Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in South Africa

dudleygb

Expert Member
like anything prices will comes down, thats why I went for the contract, will pay about 5300 for the device after the 2 years

boom

2 words...

ASUS Transformer.

Beats the galaxy 10.1 into the ground and is way better.

K3NS31

Expert Member
OK, let's see:
Too expensive. If I won't buy an Ipad 2 at current prices I definitely won't buy this at R7 000 odd.
What's the resolution? (From GSM Arena - 800x1200 @ 16M colours - Gorilla glass of course)
No proper SD slot sucks, even the 3G one doesn't have a proper slot, they're just using the one that comes with the built-in mobile broadband modem.
Proprietary data/power connector? WTF? Have they lost their minds?

Still no tab for me then. Ah well, nevermind I'll just wait till the cheap brands get decent capacitive screens. Won't be long now.
I refuse to pay more money for what is basically a netbook with no keyboard. I reckon R 3500 is the what a high end tab should cost, R 4000 for a premium one like a full-house ipad2 or this Samsung. Maybe R 4500. Otherwise I can just buy a high-end netbook. At least it'll be lighter than an ipad, lol

mh348

Expert Member
That is why i eventually went with the ipad, the Samsung "range" is so confusing and riddled with loose-ends that no matter which model you take, you always loose something. Either its thick with better camera and port, or it is thin and then you lose half the stuff. Samsung will say their idea is to give an option for everyone, but geez, at least stick to some standard when it comes to the ports available and functionality.

I was going to wait for the thin 10.1 [which no one in SA seems to have ] , but then i saw it is missing critical stuff which the thicker version have and it simply becomes a comparison nightmare.

At least with the Ipad , you can be relatively certain there's an adapter for whatever is missing, with all these different Samsung models, i just don't see them making say a SD-card adapter for the ONE model they decided not to put it in.....

I'm sure whether I should still go for the Galaxy, I still want a android tab, my brother has the ipad2 and a friend has the 10.1v so I've played ith both and prefer the android... Now its just a question of which 1

ASUS Transformer.

Beats the galaxy 10.1 into the ground and is way better.

It has no 3g so that might be a problem... Anyways who has the best price on this ? Also is there a way to tether it to a bb

boom

Fair enough but 3G is not a big deal for me as I have wifi at home and can tether from my phone. Tablet will be mainly a bedside reader. It depends on your needs.

Tablet wont replace my pc any time soon

K3NS31

Expert Member
Two words

No 3G.

Fair enough but 3G is not a big deal for me as I have wifi at home and can tether from my phone. Tablet will be mainly a bedside reader. It depends on your needs.

Tablet wont replace my pc any time soon

If I'm not mistaken it has a proper USB port. So just get a 3G dongle. Not as convenient as built-in 3G, but considering the premium that's being charged for that 'feature' these days, I'd rather suffer the inconvenience and save the extra R500 or so. PLUS the ASUS tab has a keyboard expansion (via a custom slot), which is useful.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
If I'm not mistaken it has a proper USB port. So just get a 3G dongle. Not as convenient as built-in 3G, but considering the premium that's being charged for that 'feature' these days, I'd rather suffer the inconvenience and save the extra R500 or so. PLUS the ASUS tab has a keyboard expansion (via a custom slot), which is useful.

No thanks- I don't want to be dragging around a dongle.

RE: Keyboard, many tablets have keyboard addons these days.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Motorola XOOM and the Asus EE Pad knocks all other tablets outta here. I don't know why people still use the iPad to compare. It is rubbish compared to this.

K3NS31

Expert Member
No thanks- I don't want to be dragging around a dongle.

RE: Keyboard, many tablets have keyboard addons these days.

