Samsung Galaxy S5 (MyBroadband review)

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
You did not mention camera and screen enhancements, simple mode, kids mode, Download booster, Car mode, private mode or toolbox :)

AndrewAlston

Group Head of IP Strategy – Liquid Telecommunicati
Not sure I agree with their battery review, I carry 3 phones, a Huawei P6, an S4 and an S5. The S5 battery is *WAY* superior to either of the other 2, the thing has been on for the last 7 hours, and I've been using it, and I'm still sitting at 80% battery and the thing is not in ultra power saving mode.

Even running LTE data through it when in South Africa I was hitting 2 days on the battery.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Not sure I agree with their battery review, I carry 3 phones, a Huawei P6, an S4 and an S5. The S5 battery is *WAY* superior to either of the other 2, the thing has been on for the last 7 hours, and I've been using it, and I'm still sitting at 80% battery and the thing is not in ultra power saving mode.

Even running LTE data through it when in South Africa I was hitting 2 days on the battery.

Took a couple of charges to kick in for me though.
Think they have only charged it once.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I could never understand why Samsung must have two models, a LTE and a non-LTE. Why don't you just combine everything in the handset like Apple? Another fail from Samsung.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
You did not mention camera and screen enhancements, simple mode, kids mode, Download booster, Car mode, private mode or toolbox :)

And the review already clocked in at 2,000 words, which no-one is going to read all of :). It's hard deciding what to include and what not to, but someone has to make the hard calls :p

Not sure what difference it will make, but this was the Exynos 5 HSPA-only model, not the Qualcomm LTE-enabled model, and we had it hooked up to a Gear Fit via bluetooth almost all the time.

Think they have only charged it once.

Nope. Two of our reviewers used the device as their primary phone for a week each.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
And the review already clocked in at 2,000 words, which no-one is going to read all of :). It's hard deciding what to include and what not to, but someone has to make the hard calls :p

Not sure what difference it will make, but this was the Exynos 5 HSPA-only model, not the Qualcomm LTE-enabled model, and we had it hooked up to a Gear Fit via bluetooth almost all the time.

Nope. Two of our reviewers used the device as their primary phone for a week each.

I think not all but most of the features I brought out should at least have been given a mention :)

That camera can take some pretty amazing shots, things I would not even imagine would work on any other phone currently available.
Attached picture has been compressed by the phone and a website before coming here so does not do detail any real justice.

Notice where her feet are.

001AJ.jpg

I wonder if the LTE (quad core) lasts longer due to less cores in the CPU.

Also, a mistake I initially made was to not trust the phone to adjust the display for optimal lighting.
I realised early on though that the displays option +2 brightness was perfect for me in all scenarios but watching movies.

Last edited:

phoneJunky

Executive Member

My GF has the non LTE version and she gets about 2 days with normal use. At night it only drops like 2%, but I don't know if the battery will keep going like that.

Agree with the review though, but I think this plastic is better than the S4 and S3 though.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
I honestly hoped for more, I have a S3 and I couldnt be less interested in the S5.
I would happily rather take a M8 or even an iphone just to feel the good build quality again.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I honestly hoped for more, I have a S3 and I couldnt be less interested in the S5.
I would happily rather take a M8 or even an iphone just to feel the good build quality again.

I still quite like the S3. I was playing with the two side by side last week or the week before and besides it being pretty long in the tooth it is still a functional device.

If I were to compare the two it would be something like comparing a Golf 2 GTI to a Golf 7 GTI though.

Dolby

Honorary Master

Going to iOS from Android is taking a step (or two) backwards - and more than likely you'll miss the functions, integration and customization now that you have an Android.

The only plus point of iOS is that they're observing and taking ideas from Android - meaning their iOS 8 could add features be on par with Android 4.0.

TehStranger

Executive Member
S5 LTE battery life is good, used the SOs one extensively and it lasts almost as long as my Note 3.

Camera is fantastic, much better than my Note 3 and deserved a mention I reckon.

I wouldn't upgrade from an S4 to an S5 (the only really huge draw would be the IP67 rating), but going from an S2 or S3 it's a fantastic option.

