Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 review (MyBroadband)

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I agree with this review.

I am very disappointed with the Note 10.1. As a big fan of the Note phablet (and standing ready to upgrade to the Note 2) I expected this tablet to also push the tech boundaries like its smaller phablet sibling ... but it doesn't. The screen resolution kills it. Not good enough at this point in tablet evolution. This is a Korean thing. I always stand amazed at the stupid mistakes they make (Samsung and LG) amongst some truly brilliant innovations. I'm typing this on a stunning new Samsung netbook (solar nogál) that really impresses in every way ... except for the emergency recovery CD/DVD that came with it despite the netbook not having such a drive. What would it have added to the price to have included a USB stick or SD card with the image on? One can still get around this but the screen res on the Note 10.1 is just plain stupid when they knew already what the competitors were bringing out (Asus, iPad).

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I wish HTC would return to the Android tablet market. With the Flyer they showed how it should be done ... had all the right stuff to beat the socks off the iPad ... but then HTC stopped its tablet business. The Flyer was over-priced when it hit the market and that was the only mistake HTC made ... but it was a lethal blow. Rumours have it that they might be working on a new tablet ... which I hope to be true. For now the Asus Infinity is king of the Android tablet hill.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Nexus 7 is king of Android tablets right now. HTC Flyer.. I'm a bit puzzled what made it a lethal blow? It was a pretty standard tablet iirc. Most you could say is it was quite nice and fast.

The Note 10.1 is bafflingly inept. So is the Tab 2 10.1. I can't figure out why Samsung thought they were competitive products versus other high end Android tabs, never mind the iPad3.

Ricard

Expert Member
Nexus 7 is king of Android tablets right now. HTC Flyer.. I'm a bit puzzled what made it a lethal blow? It was a pretty standard tablet iirc. Most you could say is it was quite nice and fast.

The Note 10.1 is bafflingly inept. So is the Tab 2 10.1. I can't figure out why Samsung thought they were competitive products versus other high end Android tabs, never mind the iPad3.
As an owner of a Samsung Tablet and a Nexus 7, the fatal flaw in Samsung is the Cost and the in-built obsolescence that arrives a bit too soon. The Samsung price point competes with the Ipad - and unfortunately the fruity product is the benchmark.
The Nexus7 comes close to the Ipads UI fluidity and features at a cost point that many people wont cry about.

I do like the Samsung tablets, but they fragmented their own market.

cerebus

Honorary Master
The nexus7 is almost impossible to compete with at the 7' form. It's so cheap and well specced, and build is so strong, and Google absorbed the profit to such an extent that it's a no brainer for consumers. I guess it was a necessary move for them but it can't sit well in the craw of their hardware partners.

Joe Average

I, for one, am waiting on the MS Surface to make its local debut. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Cerebus ... the too high price was the lethal blow that killed the Flyer.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Cerebus ... the too high price was the lethal blow that killed the Flyer.
Oh yah sorry. There were some decent contracts with it, I was going to get one actually but it was sold out. Good screen that.

Valerion

Expert Member
I am quite happy with my Note 10.1. I got the WiFi-only version. Usage-wise I don't find any major issues with it. In smoothness the UI is comparable to my SIII (I don't notice stutter/lag too much), and for the things I use it for the screen resolution is usable. I tend to hold it relatively far from me anyway, so the extra resolution in going to 1080 wouldn't have helped me a great deal. And the pen is amazing for drawing things with.

One issue I have is the screen auto-brightness. I put a screen protector on, and the screen brightness is always too low for me indoors. If I switch the auto-brightness off and manually adjust I can see quite clearly on it.

TheBossMan

Expert Member
Also this should have shipped with Jelly Bean. So many features I was looking forward to not working because of Ice Cream Sandwich.

deonvw

I bought one a little while ago. So far I am also very happy. Bought from a well known pc company for R2300 less than what samsung shops offered (sic) Pity Jelly Bean not stock issue, but hopefully come along quickly.

One very particular issue I picked up with the N8000 when using it to log into my absa stockbroker site (on the internet) it accept the username and password and actually open up the portfolio. But thats where it freezes. Can't select any menu etc on the site. So I am very disappointed on this problem and still searching around to hear if anybody else is experiencing this and any possible fix

All in all I am happy