Samsung Galaxy S20 Series

Nimz

Executive Member
Quick one, I'm upgrading from my S10

Do the local models come with a cover in the box? If so, gel or hard case?

What's the screen on time you guys getting on the regular S20 at 60hz or 120hz

Thanks

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

Thanks
Think it was hard cover. Using uag now.

I use 60hz, but even that just get me through the day.

I'm at 61% right now at 14.48pm.

netstrider

Expert Member

Thanks
Comes with a cover, never had the S10, but the S9 and it's a similar type of cover.

netstrider

Expert Member
Didn't read the entire thread, hoping someone can help.

Is there something specific I should be doing to take close up pictures? A lot of my pics are of computer BIOS / RAID controller errors etc or of serial numbers in server rooms etc where a screenshot is not possible and close ups are needed. I can take a picture from further away and zoom in, but this was never an issue on the S9 where I could hold the phone an inch or 2 away from screen to take a picture.

EDIT: On S20+

Yarik11

Anyone using 96hz refresh rate?
I tried for a few days. Not as smooth as 120hz (obviously), but also a bit less of a hit on the battery. However, the hit on the battery is still significant. Its not in between 60hz and 120hz, the battery hit is closer to how the latter affects in.

Nimz

Executive Member
Just got my device today

Looking forward to that ATE6 update - for further improvements

Nimz

Executive Member
Getting around 2 hours SOT with 120hz which is quite pathetic (S20 regular)

Testing out 60hz now - Not what I wanted but I need better battery life.

Hopefully updates can sort this issue out

Yarik11

Getting around 2 hours SOT with 120hz which is quite pathetic (S20 regular)

Testing out 60hz now - Not what I wanted but I need better battery life.

Hopefully updates can sort this issue out
Hey bud.

I've had the S20+ for over two months now and have done a lot of testing in terms of battery.

A few tips, which you may find useful:

- The battery is great on WiFi but drains very quickly on 4G. In fact the phone gets hot if you make voice calls or especially video calls on 4G
- Battery on 120hz 1080p is 20-25% worse than 60hz 1440p. 60hz 1440p vs 1080p does not make a difference at all.
- Optimized mode gives much better battery life than performance mode. But there are quite a few people who say that on performance the thermal throttling is better and the phone takes longer to get hot and doesn't get as hot. I'm busy experimenting with this at the moment
- You should go into settings and put all apps, except you messenger and email apps, into deep sleep. Then put the messenger apps, email apps and whatever you want to get notifications from in the do not put into sleep category. Putting all those other apps into deep sleep helps with idle battery drain

Nimz

Executive Member
Hey bud.

I've had the S20+ for over two months now and have done a lot of testing in terms of battery.

A few tips, which you may find useful:

- The battery is great on WiFi but drains very quickly on 4G. In fact the phone gets hot if you make voice calls or especially video calls on 4G
- Battery on 120hz 1080p is 20-25% worse than 60hz 1440p. 60hz 1440p vs 1080p does not make a difference at all.
- Optimized mode gives much better battery life than performance mode. But there are quite a few people who say that on performance the thermal throttling is better and the phone takes longer to get hot and doesn't get as hot. I'm busy experimenting with this at the moment
- You should go into settings and put all apps, except you messenger and email apps, into deep sleep. Then put the messenger apps, email apps and whatever you want to get notifications from in the do not put into sleep category. Putting all those other apps into deep sleep helps with idle battery drain
Thanks for the response
- My phone is mostly connected to WiFi (home and work) the only time it is not is when travelling between the 2.
- Yeah previous devices were set to WQHD but I decided to use 1080p due to the 120hz refresh rate. I have now changed to 60hz to see how much of a difference it makes.
- I'm on optimized mode and always use it (never switch to high performance etc)
- Most of my apps are set to sleep or deep sleep and location is turned off with a Bixby routine used for apps that require location on a per app basis.

So as you can see, I've tried almost everything and still have poor battery life using 120hz.

Testing 60hz from today and will see how drastic of an improvement it is.

Curious to hear about other S20 owners battery life

Nimz

Executive Member
Just a note

Yes, I do know that 120hz uses more battery than your standard 60hz but, to only get 2 hours max of SOT is pathetic. Most reviews & tests show at least 3 to 3.5 on the Exynos version.

Yarik11

Just a note

Yes, I do know that 120hz uses more battery than your standard 60hz but, to only get 2 hours max of SOT is pathetic. Most reviews & tests show at least 3 to 3.5 on the Exynos version.
This is definitely too low.

I'm working from home at the moment, so pretty much always on WiFi. I get the following:

120hz 1080p: 4 hours SOT in a 24 hour period
60hz 1440p: 5,5-6 hours SOT in a 30-35 hour period

I have however also experimented with turning WiFi off for two days (accumulated a lot of data) to see what happens when I use the phone on 4G only:

120hz 1080p: 4 hours SOT in a 12 hour period. The phone did get quite hot a few times, just from browsing and going through emails, probably because of the external modem
60hz 1440p: 5 hours SOT in a 14 hours period. The phone only got hot when I was outside, screen was on full brightness and I made a video call. Probably same reason as above.

So I agree that you should be getting at least 3-3,5 hours SOT on 120hz on the S20.

Yarik11

ATE6 update out on Vodacom.

Fixed camera and overheating issues for many people on Reddit and XDA forums

Nimz

Executive Member
ATE6 update out on Vodacom.

Fixed camera and overheating issues for many people on Reddit and XDA forums
Thanks, just got it on Telkom as well.

Hoping to see improvements.