Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (fanbois only please, no trolls)

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
My Note 4 has risen from the Ashes. Don't ask me how or why, but I am now posting this from it. It'd almost as if it sorted that whole eMMC error on its own.

Also just did the update with the August Security patch.

Phone seems to be running just fine, fast and smooth.

Good to know that if anything happens to my Note8, I'll have this beast to fallback on.

airborne

Executive Member
Does anyone else have random times when your Note 4 will lose the network completely, it'll show no network icon at all, switching airplane mode on/off doesn't help and then the only fix is to pull the battery, then it's perfect again?

avk

Anybody know where I can lay my hands on a new m/board for the Note 4? The eMMC chip finally went a few weeks ago. In the meanwhile I have a second phone, but would like t be able to fix the Note. It just does everything I want, and I can't see paying a crapload of money for a new phone if I can fix this one.

Or perhaps you know of a written off Note 4 somewhere with a busted screen or something, that still has a working motherboard?

airborne

Executive Member
Place a wanted ad in the classifieds and carbonite, someone must have one with a cracked screen lying around.

You can also pick them up for close to R2k these days, I still use mine, I have no desire or need to upgrade. Its so awesome having a fast amazing phone that doesn't cost the earth if I lose it or crack the screen its no trainsmash in terms of cost to repair/replace.

airborne

Executive Member
i see theres a daily deal today on note 4 batterys from raztek for R250
I've heard Raztek batteries are rubbish, same quality as you would find in a Pakistani cell shop just more expensive.

Even the Duracell Note 4 battery is pretty junk, mine had excellent life and then the phone suddenly started switching off at around 80% when using that battery, one of the cells have obviously gone awol. Tried flattening it completely and recharging a few times but it's toast.

ros_b

Can anyone recommend where to buy a new, decent battery for the Note 4? Retail (Joburg) not online - going overseas in less than a week so can't wait for delivery, with all the public holidays.

ros_b

Does anyone else have random times when your Note 4 will lose the network completely, it'll show no network icon at all, switching airplane mode on/off doesn't help and then the only fix is to pull the battery, then it's perfect again?
This has been happening to me. But only since getting back to Joburg from Harare a couple of days ago. Was fine in Harare for 3 weeks, so I thought it was just crappy Cell C coverage at home. But I don't recall having coverage issues at home with my previous phone (the Note 4 is newly acquired).

airborne

Executive Member
This has been happening to me. But only since getting back to Joburg from Harare a couple of days ago. Was fine in Harare for 3 weeks, so I thought it was just crappy Cell C coverage at home. But I don't recall having coverage issues at home with my previous phone (the Note 4 is newly acquired).
I had it happening often and lately hardly at all, once every week or 2 if that.

airborne

Executive Member
Has any one tried the Note 4 batteries that would typically be sold at Pakistani shops?

My Duracell batt worked fine but then just randomly died and I'm not keen to fork out that much for another one.
I still love my Note 4 but the battery life on the original batt that I have to use now isn't great.

If the Pakistani batteries are as rubbish as they normally are where can I buy an original Samung Note 4 battery?

ros_b

I bought a new Note 4 from the website dx.com. I bought my previous Note 4 from that website in May last year, and it was perfect - then it got nicked at Newlands Cricket Stadium. So I ordered another one. Well this one is extremely problematic. The battery sometimes depletes really fast, with the phone running extremely hot. Other times, the battery seems to be going ok, then suddenly, the phone turns off (with the battery showing maybe 70%, maybe 50%, maybe 30% - it varies) and when I turn it back on, it shows zero battery. Sometimes if I take the battery out, leave it for a bit and put it back in, it turns back on and shows, say, 30% battery. But not always. And sometimes the phone seems to react a bit sluggishly.

I took it to a Samsung shop in Rosebank and the guy said he doesn't think it's the battery itself, but is a software issue, but since it was bought overseas, they can't check the software. Now I'm in India, and I'm told the same thing - they can't do anything since it's an overseas phone.

