Samsung Galaxy SIII WIFI hotpsot

kilobits

Executive Member
Hi guys

Quick question... friend has moved and waiting for ADSL installation. In the meanwhile he has been using his Samsung Galaxy sIII WIFI hotspot function to connect his laptop to the interwebs on his Vodacom SIM.

This has been working perfectly without error for the past 3 days... except today.

He can browse and VNC into his other PC's without error, but cannot skype, send / receive email or ftp anything at all. Was working perfectly for the last 3 days, just all borked apart from browsing this morning.

He has rebooted the phone and laptop, re-established the WIFI connection... and still can only browse.

Any ideas what he can check his side... or must he do the Vodacom support call thing.

He is in Cape Town, southern suburbs.

All input most welcome and appreciated.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Good Afternoon Kilobits,
Tim from MTN Business here. Try using just the phone to access the internet. e.g. use the phone's browser to see if you get to google.
If you can't then the problem lies with the phone to service provider. Depending on the contract he may have hit a cap for connectivity. Most providers then show a screen on the phone to highlight it.
Hotspots generally work well as your friend has seen and clearly it is connecting as he can see the other devices.

Regards

Tim

kilobits

Executive Member
LOL... your post reminds me of that "Hi, Tim from Tracker here" advert !

I will ask him... he either managed to come right and is now ignoring me or he has lost all communication means since this morning's conversation.

It has worked without issues for close on 4 days... just this morning pooof.

Thanks for the feedback... I did not think to ask him if he could still do the Skype / ftp stuff from the phone, I suspected a port block thingy from the service provider...

Good Afternoon Kilobits,
Tim from MTN Business here. Try using just the phone to access the internet. e.g. use the phone's browser to see if you get to google.
If you can't then the problem lies with the phone to service provider. Depending on the contract he may have hit a cap for connectivity. Most providers then show a screen on the phone to highlight it.
Hotspots generally work well as your friend has seen and clearly it is connecting as he can see the other devices.

Regards

Tim

Dwergie

I'm in the V & A Waterfront and something weird is also going on with my connection as well. Gmail emails not coming through, Whatsapp not connecting. I tried to access Google Play, keeps giving timeouts. When I load google via the browser it it loads. I've restarted my phone twice but it's giving me no love.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi Dwergie. I saw earlier this week that a service provider was reporting degradation on International Links. That might account for whot you are seeing. I have noticed that going to Google gives you the South Afcrican Google site and hence why you may see it on the phone.
@kilobits No relation to the other Tim but thanks for the smile.

kilobits

Executive Member
Hi Dwergie. I saw earlier this week that a service provider was reporting degradation on International Links. That might account for whot you are seeing. I have noticed that going to Google gives you the South Afcrican Google site and hence why you may see it on the phone.
@kilobits No relation to the other Tim but thanks for the smile.
Hey Hey Tim

Strange thing is, the friend went to Tokai today, and the setup worked again... back in Cape Town, no go. It seems to be a Vodacom Cape Town regional issue. Weird !!