Samsung Galaxy S10+ Mini Review

FluxX17

Received the phone Monday 4/3/19 after pre-ordering. I ordered the 128gb Prism Black S10+ through Telkom Mobile.

Model SM-G975F/DS
Its the dual sim variant.

The packaging was good the box contained:
-1 x USB type-c cable
-1 x standard Samsung Charger as with the previous phones
-1 x micro USB to type-c adapter
-1 x plastic case
-1 x eject pin
-1 x earphones tuned by AKG
and a few quick start guides etc...

Summary of Specs
Display : Dynamic AMOLED 1440 x 3040 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~522 ppi density)
Chipset : Exynos 9820 Octa (8 nm)
Storage: 128gb (not certain if larger capacity is available in S.A)
RAM : 8 GB
Camera : 12 MP (Main) Variable aperture
12 MP (Telephoto)
16 MP (Ultrawide)
-- Features: 2160p@60fps, 1080p@240fps, 720p@960fps, HDR, dual-video rec

Battery : 4100mah Lithium Ion
Other Features : Fingerprint (under display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2 ,Fast charging + wireless

The device looks absolutely gorgeous with amazing build quality ,housing gorilla glass 6 on the rear and front of the phone and the frame/side bezel is made from a silver aluminum i believe. The phone also came pre installed with a good quality film screen protector which I was delighted about as installing those have been problematic in the past. So i inserted my sim and applied my own 3SIXT case I purchased a few day prior, the case that came with the phone was very basic and felt more like a temporal measure but I didn't expect anything more than that.

Powered on the device , greeted by the Samsung boot animation and swift startup. Immediately was blown away by the Dynamic AMOLED 6,4 " Display. The colour vibrance and pixel density is insane and makes other smartphones look pale in comparison . I began logging into my accounts and installing majority of my personal apps. The ONE UI is much better, I had no delays , applications open very quickly thanks to the Exynos 9820 chipset. I tried Bixby out for a brief moment and noticed there was much less delay due to the dedicated NPU on the chipset.

Photo and Videos also look pretty good which is no surprise . The phone has 3 lens , a main camera , a telephoto and a wide angle. Not going to go into to much detail other than the ultra wide gives an amazing perspective to photos. The video stabilzation is also the best seen on a smartphone thus far. Software AI also adjust images based on the composition and can be disabled manually. Rear camera supports 4k 60fps but only the 1080p 60fps mode has video stabilization. The HDR 10 standard makes contrasts and colours saturate nicely , particularly in shadows. Front camera makes selfies look pretty decent especially with the depth sensor.

Battery Life is excellent , the 4100mah battery along with the optimized ONE UI can probably hit 7-8 hours sot unfortunately I have not done a complete battery drain test yet. Wireless charging is faster than previous devices too. Something that has surprised me is how well the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner works, its fast and seamless. Being beneath the display makes a huge difference versus struggling to find the rear optic reader on the rear of previous devices.

The sound quality of the device is very good, has dual stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos , it has good lows and clear treble. Also tuned by AKG. The display outputs 1440 x 3040 pixels, 19:9 ratio with 1200 nits (brighter than most HDR tvs) watching videos and playing games are incredible. The only complaint I have this far is the phone gets rather warm for my liking while gaming, now whether this is exclusive to the Exynos chipset will have to be seen as its running on a slightly less efficient 8nm process vs the 7nm Snapdragon 855 variant (available in the US and China).

Overall Im loving the GS10+ its a beast of a Smartphone, just received the first ota update today which makes the bixby button remapable to virtually any app. I just hope future updates can somehow solve the heating issue while gaming otherwise hopefully I provided some decent info as a fellow South African, I'm not a professional reviewer just a tech enthusiast so don't judge.
I have also ordered the Galaxy Buds and claimed a R500 accessory voucher as this is part of the worldwide pre order deal. Let me know if you have any questions to those who are waiting for their device :)

I uploaded some pics (courtesy of my s8+) and included a Geekbench multicore test and an Antutu benchmark.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
has dual stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos , it has good lows and clear treble. Also tuned by AKG.
Impossible. Dolby Atmos requires a minimum of 7 discrete loudspeakers in a room. I wish they wouldn't resort to BS marketing like this.

FluxX17

Impossible. Dolby Atmos requires a minimum of 7 discrete loudspeakers in a room. I wish they wouldn't resort to BS marketing like this.
Well there is a binaural codec for Atmos ,the binaural rendition on two speakers has more space and detail than plain stereo but it sounds uncanny and not nearly the same experience as with the 7.1". I agree though its is market gimmick more than anything.

FluxX17

Got the dual sim version? I see it says duos on the box
Yes correct, thanks for reminding me I left the info out. Here is the install config if u using two sims.It does occupy a the sd card slot.