Samsung Galaxy S5 versus HTC One M8 versus Sony Xperia Z2

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I flash my phones almost immediately after I buy them.

No warrantee impact? Even if it does specifically void the dealer guarantee, the particle physicists running the local shop will try and tell you to buzz off when they see an unfamiliar screen on your phone.

cyb3rt

No warrantee impact? Even if it does specifically void the dealer guarantee, the particle physicists running the local shop will try and tell you to buzz off when they see an unfamiliar screen on your phone.

I do the same as I hate the bloat of manufacturers. Its easy enough to flash back to stock if it's required.

genetic

Honorary Master

Phones don't always fail. They majority of them work just fine.

If you need to send it in, flash stock.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
does the Z2 also not have a bottom bezel that is used for nothing?

It's not as bad as the HTC One.

But will you replace the OS before the warranty period runs out?

A launcher could do the job along with superuser access, but even if you were to flash custom firmware it would only take a few minutes to restore the stock firmware if necessary.

So what does the z2 give you that the s5 doesn't?

- Good looks
- Better waterproofing
- 50% more RAM
- 400mAh more battery
- 20MP camera

It's not as bad as the HTC One.
But with the S5 atleast that bottom bezel is used for something, and its smaller.

- Good looks
- Better waterproofing
- 50% more RAM
- 400mAh more battery
- 20MP camera

- yes
- no
- doesn't matter
- because sony is not optimized they need more (not really :D )
- MP don't mean squat, S5s features are better

Z2-'s
- big bezel
- crap screen
- not the best camera

S5+'s
- ADH
- Finger printer reader (don't care for the lock screen shyte, more interested in the private mode)
- better camera
- heart rate monitor (won't use it myself, but its there)
- does the sony have a IR yet? guess not
- better screen
- lighter (if only slightly)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
But with the S5 atleast that bottom bezel is used for something, and its smaller.

- yes
- no
- doesn't matter
- because sony is not optimized they need more (not really :D )
- MP don't mean squat, S5s features are better

Z2-'s
- big bezel
- crap screen
- not the best camera

S5+'s
- ADH
- Finger printer reader (don't care for the lock screen shyte, more interested in the private mode)
- better camera
- heart rate monitor (won't use it myself, but its there)
- does the sony have a IR yet? guess not
- better screen
- lighter (if only slightly)

The Z2 is IP58 certified and the S5 is IP67 certified, so obviously the Z2 is more waterproof.

Considering the million occasions where I or someone I was passing my phone to accidentally hit the capacitive back button on my S3, having on-screen buttons with the Z2 will be great.

3GB of RAM is a big deal for heavy users. It doesn't matter if Sony is optimised for battery life, the custom ROM's will be.

Private mode is irrelevant. There are plenty of Play Store apps that do a better job.

The Z2 has an outstanding screen, and third party camera apps improve the camera performance.

The Z2 is IP58 certified and the S5 is IP67 certified, so obviously the Z2 is more waterproof.

Considering the million occasions where I or someone I was passing my phone to accidentally hit the capacitive back button on my S3, having on-screen buttons with the Z2 will be great.

3GB of RAM is a big deal for heavy users. It doesn't matter if Sony is optimised for battery life, the custom ROM's will be.

Private mode is irrelevant. There are plenty of Play Store apps that do a better job.

The Z2 has an outstanding screen, and third party camera apps improve the camera performance.

ok. i didn't understand the IP ratings. Samsung more dustproof, Sony more waterproof. I don't plan on swimming with my device, so I should be fine. But ok, you win :)

So the bezel is there to pass your phone to someone else? lol I've used a phone with on screen buttons, and they irritated the schit out of me, kept pressing them by accident and returning home.

Obviously if most of the phones are sticking to 2GB, 3 is not needed.

Private mode. The ones have found on the play store just sucks really. Not to say that samsung's version won't suck as well.

I've seen videos of the Z2 screen, and I don't agree with the use of the word "outstanding"

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
ok. i didn't understand the IP ratings. Samsung more dustproof, Sony more waterproof. I don't plan on swimming with my device, so I should be fine. But ok, you win :)

So the bezel is there to pass your phone to someone else? lol I've used a phone with on screen buttons, and they irritated the schit out of me, kept pressing them by accident and returning home.

Obviously if most of the phones are sticking to 2GB, 3 is not needed.

Private mode. The ones have found on the play store just sucks really. Not to say that samsung's version won't suck as well.

I've seen videos of the Z2 screen, and I don't agree with the use of the word "outstanding"

No, the bezel is there to hold the device comfortably in landscape mode. Most flagships have 2GB of RAM because it's cheaper. 3GB makes an awesome difference. Hell, it basically negates the need to root and flash custom firmware, as the main point of doing that was to remove the bloat taking up valuable memory space.

Hide It Pro/Audio Manager is an exceptional private gallery. Nothing about it sucks.

You're straight up wrong about the Z2's screen. Gizmodo, Engadget, GSM Arena etc. all said that the Z2's Triluminos display is excellent and a massive improvement on the crap screen in the Z1. All the video coverage I've seen of the Z2 remarks on how good the screen is.

No, the bezel is there to hold the device comfortably in landscape mode. Most flagships have 2GB of RAM because it's cheaper. 3GB makes an awesome difference. Hell, it basically negates the need to root and flash custom firmware, as the main point of doing that was to remove the bloat taking up valuable memory space.

Hide It Pro/Audio Manager is an exceptional private gallery. Nothing about it sucks.

You're straight up wrong about the Z2's screen. Gizmodo, Engadget, GSM Arena etc. all said that the Z2's Triluminos display is excellent and a massive improvement on the crap screen in the Z1. All the video coverage I've seen of the Z2 remarks on how good the screen is.

Thanks for the app suggestions, I'll check it out.

Improvement on a screen does make it awesome, the low base that was the Z1 is easy beatable.