Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (fanbois only please, no trolls)

airborne

Executive Member
And what you know!?

Security update released and installed yesterday on my Exynos N910C note 4, on stock firmware and its a locally purchased handset, not a grey import.

Could Samsung possibly be trying to compete with Apple and release updates(security updates is good enough for me) for more extended periods on their older phones, that has been a criticism of Android vs iPhone, iPhones get updates for longer.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I'm stuck with the same issue, Wefix says they can order an original one for R800 or you can try a Pakistani shop fake one(they look almost identical) for R100-150, they aren't so great but they do work. The Duracell ones are ok when they work(mine one day just died, randomly dropping from 70% to phone switching off), they don't have NFC chips though.
I purchased one from a Pakistani shop (R80) but did not install it though. I got a E5573 battery from them for R150 (likely original) that works well. The Note 4 life did improve after that 2 weeks of poor performance. Don't know if it recalibrated or it was an issue with Telkom drain, although my version is 3G HSDPA only and not LTE.

I can sometimes stream a full football game (WIFI) and still have plenty of life. Some days I keep it unused at work and the battery is at 60% at 1PM. During the holiday period some days it could sit unused and drop to a mere 90% in a similar period. Having said this I cannot trust it once it drops to under 28% - on occasion it died quickly.

I have knocked it to the floor a few times and no panic, pick it up and put back into my pocket. Played with a Note9 ( meh), I would have heart palpitations if that happened. Looks like I will run with this until the battery is impossible, or banking app or DSTV now requirements forces an upgrade.

airborne

Executive Member
What!
Does the Huawei E5573 battery fit perfectly in a Note 4?

I also love how tough my Note 4 is and have no desire to upgrade barring getting a new battery.

Edit, OK you probably also bought the E5573 battery from them and it works fine in the router.

Last edited:

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
And what you know!?

Security update released and installed yesterday on my Exynos N910C note 4, on stock firmware and its a locally purchased handset, not a grey import.

Could Samsung possibly be trying to compete with Apple and release updates(security updates is good enough for me) for more extended periods on their older phones, that has been a criticism of Android vs iPhone, iPhones get updates for longer.

Woah! Very impressive!

My Note 4 is on Germany FW, last update was in 2017 if I am not mistaken, but will check when I get home.

Tell me something, what's the Security Patch month, is it December 2018? I'd be incredibly impressed if they are still releasing for a phone this old. Still such a fantastic device all these years. Mine had died but a few weeks ago it miraculously turned on, lol.

airborne

Executive Member
Woah! Very impressive!

My Note 4 is on Germany FW, last update was in 2017 if I am not mistaken, but will check when I get home.

Tell me something, what's the Security Patch month, is it December 2018? I'd be incredibly impressed if they are still releasing for a phone this old. Still such a fantastic device all these years. Mine had died but a few weeks ago it miraculously turned on, lol.
Good question, checked now and it looks like the security patch is ancient :(

Build date Mon, 03 Dec 2018 06:01:09 +0000. Security patch date is 2017-08-01, with changelist 12947489.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-note4/SM-N910C/XFM/download/N910CXXS2DRL1/251194/

I would not install this update just yet, after updating every so often my phone gets stuck and can't switch from LTE to 3G to make a call, it's happened 4 or 5 times already, mtn samsung phone right next to me will not have the issue(plenty 3G) and this never happened before the update. I have to restart the phone to be able to make calls, going in and out of Airplane mode doesn't help. Tried a cache clear, didn't help, network setting reset - provisionally helping, will report back after a few days.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
My SM-910H is 3G only and has received a update notification this morning . This being one of the more neglected models. I have not applied the update as yet. This version does not allow roll back. "Efficient memory managment" does worry me. Sometimes I have over 15 Chrome tabs and a few background apps that I do not want to reload. Especially for sites with dynamic content, older headlines that I want to read later gets pushed away on a page refresh.

airborne

Executive Member
Why would they only be pushing a 1.5yr old security patch now or even bothering with it this late in game?

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
My phone was dropping from 80% to rebooting last week, occurred randomly and whenever I took a picture. Once it rebooted it was stuck in a boot loop and when I added a charger it charged from 0%. I tried the FW update that I was holding back, and it did not resolve the issues.

Finally I replaced the battery with the R80 fake that was too tight but I was past the point of caring. A week later it seems to have settled down. I pulled it out of the charger at 5AM yesterday, and 33 hours later it is sitting at 49%. True it has mostly been idle in the period, but the old battery would be 30% at 8 hours, before the most recent nosedive in performance.

4 months to it turning 5 years old. I wonder how many S6 and Note 5's and above have been retired following bad batteries that could not be user replaced.

Bosbouer

Refresh your old Note 4 with the latest Resurrection rom and S-pen apps from Tushar Dudani. The rom is based on Android 9. Finger print sensor working. Not impressed with the camera. But I'm probably spoiled the cameras found on the latest phones....
As always: Root at your own Risk