Samsung Galaxy S20 Series

Yarik11

Thanks, just got it on Telkom as well.

Hoping to see improvements.
How's your battery life been? I don't mean since the update. But often after you set up a new phone and it learns your usage patterns it gets better after a week or so.

Nimz

Executive Member
How's your battery life been? I don't mean since the update. But often after you set up a new phone and it learns your usage patterns it gets better after a week or so.
Yeah, it's by far the worst Galaxy S in terms of battery life that I've owned (and I had all, from the S2 onwards)
I heard that setting up via Smartswitch might be the cause of poor battery life - I'm in no mood to do it all manually just yet

Yarik11

Yeah, it's by far the worst Galaxy S in terms of battery life that I've owned (and I had all, from the S2 onwards)
I heard that setting up via Smartswitch might be the cause of poor battery life - I'm in no mood to do it all manually just yet
I've set up my Note 10 with smart switch and then when Android 10 came a few months later out did a clean install. Didn't notice a difference in battery at all.

With the S20+ just did a smart switch set up and then wiped cache partition in boot mode.

Have you tried only using 60hz?

Yarik11

Yeah, get about 30min more so not really worth the trade off
Something's wrong then, bud. You should get 20-25% more with 60hz. That's certainly my experience and pretty much what all the reviews say.

Maybe just bite the bullet and do a factory reset. You can still back up your messages, contacts, calendar entries, etc.

But I wouldn't advise restoring your apps and home screen - rather download and set up from new.

Lennard

Hey guys

I am new to this forum.
I need advice from the S20 owners here, I am currently using a S9+, very happy no issues. But I am due for an upgrade this month. My first thought was getting the S20+.
But I am reading too many negative comments regarding the battery life and heating issues and the camera not focusing on items close to the camera. Vodacom has the exynos version ( as far as I can tell), and according to what I have read this version is the one with all the issues?
Is this true, have these issues been fixed with software updates?
I was wondering if I should rather skip the S20 and maybe just get the S10+, as it's cheaper and doesn't seem to have so many issues?
Thanks

Yarik11

Hey guys

I am new to this forum.
I need advice from the S20 owners here, I am currently using a S9+, very happy no issues. But I am due for an upgrade this month. My first thought was getting the S20+.
But I am reading too many negative comments regarding the battery life and heating issues and the camera not focusing on items close to the camera. Vodacom has the exynos version ( as far as I can tell), and according to what I have read this version is the one with all the issues?
Is this true, have these issues been fixed with software updates?
I was wondering if I should rather skip the S20 and maybe just get the S10+, as it's cheaper and doesn't seem to have so many issues?
Thanks
I've had the S20+ for over two months now and am generally happy with it. It is a big phone, but the 20:9 aspect ratio and light weight make it ergonomic. I can type messages one-handed, for instance. Something that I couldn't do on an iPhone XS Max or Note 10+, which are just a bit wider. Screen is great is also less curved that previous models, which I prefer (wish it was completely flat though).

I posted by battery stats earlier - just check the previous page of this thread.

The only time I've experienced overheating was on 4G/LTE. Most likely because the phone uses an external mode, so the processor has to power the System of Chip AND the modem. For instance the phone got hot when I was outside, using LTE and making a video call on Whats App for about 15 minutes. But it also cooled down quickly. I did also experiment with recording 8K video (also outside and while on LTE) and it got hot after about 5 minutes. In both instances I'm sure that being outside, in the sun and having screen on full brightness contributed to the issue. But the phone also cooled down quickly both times.

In terms of the camera and autofocus, I don't take a lot of pictures, but with close up objects I find that I use it the same way I've used the S8 and the Note 10. When there is an object up close, I tap on it and the camera focuses on it. So that's how I've always used the Samsung camera app and that hasn't changed.

Yarik11

So how's everyone's S20s after the ATE6 update? I haven't had any more overheating since it came out. It wasn't exactly a major problem before but now seems to be eliminated completely. I do notice throttling in games and a few times the camera became a bit sluggish after heavy use. So they probably throttle the processor to prevent overheating. This is on Optimised power mode.

digitalis

So how's everyone's S20s after the ATE6 update? I haven't had any more overheating since it came out. It wasn't exactly a major problem before but now seems to be eliminated completely. I do notice throttling in games and a few times the camera became a bit sluggish after heavy use. So they probably throttle the processor to prevent overheating. This is on Optimised power mode.
Had my S20+ since just before lock-down. I get almost 2 full days of battery and my screen is on 120hz. Never had any overheating issues but I don't play games. Updated to ATE6 - just as good as before. No complaints with this phone.

