Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-I9100) to get ICS on March 10th

Mark.K

Saw this on http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-ics/

I wonder how long it will take for it to come to South Africa feel like it will breath some new life into my phone :) I am kinda disappointed with the service we get here when it comes to updates. When I look at other countries it looks like they are getting updates a lot faster and I don't want to have to jail break my phone to get decent updates.

Anyways hope its going to be an awesome weekend!!! :)

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
If you want ICS now just Root your phone, there's lots of good ICS roms that's worth trying. Have been running ICS on my phone for about a month now.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

Any ROMs you would recommend?

Mark.K

Hope your wrong hey and I'm kind of scared to do the rooting thing plus don't feel a need if I can get the official thing. Hears hoping hey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Dom1n8tr1x

Expert Member
Hope your wrong hey and I'm kind of scared to do the rooting thing plus don't feel a need if I can get the official thing. Hears hoping hey

I know the feeling but rooting a Galaxy S2 is one of the easiest things to do and you can unroot if the need arises. Once you owned a rooted phone you'll never go back to stock.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

Mark.K

Well if it does not come by Monday then I might give into temptation and root it:rolleyes:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
This is what seriously frustrates me with Android. With iOS everybody gets the new OS at the same time. With Android it is a whole different story where users are forced to go geek to use ROM's. Google must sort this out ASAP. Surely the likes of Samsung had ICS long enough ahead of the official release to sort TouchWiz out. If the argument is that it is carrier dependant then why is Apple not struggling with that?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The more I use Android the clearer the weaknesses are becoming ... and I don't see how Google is going to get them fixed. ICS was supposed to stop the problem of shotgun release schedules but how on earth is Google going to get Samsung and all the other OEM's to get the same date for release when everyone wants to mess around with their own layers on top of Android? The OEM's need differentiation and this is where they will always need space ... and this is where Android fails in relation to iOS.

K

kingrob

The more I use Android the clearer the weaknesses are becoming ... and I don't see how Google is going to get them fixed. ICS was supposed to stop the problem of shotgun release schedules but how on earth is Google going to get Samsung and all the other OEM's to get the same date for release when everyone wants to mess around with their own layers on top of Android? The OEM's need differentiation and this is where they will always need space ... and this is where Android fails in relation to iOS.

It is a very valid point.

ICS has been out now for a while, yet it is not officially released for South Africa. Go figure....

Somehow Google and the manufacturers will have to get together and sort this out, once and for all.