Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in South Africa

DaHammer

Also not an Apple fan, but the Apple echo system coupled with the slick and stable software makes me to lean towards the IPad2 more and more.

jacauc

Does anyone know who stocks them as of tomorrow? Looking to get a 3G 32GB model as soon as possible

diabolus

Executive Member
Did you have a look at the link xrapidx posted ?

I'd say that comparison is somewhat flawed in terms of South Africa. The ipad 2 is alot cheaper than the Galaxy Tab in SA, period. Also, the models being compared is the low[est] end model of the iPad 2 [the reviewer obviously went with the model with the same price in the USA, even though it's not the case in SA] .

Either way, the main things i'd say going for the Galaxy Tab is the better Camera and the Android Platform, assuming you are actually interested in customizing and fiddling with Android. iOS might not have alot of themeing and customizing your home screen , but in the bigger scheme of things , how important is it really? Also the big question about Flash , you can play Flash on the ipad 2, there's a bunch of apps to get websites like SterKinekor working and playing videos, so it's not a dead-end either.

Last edited:

Krypt0n1te

greggpb

Expert Member
I'd say that comparison is somewhat flawed in terms of South Africa. The ipad 2 is alot cheaper than the Galaxy Tab in SA, period. Also, the models being compared is the low[est] end model of the iPad 2 [the reviewer obviously went with the model with the same price in the USA, even though it's not the case in SA] .

Either way, the main things i'd say going for the Galaxy Tab is the better Camera and the Android Platform, assuming you are actually interested in customizing and fiddling with Android. iOS might not have alot of themeing and customizing your home screen , but in the bigger scheme of things , how important is it really? Also the big question about Flash , you can play Flash on the ipad 2, there's a bunch of apps to get websites like SterKinekor working and playing videos, so it's not a dead-end either.

If you buy a galaxy from the us via myus and amazon it will set you back 4800ish for the 16gb very close to ipad2 price

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I am really torn.. IPAD2 or Galaxy 10.1 grrrrrr
iPad 2 would be my choice. The build quality, pricing and UI in general, not to mention battery life, GPU and amount of apps & games available are way better on the iPad. The screens are about equal.

diabolus

Executive Member
If you buy a galaxy from the us via myus and amazon it will set you back 4800ish for the 16gb very close to ipad2 price

Yea sure, but why? Unless you really hate apple, there is very little incentive to go that route. For a change the apple prices are relatively on par with overseas, but samsung is clearly ripping us of here....

Fact of the matter is, it is a close call beween the two and really comes down to personal preference of OS if you ignore price and accessability. Ipad2 is available at local stores at good prices, the galaxy is not. There is also accessories everywhere for the ipad something i dont foresee with the other tablet, especially if everyone imports them and cant buy them in regular stores.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

greggpb

Expert Member
Yea sure, but why? Unless you really hate apple, there is very little incentive to go that route. For a change the apple prices are relatively on par with overseas, but samsung is clearly ripping us of here....

Fact of the matter is, it is a close call beween the two and really comes down to personal preference of OS if you ignore price and accessability. Ipad2 is available at local stores at good prices, the galaxy is not. There is also accessories everywhere for the ipad something i dont foresee with the other tablet, especially if everyone imports them and cant buy them in regular stores.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Very valid point and I agree Apple is ticking all the boxes here.. and Apple make consumer devices but i am a bit more of a power user/fiddler.. and I have had a couple of apple products die on me.. .. thats why i am torn.. my whole body is saying no to apple except my wallet

jacauc

... And still not a single word on where I could actually buy one. (3G)

Shads

Expert Member
Problem is that a lot of us prefer to buy these things on contract. I think Apple made a mistake by not having them available on contract - loads more people would have taken them.

So my choice will still be the Galaxy Tab

Madhawk

Honorary Master
... And still not a single word on where I could actually buy one. (3G)

Incredible Connection advertised in the newspaper today. R6599-00 on Prepaid and some Vodacon Contract.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
GalaxyTab569x800.jpg

Tim182

Expert Member