Samsung Galaxy A Series ( 2019)

ronz91

Expert Member
so I have had my A50 for a week now, thought I would drop some thoughts on here:
  • I was originally gonna get the A30 cash but Telkom offering the A50 for 269pm for a dual sim unit was too good to pass up
  • This is a 4gb ram model even though it has 128gb storage,which normally gets 6gb. SA seems to be getting a lower version. Similarly to the Huawei P30 Lite also coming with 4gb in SA, unlike the 6gb on other models.
  • The phone comes with clear protective case and installed screen protector.
  • Really enjoying the screen, crisp and clear. I am coming from LCD and Amoled was a driver in wanting a Galaxy. Samsung's gestures make the tallness easier to deal with.
  • Battery life is not as amazing as I thought it would be. I generally try to use the phone between 80% and 30%. I think a full charge would get most people through the day comfortably. Charger in the box is decently fast.
  • Performance has been very reliable. I have not seen any slow downs or dropped frames yet. I don't really game much but I downloaded PUBG to try out. Will report back when I have time to use it.
  • Camera performance seems okay so far. Have not played around alot yet. Going to use the 25mp res for bright shots and 12mp with pixel binning for darker shots as suggested by gsmarena in their review. Ultra wide photos do distort a lot around the edges.
  • The under display fingerprint sensor is definitely the weak point. Its not unusable but it definitely is finicky. Lighting around you seems to affect performance. When it does work, it is slower than capacitive sensors and the S10 sensor.
  • Speaker performance is decently loud. Really like the Dolby Stereo option for headphones and I listen to alot of podcasts.
  • Having used stock Android, I was worried about Samsungs notoriously bloated skins. But One UI on top of Android Pie has been great. Really useful features and I was able to use what I wanted the way I wanted.
Hopefully I will post up something more comprehensive soon. Drop me any specific questions you have.

game@holic

I picked up an A50 over the past week. I must say that I am loving the phone. I don't feel guilty of spending too much like some of the flagship phones cost, yet I really get a great experience with the essentials.

I am struggling to find a good case and screen guard though. I normally purchase the Spigen cases but they are not available as yet. I emailed Spigen and they said that they do plan to release cases for the A50, though they are just not available as yet.

Any idea where I can get a good bumper case and screen guard (glass). I know that a case is provided in the box, but I need a more durable one for gym right now.

ronz91

Expert Member
I picked up an A50 over the past week. I must say that I am loving the phone. I don't feel guilty of spending too much like some of the flagship phones cost, yet I really get a great experience with the essentials.

I am struggling to find a good case and screen guard though. I normally purchase the Spigen cases but they are not available as yet. I emailed Spigen and they said that they do plan to release cases for the A50, though they are just not available as yet.

Any idea where I can get a good bumper case and screen guard (glass). I know that a case is provided in the box, but I need a more durable one for gym right now.
Managed to find a tougher transparent case?