See, it depends what you need. I'd compromise on the dongle to get the lower price plus a proper card-reader and a far lighter device (compared to the Ipad anyway).

mfumbesi

Expert Member
Samsung have pegged the recommended retail price of the 32GB Galaxy Tab 10.1 (P4) at R7,599 – the same price as a 64GB iPad 2 with Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity.
Bad, bad idea.

diabolus

Executive Member
Motorola XOOM and the Asus EE Pad knocks all other tablets outta here. I don't know why people still use the iPad to compare. It is rubbish compared to this.

And what can those do that the ipad 2 can't do at a much lower price? [And you can get Flash on the Ipad2 without jailbreaking, just by the way....]

Anyway i was also going for Android, but ultimately took a chance with Apple [i don't have any other Apple products] and i am extremely pleased with the decision. It is not so much the hardware , it is the software, the apps and the amount of accessories you get for the Ipad. Everything i wanted to do, i could do on the ipad, from remote desktop, to watching DSTV to HDMI-streaming to my TV, to Exchange Email syncing to Office and Google integration to reading my Kindle books on it . You also get a SD-card adapter [one that can read more than photos] and a zillion keyboard docks that work the same as the Transformer . So i dunno, that is what it is all about at the end of the day.

I have a Blackberry phone and my main gripe has always been the support of apps/tools for it, so it features very high on my list when i make a decision. So sure Android got a huge marketplace , but you'll have to look to the actual tablet too and whether the manufacturer is actually going to create a market for accessories/support for it specifically...something Apple shines in.

Oh and i forgot to add, the Ipad 2 is still the tablet with the best battery life of them all....still.

Last edited:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
And what can those do that the ipad 2 can't do at a much lower price? [And you can get Flash on the Ipad2 without jailbreaking, just by the way....]

Anyway i was also going for Android, but ultimately took a chance with Apple [i don't have any other Apple products] and i am extremely pleased with the decision. It is not so much the hardware , it is the software, the apps and the amount of accessories you get for the Ipad. Everything i wanted to do, i could do on the ipad, from remote desktop, to watching DSTV to HDMI-streaming to my TV, to Exchange Email syncing to Office and Google integration to reading my Kindle books on it . You also get a SD-card adapter [one that can read more than photos] and a zillion keyboard docks that work the same as the Transformer . So i dunno, that is what it is all about at the end of the day.

I have a Blackberry phone and my main gripe has always been the support of apps/tools for it, so it features very high on my list when i make a decision. So sure Android got a huge marketplace , but you'll have to look to the actual tablet too and whether the manufacturer is actually going to create a market for accessories/support for it specifically...something Apple shines in.

Oh and i forgot to add, the Ipad 2 is still the tablet with the best battery life of them all....still.

I said iPad. Not iPad2.

K3NS31

Expert Member

snip....

I thought the Asus was cheaper than an ipad 2, but I could be wrong. Either way, don't feel like being locked in to iOS. Prefer Android thanks.

diabolus

Executive Member
I thought the Asus was cheaper than an ipad 2, but I could be wrong. Either way, don't feel like being locked in to iOS. Prefer Android thanks.

They're basically the same price, but if you're looking for a 3G tablet,the Asus isn't even an option.
Asus at Look and Listen : http://www.lookandlisten.co.za/view/149034/ . 16GB+Wifi for R4299 [*without the keyboard dock!]
Ipad 2 at IC/Dion : http://www.core.co.za/secondary.html 16GB+Wifi for R4399

*The Transformer keyboard dock is another R1500 on top of that price.

squid66

Transformer +

Worth considering is that the Transformer keyboard contains an additonal battery which almost doubles the tablet battery life as well as acting as a USB port expander.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
CAUTION

Although the design and feel of the device is great; the honeycomb software is at this point too buggy to be considered usable;
coupled with the lack of available applications makes this potentially a wasted investment.

Based on my experience with the device (+-3 weeks), I would advise anyone considering this to rather wait;
watch the market and listen to the general consensus before taking the leap.

anrichp

Asus is due to release the 3G model in august in the US so we should see it 2 weeks after that. The US just released the Galaxy 10.1 LTE version on the 28th of July.