Samsung curved UHD TV open for pre-order

DJ...

Banned
I still do not understand curved screens. Not on TVs, and certainly not on cellphones.

Can anyone explain to me the benefit of having your screen arced like this?

RichardG

Honorary Master
Wait until next year and you will see the price drop substantially to half that.

xera

Expert Member
Well for a single viewer it could make sense, as each pixel is perpendicular to you..... I guess...

saor

Honorary Master
Well for a single viewer it could make sense, as each pixel is perpendicular to you..... I guess...
I'd imagine that only being noticeable / effective on screens close to cinema-size. I've also seen somewhere that (due to the perpendicularity in a curved screen) the pixels nearer the edge retain their full color (unlike when they're seen from an angle), but again - it must be so negligible on a small scale as to render these screens gimmicky.

grok

Honorary Master
I still do not understand curved screens. Not on TVs, and certainly not on cellphones.

Can anyone explain to me the benefit of having your screen arced like this?

It's technical and has to do with the distance from your eyes to the centre of the screen vs. the distance to the edge of the screen. In a flat screen with you sitting in the middle, the distance from your eyes to the edges of the tv is slightly longer that from your eyes to the centre of the screen. Pythagoras proved this to be the case.

The result is either that the edges of the picture has to be slowed down a smidgen to make up for the longer light travel time, else you'll get what's commonly referred to 'ghosting' around the edges of the picture, or the screen has to progressively come closer to your eyes the further from the centre so you can see the whole picture all at the exact same time.

That's basically what they did, they bent the screen to come closer to your eyes, eliminating the need for fancy electronics to compensate. Obviously this is only needed on the horisontal, since your eyes are binocular (next to each other) and not on top of each other. Also the reason why it's only done for larger screens, on small screens the extra distance is negligable.

It could also just mean that in a flat world the curved ones stand out i.e. you'll be the one shouting to your mates 'come watch the game on my new CURVED screen' instead of being invited to look at someone elses curved screen, all the while alternating between silently cursing yourself that you didn't think of getting one first and/or wishing your had such an eye-distance compensating marvel of electronic consumerism in your living room.

:cool: hehe

xera

Expert Member
I'd imagine that only being noticeable / effective on screens close to cinema-size. I've also seen somewhere that (due to the perpendicularity in a curved screen) the pixels nearer the edge retain their full color (unlike when they're seen from an angle), but again - it must be so negligible on a small scale as to render these screens gimmicky.

But the cons outweigh the pro's in this regard, as it becomes unpleasant when you have a crowd over to watch your 4K curved TV when only you have the sweetspot...

saor

Honorary Master
But the cons outweigh the pro's in this regard, as it becomes unpleasant when you have a crowd over to watch your 4K curved TV when only you have the sweetspot...
Agreed. Although there's probably plenty lonesome nerds with money to spend :D.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
It's technical and has to do with the distance from your eyes to the centre of the screen vs. the distance to the edge of the screen. In a flat screen with you sitting in the middle, the distance from your eyes to the edges of the tv is slightly longer that from your eyes to the centre of the screen. Pythagoras proved this to be the case.

To be technical, Pythagoras only managed to calculate the difference in distance.

I call BS on the rest of your explanation (or was that the idea and I fell for it?). The distance difference at the speed of light is completely negligible. Your last paragraph might be closest to the truth, i.e. gimmickry.

BGE

Expert Member
4K... lovely... curved... Bull$h|t! It's just another market gimmick to try make millions of people say... "ooooo... I got to have one of those"... and then fork out exhorbitant amounts of money to own one... on a huge IMAX screen sure... but really it's just a bs marketing ploy on this size TV.

Curved screens will make sense in other applications, like some artsy 360deg wrap around tv display at a science expo...but not for a general home screen!

bromster

Executive Member
I am not very educated in the intricacies of TVs, but from all of the articles I have read, they curved the screen simply because they could. Apparently the new panel technology facilitates it, so they just did it. I think 90% of people who see it ask "why?", but the manufacturers have since created the usual hype around it and as usual, everybody has to have one.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
The curve is supposed to make the color vibrance more uniform. Personally I don't think it could make such a difference as to be worth it. Also calling it at marketing gimmick like 3d.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
4K... lovely... curved... Bull$h|t! It's just another market gimmick to try make millions of people say... "ooooo... I got to have one of those"... and then fork out exhorbitant amounts of money to own one... on a huge IMAX screen sure... but really it's just a bs marketing ploy on this size TV.

Curved screens will make sense in other applications, like some artsy 360deg wrap around tv display at a science expo...but not for a general home screen!

Well, it's working, since I got to have one of those!!! :p

kianm

Honorary Master
Patiently waiting for the year 4K Tv prices will be within affordable range, i see it coming sooner than expected :) . But the curved screen is just a gimmick

ProAsm

Expert Member
If nothing else, it will at least reduce the price of current flat screens making them affordable to more people ;)
Maybe the whole thing is just a very clever sales pitch.

kdub

I am just about to order a 65" UHD tv, but this curved screen only about 10K more than the f9000.. hmmm.. decisions decisions...

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack

The result is either that the edges of the picture has to be slowed down a smidgen to make up for the longer light travel time, else you'll get what's commonly referred to 'ghosting' around the edges of the picture, or the screen has to progressively come closer to your eyes the further from the centre so you can see the whole picture all at the exact same time.

That's basically what they did, they bent the screen to come closer to your eyes, eliminating the need for fancy electronics to compensate. Obviously this is only needed on the horisontal, since your eyes are binocular (next to each other) and not on top of each other. Also the reason why it's only done for larger screens, on small screens the extra distance is negligable.

It could also just mean that in a flat world the curved ones stand out i.e. you'll be the one shouting to your mates 'come watch the game on my new CURVED screen' instead of being invited to look at someone elses curved screen, all the while alternating between silently cursing yourself that you didn't think of getting one first and/or wishing your had such an eye-distance compensating marvel of electronic consumerism in your living room.

:cool: hehe

People have been watching normal uncurved screens for decades without any distance issues!

Curved is just another gimmick. R400K for a TV? Fukking crazy man!