Samsung Galaxy S21

Duke of Hazard

How's everyone's experience with their S21?

Very happy with every part of mine, finger print reader l is a great improvement, battery life in phenomenonal, speaker is loud and clear.

Only complaint is the camera App is a bit slow to open and taking a photo is a bit slow. Otherwise the phone is the best yet

marhsava

Very happy with every part of mine, finger print reader l is a great improvement, battery life in phenomenonal, speaker is loud and clear.

Only complaint is the camera App is a bit slow to open and taking a photo is a bit slow. Otherwise the phone is the best yet
Camera is good but I won't say amazing, could be better ,I don't know thou , this is the Ultra.

Camera app opens quick for me.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

Hopefully you get day out for s21, the s20 pretty weak struggle to get a day out of it :( Think I will wait for s22, or import something else .

Duke of Hazard

Hopefully you get day out for s21, the s20 pretty weak struggle to get a day out of it :( Think I will wait for s22, or import something else .
S20 was a flop, used to get hot enough to burn your hand and make the phone unpleasant to hold.

Played with my phone alot today and even more when I got home, I'm still sitting with 60% battery now, pretty happy with that.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
S20 was a flop, used to get hot enough to burn your hand and make the phone unpleasant to hold.

Played with my phone alot today and even more when I got home, I'm still sitting with 60% battery now, pretty happy with that.
Yeah that's pretty good! I can't even dare to use 120hz on my s20, just won't even get a half a day

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master

Do you charge it first thing in morning? I usually charge to 100% before bedtime, then again late morning in case I need to go out but invariably due to WFH I don't leave the house. So I tend to charge twice a day because I'm afraid of running low when I'm out...

I'm not finding the fingerprint reader so great, I never press hard enough on it I think. Other than this, I'm pretty happy with the phone, but for the price I'd expect nothing less!

Size wise the base S21 is perfect, so am glad I didn't go for the plus.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Camera is good but I won't say amazing, could be better ,I don't know thou , this is the Ultra.

Camera app opens quick for me.
Is your Ultra overheating when taking 120Hz video? Mine overheats around 2 minutes

FiestaST

Honorary Master
OnePlus 9 Pro vs Samsung S21 Ultra Camera Test Comparison - Mrwhosetheboss

Grubscrew

Expert Member
Jeez, taking a S21 Ultra on a 24month contract comes up with crazy pricing. Is it that much beter than a S21? I am coming from a Huawai P30 Pro and I loved it.

Nimz

Executive Member
Is it worth moving from the crappy S20 to the S21 Plus

Can get it at quite a good price - main issue with the regular S20 is the battery life / overheating & laggy camera

I like the compact form factor of the regular S21 but concerned about battery life

Anyone here made the switch from S20 to S21, I'd like to know your thoughts

Duke of Hazard

Is it worth moving from the crappy S20 to the S21 Plus

Can get it at quite a good price - main issue with the regular S20 is the battery life / overheating & laggy camera

I like the compact form factor of the regular S21 but concerned about battery life

Anyone here made the switch from S20 to S21, I'd like to know your thoughts

I went from S20 to S21, biggest difference to me is the battery life and heat the phone generates.

The rest is a trivial upgrade really.

Duke of Hazard

Do you charge it first thing in morning? I usually charge to 100% before bedtime, then again late morning in case I need to go out but invariably due to WFH I don't leave the house. So I tend to charge twice a day because I'm afraid of running low when I'm out...

I'm not finding the fingerprint reader so great, I never press hard enough on it I think. Other than this, I'm pretty happy with the phone, but for the price I'd expect nothing less!

Size wise the base S21 is perfect, so am glad I didn't go for the plus.
I charge at night and unplug for the day, usually coming home with around 50 to 60% battery with the smart view cover on, I don't recall what battery life I was getting using AOD without the cover.

