Samsung Galaxy S20 Series

MandM

Got an S20 yesterday to replace my S9+. It feels a bit strange since the screen is the same size, but the form is smaller. Battery at 65% at the moment and I did not use it much today. The higher refresh rate compared to the S9+ is obvious. I was tempted to keep it on 120Hz, but for the sake of the battery switched back to 60Hz.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Ask your mate to watch this video of YouTube reviewer, JerryRigEverything .

"Samsung S20 Ultra 5G Teardown! - Is the 5G even real?"

Got me thinking, if your mate really has any 5 G hardware, ( 5G antenna etc.) in his Samsung S20 Ultra ?
Even though it claims to be 5G, on "outside /on device " etc.
Would be interesting to know ?

link to YouTube video

Good luck.
Will ask him to tear the phone down and have look.

I hardly doubt he will care. Where is 5G in SA?
Cellucity sold a few devices early March before anyone else. It was the same price as the LTE version they sell. I doubt he chose the 5G version, for 5G.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Got an S20 yesterday to replace my S9+. It feels a bit strange since the screen is the same size, but the form is smaller. Battery at 65% at the moment and I did not use it much today. The higher refresh rate compared to the S9+ is obvious. I was tempted to keep it on 120Hz, but for the sake of the battery switched back to 60Hz.
Got myself vanilla s20, 120hz silky smooth but have not compared it to 60hz for battery life. I am also using 60hz for now.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Samsung Galaxy S20 review

Screenshot_20200315_080152.jpgScreenshot_20200315_080218.jpg

corwill

Will ask him to tear the phone down and have look.

I hardly doubt he will care. Where is 5G in SA?
Cellucity sold a few devices early March before anyone else. It was the same price as the LTE version they sell. I doubt he chose the 5G version, for 5G.
Never said anything about opening device,!
however, there's some apps eg "Phone info + " app that does list " some" of the hardware on a device.
( example screen shot below.)

For me it's always good to know!
eg.
which is a better buy
eg S20 + or S20 Ultra with 5G,

Note.
For me this makes sense.
The Ultra with 5G, (which does cost more) but buying a device that will be capable fo future 5G use and does mabye have no 5G mm antenna etc, is it really worth it.?

Good luck.

Screenshot_20200315-091446.jpg

flashfire208

Has anyone had any luck redeeming the earphones ? Sent out the form over a week ago but didn't receive any reply

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I am at 86% with estimated 13h 4min left is that normal? expected a bit more. Vanilla s20.

MandM

I am at 86% with estimated 13h 4min left is that normal? expected a bit more. Vanilla s20.
I took my phone off the charger at 6:30 today. I'm at 39% with 4h38m left using the Optimised Power mode. Screen on time for today so far 3h37m.

Last edited:

ronz91

Expert Member
I would not go out of my way to get a Snapdragon, there may be some performance differences but I doubt they will translate to major differences in day-to-day usage hey.

I have not looked much into benchmarks but what I know is that the Exynos is the closest Android SoC to Apple A-series in Single Core performance, so the Exynos cannot be that bad.
I would get the SD version if possible

corwill

I watched this video yesterday .
i knew there was a diffs between Exynos and Snapdragon ,
but yes this video "shocked " me ,
to such a extend ,that I had decided ,
if Samsung does not improve on "it" ,i'm not getting the next Note device ,with a Exynos chipset .
Also , read a few days back ,that the Exynos 990 ,is only something like 67% efficient ??
( Unfortunately can't find article ,at the moment ,only remember i read it on Reddit forums )

Bottom line ,
the "diffs gap " between Snapdragon over Exynos is just to big .

Last edited:

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
I would get the SD version if possible
Scratch what I said, this year seems to have the biggest difference ever! What an absolute crap show by Samsung, usually in real life there is really little difference, but this time around it seems to be evident in a lot of areas, seriously concerning, Samsung are usually on point with this stuff, I remember when Qualcomm messed up with the Snapdragon S810, Samsung fitted all their phones globally with the amazing Exynos7420 which was better in efficiency and sustainable performance, now the tables have completely turned.

This was an absolute shocker indeed.

And now Gary from Gary Explains has done Speedtest G on a S20+ rocking Exynos990 vs Snapdragon 865 in S20 Ultra, both phones at 1440P, the gap is one of the biggest if not the biggest between phones of the same generation. Ultimately with the Exynos you are getting considerably less in performance and battery life, shocking!

There is now a petition for Samsung to stop using Exynos insane!

ronz91

Expert Member
wow what other downgrades have they given us?
well that escalated quickly

in general I like SD due to the greater compatibility in the mod community, that said I have an Exynos :'D

Last edited:

Romito

Expert Member
Got this update from Samsung regarding delivery of the Buds+.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Switched to 120hz now let's see if still last a day. I'm at 26% now no charging in between the day.

Romito

Expert Member
What's your battery usage difference when you use 60Hz over 120Hz?

bratwurst

Expert Member
Terrible lol think it like 30% more drain if it was not more, switch back the next day.
How can you switch back to 60 once you've experienced 120? What's the point of the S20 if you dont enable 120hz? Might aswell just opt in for a S10 or note 10 if you're not using 120hz