Samsung Galaxy S5 versus HTC One M8 versus Sony Xperia Z2

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
I thought the same thing. Guess the choice will be down to what build quality you prefer though, I was looking at the HTC but see they've stuck with their fail of a camera.

Yeah apart from the cameras (wtf is UltraPixel + anyway) and ±20g weight difference ... nothing. All the same. Slap vanilla Android on all of them and what? Even more the same.

Price, brand preference and aesthetics is what it comes down to imo.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Yeah apart from the cameras (wtf is UltraPixel + anyway) and ±20g weight difference ... nothing. All the same. Slap vanilla Android on all of them and what? Even more the same.

Price, brand preference and aesthetics is what it comes down to imo.

If the S5 has ADH (which it probably will), then that will also be a deciding factor, I think.

ismailra

They also differ on softer features like water proof, dust proof, ANT+, heart rate monitor, FM radio, screen quality, wireless charging, finger print scanner, camera features, removable battery.

Last edited:

hawker

Honorary Master
I'd definitely go for the HTC ONE.

My old HTC still works like a bomb, and I'm starting to dislike the cheap feel of my S3.

cyb3rt

no dust and water resistance on the HTC? I am also a huge HTC fan but that might be a deal breaker for me... I can upgrade start of May but I am starting to think I am going to hold on to it for a while, nothing new is catching my attention tbh

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
MyBroadband gets the Z2's battery spec wrong every time. It's 3200mAh FFS!

The S5 is probably the most sensible choice in SA, because Samsung has great support in this country, because it's more likely to survive a fall and because the user interface is probably easier for the layman to use.

Personally, I think the Z2 is the best phone on the market atm.

The HTC One is last by a fair distance - the lower bezel is hilariously ginormous, the rear 4MP 'ultra pixel' camera is still the worst amongst the flagships, the phone is thick and has a pretty bad HTC UI skin. Also, the S5 and Z2 are highly resistant to dust and water, whereas the One is not.

Sodan

Expert Member
Z2 for me, if I wasn't already paying off a Galaxy Note 2014 (with which I'm very happy with).

But seriously, I can really do with an upgrade to my LG P500. Decisions, decisions...

MyBroadband gets the Z2's battery spec wrong every time. It's 3200mAh FFS!

The S5 is probably the most sensible choice in SA, because Samsung has great support in this country, because it's more likely to survive a fall and because the user interface is probably easier for the layman to use.

Personally, I think the Z2 is the best phone on the market atm.

The HTC One is last by a fair distance - the lower bezel is hilariously ginormous, the rear 4MP 'ultra pixel' camera is still the worst amongst the flagships, the phone is thick and has a pretty bad HTC UI skin. Also, the S5 and Z2 are highly resistant to dust and water, whereas the One is not.

does the Z2 also not have a bottom bezel that is used for nothing?

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The table lacks a row for water and dust resistance. Big differentiator! With it, this

If the S5 has ADH (which it probably will), then that will also be a deciding factor, I think.

and this

are N/A, when compared to the Z2.

Last edited:
K

kingrob

Sony Z2 is the one to get.

The 3GB RAM is the best way to future proof your Android device.

Agree with Kingrob Z2 is the device to get.

what the hell are you doing?! agreeing with kingrob! that's just... no, no... i'm sorry... that's just not allowed! especially when he's wrong!

but lets have your opinion. why do you say the Z2 is the one to get?

CraZee

Sony Z2 is the one to get.

The 3GB RAM is the best way to future proof your Android device.

I fully agree.
The Z2 also had much better water resistance than the S5.

However I personally love the Samsung ecosystem.