Yarik11

Had my S20+ since just before lock-down. I get almost 2 full days of battery and my screen is on 120hz. Never had any overheating issues but I don't play games. Updated to ATE6 - just as good as before. No complaints with this phone.
That's great to hear, bud.

I use 60hz and QHD. 120hz is great but I just go with the longer battery life and slightly sharper text.

Apart from games I've previously had overheating on What's App video calls (but only on 4G) and camera. But only under specific conditions - outside, in the sun, screen on full brightness, no WiFi.

Keegan

Expert Member
Thanks for the response
- My phone is mostly connected to WiFi (home and work) the only time it is not is when travelling between the 2.
- Yeah previous devices were set to WQHD but I decided to use 1080p due to the 120hz refresh rate. I have now changed to 60hz to see how much of a difference it makes.
- I'm on optimized mode and always use it (never switch to high performance etc)
- Most of my apps are set to sleep or deep sleep and location is turned off with a Bixby routine used for apps that require location on a per app basis.

So as you can see, I've tried almost everything and still have poor battery life using 120hz.

Testing 60hz from today and will see how drastic of an improvement it is.

Curious to hear about other S20 owners battery life
Also not happy with my S20 battery life, Have it for 6 weeks now. I felt the S9 was better.
Settings:
Power Mode: Optimized
Display: 120Hz / 1080p
Location permanently off.

All apps on deep sleep except WhatsApp, and Messenger.

WiFi at work and home.
I don't use 4G, set on 3G/2G

I get between 3 and 4 hours Screen time...

I thought because my phone is still "new" I assumed the battery needs to find a routine...
But nope, it is not ask good as I thought it should be.

Let us know how it goes with 60Hz :thumbsup:

Yarik11

Also not happy with my S20 battery life, Have it for 6 weeks now. I felt the S9 was better.
Settings:
Power Mode: Optimized
Display: 120Hz / 1080p
Location permanently off.

All apps on deep sleep except WhatsApp, and Messenger.

WiFi at work and home.
I don't use 4G, set on 3G/2G

I get between 3 and 4 hours Screen time...

I thought because my phone is still "new" I assumed the battery needs to find a routine...
But nope, it is not ask good as I thought it should be.

Let us know how it goes with 60Hz :thumbsup:
Honestly, I think that 3-4 hours on an S20 with 120hz is what you should expect.

I have the Plus with a 4500mah battery. But if I turn on 120hz it acts like my previous phone with a 3500mah battery. And I also get up to 4 hours screen on time.

With 60hz you can get 20-25% better battery life.

Keegan

Expert Member
Honestly, I think that 3-4 hours on an S20 with 120hz is what you should expect.

I have the Plus with a 4500mah battery. But if I turn on 120hz it acts like my previous phone with a 3500mah battery. And I also get up to 4 hours screen on time.

With 60hz you can get 20-25% better battery life.
Geez, that sucks man... refresh rate uses up that much more battery...?
Thank you for the feedback, Guess I need to weight up which I should sacrifice, battery or 120Hz lol :X3:

I'll run an experiment and check if it works out to more screen on time with 60Hz.

Yarik11

Geez, that sucks man... refresh rate uses up that much more battery...?
Thank you for the feedback, Guess I need to weight up which I should sacrifice, battery or 120Hz lol :X3:

I'll run an experiment and check if it works out to more screen on time with 60Hz.

No worries, bud.

Yeah, all the reviews said 20-25% more battery on 120hz. And I also tested myself and can confirm this.

So while changing between menus and scrolling on 120hz is super smooth, ultimately I decided not to give up both battery life and QHD resolution for it.

I do hope that eventually Samsung will bring out an update which will change between refresh rates, depending on what you are doing, which will somewhat compensate for the higher battery usage.

Keegan

Expert Member
I don't have an S20 series however was considering it a month ago and started doing some research on it, I came across this when looking for user reviews on battery life.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Galaxy_S20/comments/fptndz
Feedback on Bixby Routines Battery Savings is quite positive, really hope it helps you guys.
Tried this, didn't work out too well for me.
The screen started too jitter...

Yarik11

Anyone received the June or July update yet?
I actually checked this morning. Nothing on Vodacom.

Many on Reddit report better idle drain and more SOT after the July update.

Mine is fine on WiFi, although on LTE idle drain can be massive.

How's you battery life been after a few weeks of use?