Samsung Galaxy S5 confirmed for South Africa

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
This is kinda stating the obvious. What I would rather want to know is exactly when it will be released here

RaptorSA

Executive Member
So now that we've finally reached the point where the specs on Android phones are reaching levels that simply don't make sense anymore, I'd much rather want to know what Microsoft is planning for Windows Phone, or the Windows OS in general.

All I really want is a fully fledged Windows 8 Pro device with -obviously- support for dialing etc. And enough ports and connection options to make a grown man tear up. Yes, Ubuntu Phone OS is almost there but I have no interest in running Ubuntu as a desktop system.

We're pretty much there. Intel Baytrail devices like the Asus T100 in phone form factor would be perfect.
Apart from another 1GB of RAM I don't see the point of upgrading from my S3 yet, the need for that much speed etc. just doesn't make sense on a purely hand held form factor anymore....

Last edited:

Paul_S

Executive Member
So now that we've finally reached the point where the specs on Android phones are reaching levels that simply don't make sense anymore,

+1
I'm still using a Note 2 and it's more than quick enough and the battery life is great (nearly 2 days per charge).
When my contract is up for renewal I'm not going to upgrade my handset. I'd rather pocket the R300.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
+1
I'm still using a Note 2 and it's more than quick enough and the battery life is great (nearly 2 days per charge).
When my contract is up for renewal I'm not going to upgrade my handset. I'd rather pocket the R300.

Sounds about right to me.
Was looking at buying a Note 2 Cash a while back since I think the increased specs over the S3 and the size difference makes the Note 2 about the last truly mobile OS run phone that makes sense to me.
Anything more than that seems to me a bit of the "we did it 'cause we could do it" mentality.

And no, this isn't me trying to convince myself because secretly I want a better phone but can't have it, I truly think the S3 was the last High-end phone I got when it came out. These days buying second hand or older gen phones Cash just makes way more sense given depreciation etc. and the fact that a generation or two (or selfs three) older is still way more than good enough.

Last edited:

Insint

Expert Member
So now that we've finally reached the point where the specs on Android phones are reaching levels that simply don't make sense anymore, I'd much rather want to know what Microsoft is planning for Windows Phone, or the Windows OS in general.

All I really want is a fully fledged Windows 8 Pro device with -obviously- support for dialing etc. And enough ports and connection options to make a grown man tear up. Yes, Ubuntu Phone OS is almost there but I have no interest in running Ubuntu as a desktop system.

We're pretty much there. Intel Baytrail devices like the Asus T100 in phone form factor would be perfect.
Apart from another 1GB of RAM I don't see the point of upgrading from my S3 yet, the need for that much speed etc. just doesn't make sense on a purely hand held form factor anymore....

+1 the day a phone comes that runs crysis is the day I will be excited to get a phone again. A phone that can run windows 8 pro would be excellent. :D

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Great oxymoron. :)

Naah, as much as MS is bungling the tablet/PC hybrid idea right now I have full faith that they'll have to get it right sooner or later.
Anything and everything I run that means something to me is done in the Windows environment and people can say what they will, but when it comes to speed, compatibility etc. Windows 8 at its core is quite astounding. I don't even care if they get "Metro" to work better. I'd probably mod the crap out of the thing anyway, I just need it to support the GSM radio etc. on future handsets and and I'll be happy.

skimread

Honorary Master
Now that Google has sold Motorola it would be good if Samsung stop moving away from stock Android like they were doing with the S4.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Now that Google has sold Motorola it would be good if Samsung stop moving away from stock Android like they were doing with the S4.

One thing is for certain, I expect whatever changes Samsung made to the Android UI/Launcher to suck complete and utter balls and their insistence on keeping code proprietary for certain hardware features on Samsung devices these days pisses me off to no end.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Screen density may have reached a point of severely diminished return but modern phones have a lot of room to improve still.

One thing is for certain, I expect whatever changes Samsung made to the Android UI/Launcher to suck complete and utter balls and their insistence on keeping code proprietary for certain hardware features on Samsung devices these days pisses me off to no end.

By all accounts, Google took a pretty hard line with them over their modifications of Android, and Samsung backed down. I'd expect to see a much tamer UI in Touchwiz from now on.

Last edited:

Paul_S

Executive Member
Screen density may have reached a point of severely diminished return but modern phones have a lot of room to improve still.

Such as battery life. Most high-end smart phones spend half their life plugged into a charger.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yes but also in performance. If we imagine that calendar apps, gussied-up UIs and racing games have maxed out the capabilities that we could desire in these smartphones we lack imagination.

Allin

Expert Member
Since I am a dinosaur I still love my Samsung Chat... Physical keyboards rock!

A few months ago we had this (usual) discussion about phones. Got most of my staff in a circle, and asked them to Whatsapp "I am in the office" to me without looking at their phones. Epic failures, all of them. If I could get a BB Z10 (or whatever) to run on Android I'd buy 2!

Tahir Ally

Since I am a dinosaur I still love my Samsung Chat... Physical keyboards rock!

A few months ago we had this (usual) discussion about phones. Got most of my staff in a circle, and asked them to Whatsapp "I am in the office" to me without looking at their phones. Epic failures, all of them. If I could get a BB Z10 (or whatever) to run on Android I'd buy 2!

I hope your are aware that BlackBerry10 devices with OS10.2.1 runs Android APKS and your device will still be secured.No malware too.

K

kingrob

+1

+2

I love my Note 2, it's fast and fantastic to work with.

*I see the Note 2 as a S2 on serious steroids, as the screen is much bigger, a notification light, two extra cores, 1GB RAM extra and a stylus! :love:

Battery life is super great, 2 days on normal use.

Will keep it for the foreseeable future, no need to get anything else.