Any ideas?

airborne

Executive Member
I bought a new Note 4 from the website dx.com. I bought my previous Note 4 from that website in May last year, and it was perfect - then it got nicked at Newlands Cricket Stadium. So I ordered another one. Well this one is extremely problematic. The battery sometimes depletes really fast, with the phone running extremely hot. Other times, the battery seems to be going ok, then suddenly, the phone turns off (with the battery showing maybe 70%, maybe 50%, maybe 30% - it varies) and when I turn it back on, it shows zero battery. Sometimes if I take the battery out, leave it for a bit and put it back in, it turns back on and shows, say, 30% battery. But not always. And sometimes the phone seems to react a bit sluggishly.

I took it to a Samsung shop in Rosebank and the guy said he doesn't think it's the battery itself, but is a software issue, but since it was bought overseas, they can't check the software. Now I'm in India, and I'm told the same thing - they can't do anything since it's an overseas phone.

Any ideas?
Definitely sounds like a dodgy battery. Look on Sammobile fro updated firmware for your phone version.

ros_b

Definitely sounds like a dodgy battery. Look on Sammobile fro updated firmware for your phone version.
I've had a look at that site - is it safe to do this? It wont void any Samsung warranty, or anything like that?

airborne

Executive Member
I've had a look at that site - is it safe to do this? It wont void any Samsung warranty, or anything like that?
You really think you are going to have much joy shipping it back to Dx to use the "warranty", nope.

Just Google a bit and follow the instructions to a tee, I've used their firmware many times and yet to have any issue.

ros_b

You really think you are going to have much joy shipping it back to Dx to use the "warranty", nope.
Hahahaha... yeah, I guess I'm a bit naive, though I thought that warranties apply worldwide? Certainly I've had my warranty honoured by IBM for a laptop bought in the USA.

Just Google a bit and follow the instructions to a tee, I've used their firmware many times and yet to have any issue.
Yup, did a lot of reading on this last night, though I still don't really understand it. How do I know which or whose/which firmware might sort out the problem? It seems a waste to void the warranty for a "solution" that may not even work. How do I know that I'm even installing different firmware from what I have?

airborne

Executive Member
Many laptop warranties are intl but few if any cell phones are.

You need to identify the hardware version of your phone and then ideally get the "BTU" unbranded(no operator logos or bloat ware) firmware for that model.

How much was the Note 4 from Dx and are you sure its not a clone?

ros_b

You need to identify the hardware version of your phone and then ideally get the "BTU" unbranded(no operator logos or bloat ware) firmware for that model.
How do I identify the "hardware version"? The model number is SM-910U, "Baseband version" is N910UXXS2DRA2 and the "Build number" is MMB29K.N910UXXS2DRA2.

How much was the Note 4 from Dx and are you sure its not a clone?
It was $280. This: http://www.dx.com/p/samsung-galaxy-note-4-n910u-phone-w-3gb-ram-32gb-rom-gold-852451878

I'm not sure it's not a clone - how would I check? What would clue me in? When I first started the phone, it did prompt me to log in to my Samsung account.

airborne

Executive Member
SM-910U is what you use to find the correct firmware.

Have close look at the phone build quality, box contents and printing quality etc

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
My Note 4 is turning 4 tomorrow and needs a new battery. This past weeks battery life took a dive, otherwise I am perfectly happy to run it with it.

Any suggestions for a source for a new battery, original preferred? I could not find any store on Amazon that would ship out a battery. In fact I am facing an issue with the Huawei E5573 router having a bulging battery and my Dell E6530 having a 20min battery life as well and cannot find sources that will ship batteries from overseas. Locally Takealot have a few compatibles with bad reviews.

Leaving me with needing to replace the complete devices that are working perfectly fine.

airborne

Executive Member
My Note 4 is turning 4 tomorrow and needs a new battery. This past weeks battery life took a dive, otherwise I am perfectly happy to run it with it.

Any suggestions for a source for a new battery, original preferred? I could not find any store on Amazon that would ship out a battery. In fact I am facing an issue with the Huawei E5573 router having a bulging battery and my Dell E6530 having a 20min battery life as well and cannot find sources that will ship batteries from overseas. Locally Takealot have a few compatibles with bad reviews.

Leaving me with needing to replace the complete devices that are working perfectly fine.
I'm stuck with the same issue, Wefix says they can order an original one for R800 or you can try a Pakistani shop fake one(they look almost identical) for R100-150, they aren't so great but they do work. The Duracell ones are ok when they work(mine one day just died, randomly dropping from 70% to phone switching off), they don't have NFC chips though.