Hectic

Executive Member
We got two S5's on Friday and I'm not wowed unfortunately.
That said, I did have the S3 and S4 in succession, leading up the to S5.

My daughter on the other hand came from a list of BB's as long as my arm and she is very impressed and very exited.

My wife took over the S4 and she is not much in technology other than using what she must.
She also comes from a BB background and although she is not clued up with Android, she does enjoy the bigger screen and the apps that are easy to get to. She is playing more and more with the phone and is impressed when she figure out something new.

I can't fault the S5 yet, other than I got used to 32GB onboard space on the S4.
I would have preferred the 32GB onboard space to the 16GB version, simply I because have no use for LTE.
Yes you can add an additional SD card and I have, but there are 3.7GB out of 16GB onboard space left on the phone after my apps were installed along with what came with the phone and most of my apps can't be moved to the SD card.

curbs2012

Expert Member
Moved to the S5 from the S3 and as Jan says in the review, if you're changing from the S3, this phone is definitely something to consider. I am happy with it.

magneto

i'll just w8 couple more months for teh Premium Galaxy S5 with 2K display

Spizz

Goat Botherer
i'll just w8 couple more months for teh Premium Galaxy S5 with 2K display

There has to be a sweet spot between the battery and the screen, and with the fantastic battery life and amazing screen at present on the S5, I wouldn't be surprised if it has been reached.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
There has to be a sweet spot between the battery and the screen, and with the fantastic battery life and amazing screen at present on the S5, I wouldn't be surprised if it has been reached.

I could understand the need for 2k on maybe minimum 15" screen but what would the point be on a 5"?
Are you going to be looking at the screen through a magnifying glass?

Noruk

I got the S5 three weeks ago, coming from a S3, in general I am happy with it. I was looking at the Sony Experia Z2 which has a good camera. I rejected the HTC one (M8) because local HTC support is very bad.

As far as the S5 is concerned. Take note:
The Vodacom deal for R469 pm comes with the non-LTE Octacore variant, at least via Nashua Mobile. Not the LTE Quadcore. In day to day operations most people would not know the difference. But I asked specifically before taking the device at the Nashua Mobile shop "is it LTE?" and the person at Nashua said they only come in LTE versions. Stupid? Ignorant? Or an a.s.s.h.o.l.e? The Vodacom advert doesn't specify, naughty Vodacom and Samsung.

So don't be fooled... if you want LTE then don't get this deal. Or more specifically ask before you commit.

The Good:
1. Camera in high light is incredible. It is super fast and has some useful extra modes.
2. 1080 screen is beautiful.
3. The IP67 rating is really cool piece of mind, I'm not going to dunk my phone but it's nice to know I could.
4. It does all the standard phone things as well as you'd expect.
5. The extra sensors are nice.
6. The ultra power saving mode will come in handy.

The Bad:
1. The camera in low light is unexpectedly bad. A phone camera is usually bad but on this high end device I expected a little bit better.
2. The device gets quite hot quickly, I use it for a few minutes, put it back in my pocket and my leg gets warm.
3. The battery is good but not orders better.
4. The pedometer is inaccurate.

The Ugly:
1. The S Health app completely broke when I installed the update which it recommends doing on first launch. As in doesn't even launch after that. I had to factory reset the device and then switch updates, for the S Health app, off to get it to work again. At least I'd only had the device for a day or two when I figured it out.
2. The fingerprint scanner is shockingly difficult to use. I'm almost at the point of switching it off.

Additional things to think about.
Octacore in this case means two slightly different quadcores, running at different frequencies. Supposedly for power management purposes. If Android kitkat doesn't know how to use the 8 cores effectively together then there is no advantage. You won't get a speed advantage on a single task, unless it has been properly programmed for concurrency, only less slowdown on multiple tasks.

I loved the S3 it was for me the best phone I have ever owned. The S5 is an evolutionary update, more of the same, so ultimately I'm happy with it... in two years time I will look again and see what the manufacturers have come up with.