Samsung Galaxy S21

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
I bought a cheap cover from Vodacom to use in the meantime as I didn't want to chance dropping this thing. I also bought a tempered glass but the fingerprint sensor did not work. Returned it for one of the film type protectors.
So you took off the pre-installed screen protector off already? I can barely see it, if someone didn't mention that it comes pre-installed I would never have known.

123Eish

So you took off the pre-installed screen protector off already? I can barely see it, if someone didn't mention that it comes pre-installed I would never have known.
Yes as I initially put a glass screen protector on. I had the glass protector installed and then saw the fingerprint sensor is not working and I was like nope. Not gonna take this. So at this point in time I had nothing on the screen.

I would recommend sticking to Samsung's preinstalled protector for as long as possible.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
I bought a cheap cover from Vodacom to use in the meantime as I didn't want to chance dropping this thing. I also bought a tempered glass but the fingerprint sensor did not work. Returned it for one of the film type protectors.
Same here. Got the see-through one from a Chatz, while waiting for Samsung to deliver. Luckily that was only a couple of days

WorldWarIII

Expert Member
How is the base s21? coming from s9

I had S9 and got base S21.

Pretty much same thing. Faster obviously but about as convenient when it comes to unlocking and so on. Irritating thing for me is that S9 unlocked with eyes. S21 uses facial recognition, So when mask on phone dont fffken unlock.

But so far happy. Doing all I need it to do.

Duke of Hazard

Quite a jump,

Bixby routines are a thing now, the screen protector is stronger than my old S9s actual screen, 120Hz is really nice, haven't really used my phone so I dont know how bad the battery drain is with it in, the Flat edges are nicer than the curved ones, Fingerprint reader works alot better than my S20s but takes getting used to from being at the back, earpiece is right at the top but again seems an improvement from the S20, Directors mode is really handy if you're taking photos of something cool with a warning and I'm not 100% sure if the S9 still had the motion photo where it takes a photo and a small video, so you can pick from the video a better photo.

123Eish

Like the others I went from a Base S9 to Base S21.

I only upgraded because my S9 broke. If my S9 was still functioning, I would still be using it.

This phone has a much better screen and camera. The phone is obviously a lot faster. The borderless display which is flat is really nice and different as well. My S9 had a battery problem, whereby it was draining quickly so I have no frame of reference for battery life. I use my phone for a full day, when I sleep it's at 30%.

However I feel like it is not worth the price difference coming from an S9. I paid 17.5k to go from an S9 to S21 and for me. The upgrade between the device is not worth it. This will vary from person to person.

Bass

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy an el cheapo from Takealot for the meanwhile, at least that way the universe will get its penalty goal into my nuts and send my Samsung Voucher the same or next day.
I ended up doing the same lol. Bought a cover on Takealot as I'm still waiting for the Samsung voucher too

werny

Expert Member
Yes as I initially put a glass screen protector on. I had the glass protector installed and then saw the fingerprint sensor is not working and I was like nope. Not gonna take this. So at this point in time I had nothing on the screen.

I would recommend sticking to Samsung's preinstalled protector for as long as possible.
LOL, had the same exact issue with the tempered glass protector, luckily I was at the Samsung Store (only place that had stock) and one of the staff members applied the protector, I immediately tested the fingerprint scanner and it did nothing, even after waiting for 10mins, I also couldn't load a new fingerprint, at this point I told him to remove the thing as I'm not paying R400 for this k@k, I then took the silicone cover which is barely visible and looks great.

Unfortunately if my phone drops the screen will definitely be cracked, for that reason I took the R499 offer for the screen replacement.

werny

Expert Member
Nice, I see my buds & tag is out on delivery today. Hopefully the driver doesn't get hijacked. :p

sam1.PNG

123Eish

LOL, had the same exact issue with the tempered glass protector, luckily I was at the Samsung Store (only place that had stock) and one of the staff members applied the protector, I immediately tested the fingerprint scanner and it did nothing, even after waiting for 10mins, I also couldn't load a new fingerprint, at this point I told him to remove the thing as I'm not paying R400 for this k@k, I then took the silicone cover which is barely visible and looks great.

Unfortunately if my phone drops the screen will definitely be cracked, for that reason I took the R499 offer for the screen replacement.
Same situation, only at a Vodacom store. They actually told me to check the fingerprint sensor. Otherwise I would have went home and been a very upset person.

Duke of Hazard

Don't get the whole move to Glass screen protectors, they don't last.

A mild drop and the glass in gone, the old days of those thick hard plastic ones were great, they were cheap and when it started to peel or got too scratched you peeled it off and fitted another one for R50

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Is SA getting a phone with a decent processor this time? I know there were two different ones last time and we got the crappy one.

I see there are two again:

Exynos 2100 (5 nm) - International
Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm) - USA/China

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Don't get the whole move to Glass screen protectors, they don't last.

A mild drop and the glass in gone, the old days of those thick hard plastic ones were great, they were cheap and when it started to peel or got too scratched you peeled it off and fitted another one for R50
Yeah, agreed ... I didn't even have a protector on my Note 9 - I saw with the apple devices, when you drop it with gorilla glass, the screen actually breaks easier

werny

Expert Member
Finally received the Buds and Tag, took 10 working days. Happiness! :giggle:

No R1000 voucher yet, doubt I'll receive it as MTN says that they know nothing about the voucher...

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Finally received the Buds and Tag, took 10 working days. Happiness! :giggle:

No R1000 voucher yet, doubt I'll receive it as MTN says that they know nothing about the voucher...
The voucher comes directly from Samsung, if you indicated intent/interest in the pre-order sometime in January

nivek

Executive Member
Is SA getting a phone with a decent processor this time? I know there were two different ones last time and we got the crappy one.

I see there are two again:

Exynos 2100 (5 nm) - International
Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm) - USA/China
We got the Exynos sadly