Samsung Galaxy S3 review (MyBroadband)

mercurial

MyBB Legend
From gsmarena

The 4.8" Super AMOLED of HD resolution is where the Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III magic happens. The image quality is every bit as impressive as the specs suggest - tack sharp and with perfectly deep blacks, it's probably the best you can find on the market.

The colors are nicely saturated by default, but the display settings menu offers a choice between four different modes, so you can opt for more natural colors as well. We did prefer the livelier dynamic and standard modes, but the natural and movie modes will probably have their fans too. What's important here is that the S III display offers a level of flexibility that no other screen on the market can provide.

Sunlight legibility is splendid too - the HD Super AMOLED isn't the brightest around, but its reflectivity is so low that even outside in the brightest day, you'll still be able to see what's on the screen quite clearly. As a matter of fact, the Galaxy S III managed to top our sunlight legibility charts.

The viewing angles are extremely wide too - there's some color loss when you reach the extremes, but the icons and text remain almost perfectly clear, giving that printed look that we love so much.

In case you were worried about the PenTile matrix that the Galaxy S III employs - well, don't be. You'd need to be looking from such close range that your eyes will hurt before you notice any difference. It's plain to see that the HD PenTile screen of the S III is sharper than the RGB WVGA unit on the Galaxy S II, despite the increased screen size. It's just that at these ppi levels the differences are extremely hard to spot, so PenTile is nothing to be worried about.

And here's how the Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III did in our dedicated display test. You can learn more about the testing process over here.

techead

Honorary Master
if you gonna stand outside all day in the sun using your phone, or you prefer to use your phone at accute viewing angles... go right ahead and get the S3, great drvice.

If you in the office, and look at the screen like any other normal person, then the HTC One X is better.

The S3 screen is GRAINY compared to the HTC. Im not gonna make this ***** up, had them in front of me again yesterday (well HTC yesterday and S3 friday)

techead

Honorary Master
yes I know dude, maybe the oke is a bit blind I dont know. Again, not saying that the S3 screen is bad, but the HTC is dead sharp compared to the S3

I own an iPhone 4. I can spot a lower quality screen a mile away. Each to their own though... :)

TJ99

Honorary Master
All the hype about the screen etc, might make me think twice. I had a S3 in my hand yesterday at Vodacom 4U and liked it except I want it in blue.

If the negative feedback continues about the screen, I might just stick to an S2, which in itself is a huge upgrade from my trusty old 5800.
You're overreacting a bit. The screen is great, it's just not the absolute best. The S2, on the other hand had an utterly shyte screen, and that didn't stop anyone buying them. The S2's resolution was 800X480, lower than my old Xperia X10 that came out before the original Galaxy S (I9000), and on par with the original htc Desire, both of those phones came out more than a year earlier and were significantly smaller. If you like the S2's pixelated screen, the S3 will blow you away.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
yes I know dude, maybe the oke is a bit blind I dont know. Again, not saying that the S3 screen is bad, but the HTC is dead sharp compared to the S3

I own an iPhone 4. I can spot a lower quality screen a mile away. Each to their own though... :)
I'm not saying you're blind or anything, but every review I've had has said the same thing - the S3's screen is amazing.

pjjdp

Expert Member
You're overreacting a bit. The screen is great, it's just not the absolute best. The S2, on the other hand had an utterly shyte screen, and that didn't stop anyone buying them. The S2's resolution was 800X480, lower than my old Xperia X10 that came out before the original Galaxy S (I9000), and on par with the original htc Desire, both of those phones came out more than a year earlier and were significantly smaller. If you like the S2's pixelated screen, the S3 will blow you away.
Make no mistake, I do like it. When the blue is available, I will probably walk out the shop with it, if they have stock at that moment.

Guantanamo

Expert Member
My unlce has one and I played around on it over the weekend. I know I will get flamed for this but I really and honestly felt the entire phone was too big, it simply wasn't comfortable to hold and the screen felt ungainly to use. Other than that it seems great, and while I am used to the simplicity of iOS some of the features of Android are quiet appealing.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
My unlce has one and I played around on it over the weekend. I know I will get flamed for this but I really and honestly felt the entire phone was too big, it simply wasn't comfortable to hold and the screen felt ungainly to use. Other than that it seems great, and while I am used to the simplicity of iOS some of the features of Android are quiet appealing.
How dare you? :mad:

/flame flame flame

:D

Masataka

The S3 is quite a good phone, but the HTC beats it with a better quality screen (crisper image), better UI (HTC Sense UI) and better build quality (isn't made of marshmallows and bits of cardboard); three major factors for this sort of smartphone.

You'll be happy with either though.

Nether

Expert Member
The thread reminds me of this final piece on the gsmarena review.

What we are trying to say is, there's no better smartphone here - just one that's more suited to your needs and taste. There's always an element of compromise - be it size against screen estate, power against battery life or looks against durability. What monster smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S III and the HTC One X try to do is rule out compromises. That's why manufacturers don't cut any corners making them.
and

Anyway, back to where we started. Two superphones, one Android crown. The HTC One X managed to come to the market first, while the Galaxy S III is a little late, but has plenty to show for it. We're tempted to play it safe and split it equal. The HTC One X: this is what a droid flagship should look like. The Samsung Galaxy S III: that's what a droid flagship should perform like. But that won't be fair to either of them. They didn't get where they are by playing it safe.
It seems obvious that the Samsung Galaxy S III wouldn't have raised as the new standard-setter without a powerful challenger like the One X. There's no consolation prize here, no second-best. A fair fight and a win-win for Android.

Last edited:

eshwar

I am almost tempted to get a One X now and then get the (likely Samsung or Asus made) Nexus phone early next year when it gets here :D!

Gathu

Can I suggest this doesnt turn into a fanboi argument about S3 vs HTC One X, but rather that this rating system is up the pole...
Agree 100%. It's got a lower camera score than the HTC and Apple 4s, but it's new camera beat the pants of these two (look at gsmarena.com for OBJECTIVE reviews and comparisons) IF MyBB want to do reviews, do it right, do it objectively with measurable comparisons... or don't bother doing it)

Link for HTC /S3/ S4 comparison - http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=2&idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4320&idPhone3=4212

Shocking how much HTC's camera still suck, main reason I stopped using them.

AniV

Expert Member
I held both in my hands a few days ago. I can't say much for software and all that other stuff, but from a purely look&feel perspective I prefer the HTC One X. I just adore the thing's design and the screen. The way it curves and seems to go on forever. The richer colours.. the feel of the device.

In the grand scheme of things, the benchmark results mean nothing. Both phones are powerhouses with super processors and are fast and slick. Does the fact that different people got different values really matter that much? They're both amazing devices.

In the end you're going to buy the one that appeals to you the most. At least these reviews are quite thorough (given that we expect them to know every little thing about each device when they have it for a very short, limited time).

If you don't want an opinion on the different aspects of the phone, then don't read reviews - read a spec sheet instead.