like COD and the other for work stuff or both for work stuff - lets say max 32 inch monitors, what graphics card would you suggest?
Something like this?
No. Unfortunately you're stuck at 1080p resolutions with games like COD playing at anything with a 60p+ frame rate with a 1660.

You need at least a 2070 Super card if you want smooth frame rates around 60p. 4K gaming is REALLY expensive hardware-wise. Remember it's 4x the resolution of 1080p.

Also steer clear from Evetech...

Last edited:

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Are you really set on having 2 identical monitors?

I think a single 4K monitor is already great for work. You can then get a gaming monitor that runs at 1440p or 1080p and 144hz. 144hz makes a bigger difference for gaming than 4K.

Also, AMD will release "big navi" later this year, and nVidia will probably release the 3000 series, so I expect prices to come down.

* I don't recommend these monitors specifically as I haven't watched/read any reviews, nor do I recommend evetech, but wootware seems to be out of stock on everything.

Get your 4K monitor, and then something like this for gaming (or the LG that was on sale):

I also suggest getting monitors with vesa mounts if you go for different monitors for different uses at 32". I adjust my two monitors constantly as I switch between work and gaming, and my wife occasionally uses my second monitor as well.

Or, if you feel like you have money to blow, 2x 4K 144hz IPS monitors at 32" or 34" would be ideal.

genetic

Honorary Master
Are you really set on having 2 identical monitors?

I think a single 4K monitor is already great for work. You can then get a gaming monitor that runs at 1440p or 1080p and 144hz. 144hz makes a bigger difference for gaming than 4K.

Also, AMD will release "big navi" later this year, and nVidia will probably release the 3000 series, so I expect prices to come down.

* I don't recommend these monitors specifically as I haven't watched/read any reviews, nor do I recommend evetech, but wootware seems to be out of stock on everything.

I also suggest getting monitors with vesa mounts if you go for different monitors for different uses at 32". I
All monitors come with a vesa mount.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
All monitors come with a vesa mount.
This one doesnt:

The arm does have its limitations: it cannot rotate the display, it cannot swivel the screen, and it doesn’t use the standard VESA mounting system, so you can’t change the monitor out if you want something different.

marine1

Honorary Master
Thanks guys so max 4k should be a 32 inch.
Maybe I must look at something less high spec.
Not really wanting to have different monitors woukd like 2 of the same on VESA mounts as described above.
Appreciate the feedback and education lesson.