Samsung Galaxy S9 Battery Life

SirSlothXCI

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to the Samsung S9 and while I absolutely love this device, the battery performance is quite frankly horrendous. In a typical day I find that the battery is empty around 5pm after plugging it out of the charger at around 9am. Is this the standard of this phone's battery?

This morning I plugged it out at 8am while it was at 70% and as of this moment it's sitting on 11% with about 2 hours of screen on time. Your input is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Zyk1

Expert Member
Same boat as you.
Would like to know the responses.
Last week I upgraded to the S9+.
Overnight battery drain last night was about 20%.
I have been googling on the issue this morning. You may want to try the following:
Switch off AOD
If not using BIXBY often, deactivate it
If not using Google assistance often, deactivate it
Switch on wifi, Bluetooth and GPS only when needed.
And the normal stuff like decrease screen brightness, clear cache etc.
I know, this is a schelp, since it renders all the new features of a new phone pointless

Rabobi

Executive Member
Did some research when i upgraded and went for the s8 instead of s9 due to battery concerns.

It may just be a bad battery too. Perhaps take it to Samsung to test and possibly replace the battery

marioat1

Expert Member
Wonder which network you guys are on that are having these issues. I've noticed my telkom sim drains battery rapidly

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Switch off AOD
If not using BIXBY often, deactivate it
If not using Google assistance often, deactivate it
Switch on wifi, Bluetooth and GPS only when needed.
And the normal stuff like decrease screen brightness, clear cache etc.
I know, this is a schelp, since it renders all the new features of a new phone pointless
May as well just turn the phone on only when you need it and then off again when done.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
I have an S9, upgraded to Pie the other day. Since then my battery life has increased a whole lot. Usually by this time of day, my battery would around 50%, but since the update it is between 70 - 80%.

Zyk1

Expert Member
I did a few of the tips and tricks mentioned on a few forums.
I already noticed an overnight improvement. Battery dropped just 12%, compared to 20% the previous night.
This morning I optimized a few apps, not to run in background, as well as turned off the network auto connect mode.
I already noticed a big improvement.
Don't know why these phones come standard with all the battery draining features enabled.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I got a dual sim s9 and it lasts all day from 6am to 6pm with some battery life remaining.
All this with 4 email accounts pushing every 15 minutes. I make and receive calls almost all day, and hotspot turned on every now and then.

Something must be draining your battery, or as mentioned above , bad battery.

Zyk1

Expert Member
I went into the battery system on the phone and chose to "optimize all Apps" for battery usage.
I truly don't understand why this is not the default setting or why this need to be adjustable.
My overnight drain is now around 6%, which I think is normal for this phone (was 20%).
Happy now

SirSlothXCI

The battery has started improving for some odd reason. I've had the phone for about a week and it's almost as if it lasts longer now than what it did a week before.

Maybe it was still settling in, but I'm getting around 6 hours of screen on time now instead of 4. Will see where this leads - is it normal for a battery to take a few days to "settle in" as some people have suggested to me?

SkyWolf

I went into the battery system on the phone and chose to "optimize all Apps" for battery usage.
I truly don't understand why this is not the default setting or why this need to be adjustable.
My overnight drain is now around 6%, which I think is normal for this phone (was 20%).
Happy now
Howzit man,

Apologies for rehashing an old thread, but do you still have the device? If so how's the battery life with the latest android on it?

Thanks

SkyWolf

my S9 + battery life lasts about 9 hours
Read that the s9+ has decent life as its a 3500mah battery. The normal s9 is 3000mah, so was wondering on that device?

With the new updates, hows the devices performance overall?

Randhir

Honorary Master
Read that the s9+ has decent life as its a 3500mah battery. The normal s9 is 3000mah, so was wondering on that device?

I charge my phone once a day, and it's never dead. I use whatsapp (and on PC), bluetooth, calls etc.

I have switched a lot of unnecessary stuff off though.

rexter

i have all the updates quiet a few apps and no performance problems from fully charged at 8am till 5 pm i have about 40% battery life left and not forgetting i get a lot of calls and also watsapp