Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in South Africa

xrapidx

Honorary Master
début in Cape Town last night (26 July 2011)

They were demoing them here about a month and a half ago....

I just hope the networks (Vodacom) have them this year.

RichardG

Honorary Master
where can I buy the 3g 32gb one?

Edgars Eastgate has them but not sure if its the new version 10.1 - I have always seen them on display so could be the older version and same recommended retail pricing.

EchoZA

Expert Member
and after I ordered my P1 today :( guess next month will be either a XOOM or 10.1 :)

Avenue

Expert Member
these tablets look like cool toys, but damn they pricey. Gonna give it a few years.

mh348

Expert Member
Is this new tab al known as P7510 / P7500 ??

I was planning on buying a tab and I might get the new Samsung... I ordered some stuff from china last week and just ordered a leather case for the P7510, I just hope its the same as the P4

mh348

Expert Member
http://boingboing.net/2011/07/25/sa...-a-poorly-thought-through-disappointment.html

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1: Android iPad-killer is a poorly thought-through disappointment
Posted by Cory Doctorow on Monday, Jul 25th at 5:18am

My latest Guardian column is a pretty unenthusiastic review of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, hailed by many as the first serious Android-based iPad competitor. The Galaxy has all the right parts, but they’re assembled without much care or forethought. Something I missed mentioning in the review is that the device hides the low-profile power key next to the low-profile volume key, and they’re nearly indistinguishable to the touch, so every time I adjust the volume, I end up turning off the device. Try to imagine how that goes over with the three-year-old when I turn down the sound on a YouTube cartoon she’s enjoying and inadvertently switch the screen off.

But Samsung’s tablets – for no discernible reason – use a custom tip that isn’t any of the standard mini- or micro-USB ends. Instead, it’s a wide, flat connector, like the one Apple uses, but of course, it’s not compatible with Apple’s cables, either. I’ve already lost mine, run down the battery and now I can’t use the tablet again until I find another one. I passed through three airports recently, and none of them had a store that stocked them.

I have phone charger cables in my office, my travel bag, my backpack and beside the bed. The very last thing in the entire world that I need right now is to have to add another kind of USB cable to all those places. The decision to use a proprietary connector in a device whose major selling point is that it is non-proprietary is the stupidest thing about the Galaxy Tab 10.1 – even stupider than calling it the “Galaxy Tab 10.1.”

Likewise disappointing was the decision to omit the microSD card slot on the Wi-Fi-only version of the tablet. The 3G-equipped models come with a built-in microSD reader (handy to have, especially if you need to load some data onto the device and you’ve mislaid the stupid proprietary cable). This is integrated into the Sim assembly used by the 3G devices, and rather than leaving the empty Sim assembly in place and leaving the card-reader intact, Samsung removed the whole thing.

pixel_ninja

Expert Member
Was at a vodastore today, checked out one of the dummy models, and I didn't see a SD slot.. anyways I need a USB port. Now I'm just worried about the support for my 10.1v...

mh348

Expert Member
[video=youtube;yPisyGVALcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPisyGVALcc[/video]

Official Galaxy Tab 10.1 Info Clip

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Was at a vodastore today, checked out one of the dummy models, and I didn't see a SD slot.. anyways I need a USB port. Now I'm just worried about the support for my 10.1v...

The MicroSD apparently shares the little drawer with the SIM card. So there's no separate slot for it. It's more like a memory expansion, its not really to be used to plug cards in and out of all the time, hence they tucked it neatly away.

diabolus

Executive Member

That is why i eventually went with the ipad, the Samsung "range" is so confusing and riddled with loose-ends that no matter which model you take, you always loose something. Either its thick with better camera and port, or it is thin and then you lose half the stuff. Samsung will say their idea is to give an option for everyone, but geez, at least stick to some standard when it comes to the ports available and functionality.

I was going to wait for the thin 10.1 [which no one in SA seems to have ] , but then i saw it is missing critical stuff which the thicker version have and it simply becomes a comparison nightmare.

At least with the Ipad , you can be relatively certain there's an adapter for whatever is missing, with all these different Samsung models, i just don't see them making say a SD-card adapter for the ONE model they decided not to put it in.....

Hamster

Resident Rodent
These tablets are just way too expensive. R7500 for something with a 64GB HDD... and these devices are basically toys for reading emails and browsing the net.