Samsung Galaxy S III mini reveal coming Thursday 11 October

HBee

Expert Member
The specs are only rumors till later today, but I do find it funny how underwhelmed everybody is with the rumored specs, when they are about on par with the iphone5.

In fact I will find it very funny is the mini has a similar hardware spec to the iphone 5, but carries the "mini" moniker.

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
The specs are only rumors till later today, but I do find it funny how underwhelmed everybody is with the rumored specs, when they are about on par with the iphone5.
Screen size... tick.
Everything else...... not so much hey.

In fact I will find it very funny is the mini has a similar hardware spec to the iphone 5, but carries the "mini" moniker.
Ja it's getting a bit bizarre hey.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Screen size... tick.
Everything else...... not so much hey.

Yeah lots of things like screen res,cam,cpu don't seem to be as good as the iphone 5.Maybe it'll be priced cheap but still calling it an s3 is just stupid since its not high end.

cerebus

Honorary Master
The problem is that miniaturisation of similar specs is costly, especially high-density screens and getting the same SoC/LTE chip into a smaller form without sacrificing battery life. So it's unrealistic to hope that it would be cheaper if they literally shrunk the SGS3. But I think people would demand that it would be cheaper because with current Android phone scaling size is literally equated with quality. Maybe they're just testing the waters but somebody really ought to make the step of experimentally producing a real top-tier 4" phone.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
4-inch Samsung Galaxy S III mini officially unveiled

No, we didn’t scale the images wrong, it's the new Samsung I8190 Galaxy S III mini that was just announced in Germany. Brought on by an increasing demand for 4" droids with good specs, the S III mini wants to please people who find the 4.8" screen of its big brother to be just too big.

Bearing the S III title, the mini has the same nature-inspired design as the big S III and the Galaxy Note II. And it will be running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean at launch with the same TouchWiz customizations that its bigger siblings enjoy, like S Voice and Smart Stay.

Looks aside, the specs of the I8190 Galaxy S III mini doesn’t quite live up to its name. It has a 4" Super AMOLED screen of WVGA resolution (and a PenTile matrix). Inside is a ST-Ericsson NovaThor chipset with two Cortex-A9 cores, ticking at 1GHz, 1GB of RAM and a Mali-400 GPU.

The main camera has a 5MP sensor and an LED flash and it's capable of shooting 720p video. There's a VGA front-facing camera too.

The Samsung Galaxy S III mini offers quad-band 2G and tri-band 3G connectivity (with 14.4Mbps HSDPA and 5.76Mbps HSUPA), dual-band Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC. The internal storage comes in 8GB or 16GB versions and there's a microSD card slot if you need more.

Basically, the whole Samsung I8190 Galaxy S III mini is a Galaxy S/Galaxy S II hybrid (with almost the exact same specs as the I9070 Galaxy S Advance) that was styled to look like a Galaxy S III.

The dimensions of the phone are 121.6 x 63 x 9.9 mm and it weighs 111.5g and the battery has 1500mAh capacity.
We're still waiting on the launch date and pricing info to come in.

lucifir

Expert Member
now that this was a FAIL .... any suggestions on a 4" LTE phone??
the S3 would be fine, but it does not have LTE and I do not want to get a new phone in a year :)

ClintZA

Banned
Not sure how smart it is of Samsung to dilute the "Galaxy S" name like this...

falcon786

Honorary Master
Not sure how smart it is of Samsung to dilute the "Galaxy S" name like this...

Not very smart at all,a complete fail IMO.

Very very disappointed in Samsung right now...pathetic.

Its a good mid ranger but to name it S3 was really the pits of marketing bull.