Samsung Galaxy S3 review (MyBroadband)

F

Fudzy

The bundled headphones were good, but ours sounded a little hollow and the left earphone sat a bit loose and had a tendency to fall out when we moved around.
Are you referring to the in-ear headphones? If they were falling out then why not move to a bigger plug size (provided).

mercurial

MyBB Legend
In our benchmarking tests, the S3 did very well, but failed to topple the HTC One X as the reigning champion. In our AnTuTu tests, it scored an average of 8864.2, well above the Xperia S’s 6496.8, but well below the HTC One X’s 10,607.6.
You do realise that the HTC One X is a quad-core 1.5Ghz, while the S3 is a quad-core 1.4Ghz, right?

eltherza

Expert Member
Why does the Galaxy S3 have a lower camera rating than the HTC one X? S3 has a better front facing camera.

Or is this a by-product of having different reviewers?

R13...

Honorary Master
Do car manufacturers integrate for Android? With my contract coming up for renewal this is something I must consider in the phone I get next.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Why does the Galaxy S3 have a lower camera rating than the HTC one X? S3 has a better front facing camera.

Better hardware? (Other than megapixel rating, which is becoming more meaningless)
Better software? Hardware isn't the only factor

Last edited:

Valerion

Expert Member
You do realise that the HTC One X is a quad-core 1.5Ghz, while the S3 is a quad-core 1.4Ghz, right?
But a different manufacturer, and a different series. They can't be compared purely on clock speed alone.

Here are three other reviews that places the S3 above the One X in terms of performance. Not too sure why the author got a lower score on AnTuTu. Random links from Google, though I tried to weed out obvious duplicates.

Only two of the reviews use AnTuTu - perhaps a wider variety of benchmarks may give a different picture?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_vs_htc_one_x-review-759p4.php

http://techdweller.com/2012/05/android-samsung-galaxy-s3-benchmarks-faster-htc/

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-review-50006020/

TJ99

Honorary Master
so is this better than the one x..thats the answer i want
It depends what you want. The One X has a better display and it's apparently sturdier built. However, it's uglier (The GS3 isn't a design masterpiece either but at least it looks better). Most reviews (apart from this one) say the Galaxy is faster. The One X's interface (Sense) seems better than the Galaxy's, although the Galaxy has cool features in the software like smart stay.

For me, the One X fails by not having a removable battery (minor issue), or SD card slot (HUGE issue since you never get the acutal storage space claimed by manufacturers). So with the htc you're stuck with 32(actually 27GB) of space, where the Samsung can have however much is available of the 32GB, PLUS another 64GB with a card..

BANG_Mutha

I'll stick with my S2 thanks...nothing special about the S3 besides extra pixels and a quad core...both of these will not really be properly utilised by app developers anyway...

...mmm, that's just me justifying my jealousy :wtf:

techead

Honorary Master
ok I know Im gonna be labelled at critical here, but seriously :wtf:

The Galaxy S3 has a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED screen with a resolution of 1280×720. Putting aside the arguments for and against the Pentile display for the moment, it is a great screen
how can you make a comment like that, and then not come BACK to the whole issue? You have given this phone a 9/10 for screen which crazy. Im not saying its a BAD screen... but you got the rest of google dubbing the pentile matrix screen as the S3's Achilles Heel.

:confused:

edit: unless mybb gave the HTC One X a 10/10 for screen? Which I dont think it did. Coz yes, its that much better than the S3's screen.

Last edited:

S1ght

Expert Member
I'll stick with my S2 thanks...nothing special about the S3 besides extra pixels and a quad core...both of these will not really be properly utilised by app developers anyway...

I came from an S2 and the extra pixels and design changes feel awesome. Feels like a much more solid build :) but given that I came from an S2 where the battery died every couple of hours, the wifi didn't work and the flash didn't work...Basically Galaxy S2 + drunk people = broken S2.

eshwar

Definitely not worth moving for you :)! Although you will notice the denser screen :)! But your phone is more durable than an iPhone whereas the S3 isn't!

It depends what you want. The One X has a better display and it's apparently sturdier built. However, it's uglier (The GS3 isn't a design masterpiece either but at least it looks better). Most reviews (apart from this one) say the Galaxy is faster. The One X's interface (Sense) seems better than the Galaxy's, although the Galaxy has cool features in the software like smart stay.

For me, the One X fails by not having a removable battery (minor issue), or SD card slot (HUGE issue since you never get the acutal storage space claimed by manufacturers). So with the htc you're stuck with 32(actually 27GB) of space, where the Samsung can have however much is available of the 32GB, PLUS another 64GB with a card..
I disagree on the looks. the S3 looks nothing bad but its like a big soap bar whereas the One X has a little more character. And gloss looks out of place unless its super well done on something high end :)! Most reviewers you'd find prefer the One X's looks. But anyway looks are subjective.

so is this better than the one x..thats the answer i want
It is. A more accurate answer would be better executed. Especially since there is a price difference involved. But out of the box you might not notice a very big difference in the two.

Somewhat, and perhaps the ImageSense processor is coming into play here.

Overall, the S3 is a better phone I think. But there's also the issue of HTC support in SA which is spotty I think. There are a number of manufacturing defects that have been picked up for the HTC and in the event of repairs I think you'll have a hard time! That said, is the S3 worth R 50pm more than the One X - NO. Maybe R 25-30.

Display wise, I'd say the AMOLED beats the SLCD which comes super close! But you should notice better battery life in the S3 and that's actually what you'll see day to day more than any other feature of the phone. Coupled with removable stuff it should help a lot!

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I'm not sure how people can think that the Super Amoled of the S3 is inferior to the any other phone's screen :confused: It's the best damn thing out there.

techead

Honorary Master
Can I suggest this doesnt turn into a fanboi argument about S3 vs HTC One X, but rather that this rating system is up the pole...

pjjdp

Expert Member
All the hype about the screen etc, might make me think twice. I had a S3 in my hand yesterday at Vodacom 4U and liked it except I want it in blue.

If the negative feedback continues about the screen, I might just stick to an S2, which in itself is a huge upgrade from my trusty old 5800.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
80% for what is currently the best phone on the market is a joke.