Samsung Galaxy S2 - MTN Ice Cream Sandwich official update

MDE

Expert Member
Probably 6 to 9 months from when everyone else has got it. #wildguess

K

kingrob

To give you an idea....Vodacom and MTN are still officially on Gingerbread 2.3.4, while the rest of the world is on ICS 4.0.3/4.

Maybe they don't want to give Android any help, as they're sitting with a lot of iPhone stock. ;)

Not sure why they are dragging their feet with this.

msm

Just download the official UK version.

If you wait for Samsung SA and the local operators, you'll be lucky to get the update before the end of the year.

D3x

Expert Member
The Samsung Centre in Vodaworld (Midrand) reckons in about 2 - 3 months when I called last week.

Budza

Executive Member
The Samsung Centre in Vodaworld (Midrand) reckons in about 2 - 3 months when I called last week.

From May or from March, when it was released?

Too long either way :(

JacquesR

If we use this, will it affect updates pushed via Vodacom?

Yes, it will affect them. Your phone won't be detected by local OTA or Kies updates as having "official" firmware. It's is of course official, but for a different country. However, you could simply keep updating using the procedure in that thread (Intratech keeps posting new versions as they come out), or you could flash the official Voda one once it's out (again using the same procedure), after which you'll again get the pushed updates from Vodacom.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
People should stop asking when any of SA's networks plan to release ICS for their phones! Our networks are stubborn and unhelpful when it comes to releasing any FW updates. They are too hell bent on making money than to keep existing clients happy by implementing FW. They do not care ... for those of you who does not understand my previous sentence - I will try and explain: THEY DO NOT CARE!!!!!!!!! Get it now?

/end of rant ...

Here is your solution guys/gals: You can follow either one of these options.

OPTION 1:
Quit asking or complaining and stick with Gingerbread till November 20th, 2012 .... OR

OPTION 2:
Flash a firmware of your choice (GB or ICS). The process is very easy with minimal risk to your phone. This means you have control over your phone and not the network operators. Visit the official Samsung Galaxy S2 thread. There are lots of info and a number of very helpfull people. Flashing another firmware is really easy - if you can follow a recipe to bake a cake, you can do it yourself.

selago

Besides not caring, which i feel is partly the case, I would think that they just don't have the skilled personnel and are not efficient enough. Anyone tried phoning their SP or phone manufacturers for tech support? Inefficient may be an understatement!

Jason_2177

I've just received notification of firmware upgrade to ICS.
I'm running stock 2.3.4 on Vodacom.

D0upie

I would like to know if your Wi-Fi was on when you received the update notification, and if that in fact has an affect on the update. My colleague received an update notification and downloaded the update but when I tried to update manually, I get a message that says no update available.

Desperately want to play with ICS.

badass

D0upie:8254539 said:

I would like to know if your Wi-Fi was on when you received the update notification, and if that in fact has an affect on the update. My colleague received an update notification and downloaded the update but when I tried to update manually, I get a message that says no update available.

Desperately want to play with ICS.

just did the update from Vodacom feels
different from 2.3.4

Splice

ICS launched today for the SGS2's on Vodacom! moerse update need wifi for it