Today I've hardly touched my phone and I'm on 86% since 05h30 this morning, with a brief 10min charge in the car on the way home. With my S20, I'd be at 80% before 8am and wouldn't dare to use it for some facebook browsing without being plugged in

Rocco1

Expert Member
Question:
  • Did you guys buy a new charger?
I have a S8 15W USB-A charger, with a corner shop/aftermarket A-C cable (in use with my S8).
Just got the S21 today, see the cable is USB C-C.

• Is there an issue with using aftermarket/old chargers and cables?
  • Or should I use USB C-C in box and get a new USBC charger?
  • Also as an aside, any recommended brands of inexpensive clear covers?
  • Screen cover - Yeah or Nay? - or rather trust in Samsung Care? and free screen repairs.

Thanks

Duke of Hazard

Question:
  • Did you guys buy a new charger?
I have a S8 15W USB-A charger, with a corner shop/aftermarket A-C cable (in use with my S8).
Just got the S21 today, see the cable is USB C-C.

• Is there an issue with using aftermarket/old chargers and cables?
  • Or should I use USB C-C in box and get a new USBC charger?
  • Also as an aside, any recommended brands of inexpensive clear covers?
  • Screen cover - Yeah or Nay? - or rather trust in Samsung Care? and free screen repairs.

Thanks
I'm using one of my very old Samsung Fast chargers that I Think I got with my S7 or something and it chargers as fast as the 25W SUPER FAST charger in my opinion. I'd look for another one if I ever replaced it.

Wouldn't stress too much about the screen cover, I Dropped my phone face down with a cheap rubber casing and apart from a ding in the screen protector it's 100%, so either I Was lucky or the screen has improved slightly.

Samsung Care+ doesn't offer free screen repairs, you need to pay I think R500 or so depending on what S21 you have per claim to a max of 1 a year or 2 in total, something like that... Best to read the t's & c's on that. Probably best to avoid a broken screen due to the hassle that is taking it in and being without your phone.

Rocco1

Expert Member
thanks for the reply.
Sorry for not clarifying re - the best clear Phone body cover? One in shop/ vs takelot, which brand etc
And best screen protector?

Does your screen protector allow use of fingerprint? (only seen very expensive R500 ones say they do)

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
thanks for the reply.
Sorry for not clarifying re - the best clear Phone body cover? One in shop/ vs takelot, which brand etc
And best screen protector?

Does your screen protector allow use of fingerprint? (only seen very expensive R500 ones say they do)
Try leave the default screen protector on as long as possible? It might just last 2 years or longer. edit: I can't comment on how good it is for fingerprint reading, my fingerprints are always difficult to read, though that said the Huawei Mate 20 Lite fingerprint reader (on the rear) was much better that the S21, facial recognition was better on the Mate 20 Lite as well, oh and screen sensitivity but then maybe the factory fitted S21 screen protector is not the greatest after all, i don't know, maybe someone else can comment.

I had this charger lying around, got it for R99 on sale last year early December. 18W charger, so it's 72% as fast as the 25W charger.

Oh and it's R999 for a screen repair under Samsung Care+

Nimz

Executive Member
Joined the S21 family this week (S21 Plus) - bummed about missing out on the freebies

Coming from the regular S20 it's been a good improvement thus far in terms of battery life
Finish the day with around 40% remaining - with the S20 my battery would be on 15% by 1pm
Let's see how long this lasts

This is also not a toaster like the S20 - That POS used to heat up like crazy and the camera lag was pathetic for a flagship device

Hopefully this device can maintain it's first impression on me

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Joined the S21 family this week (S21 Plus) - bummed about missing out on the freebies

Coming from the regular S20 it's been a good improvement thus far in terms of battery life
Finish the day with around 40% remaining - with the S20 my battery would be on 15% by 1pm
Let's see how long this lasts

This is also not a toaster like the S20 - That POS used to heat up like crazy and the camera lag was pathetic for a flagship device

Hopefully this device can maintain it's first impression on me
Sounds like decent improvement over s20, still using my s20. Thinking of importing a s21 with snapdragon.