Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 review (MyBroadband)

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 review (MyBroadband)

Samsung has been making headlines lately; many of them revolve around patent disputes, with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the spotlight. Is it naught but a copy, or is it innovation at its finest?

Last edited:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
No mention made of Newton Rings and 3G data counters that doesn't work on this device. If this is the best Aondroid tablet then I can understand why Apple has nothing to fear. Honeycomb sux as an OS and the apps for it really sux. There is imo no way this comes close to an iPad 2. Spec sheets are very deceiving. I say this as someone who got used to the iPad and then moved to the Samsung P7500. Hopefully ICS will rescue Honeycomb ... I cannot wait for ICS to come to my tablet so that I can get a decent selection of apps (as is the case with Gingerbread).

The freedom that comes with Android has many benefits but then Sammie in their wisdom decided to give us a port that need an extra adaptor for USB.

The P7500 has huge potential. I hope Samsung get ICS out for it ASAP. Then it will be real cool.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

BeVonk!

Executive Member
On the positive side ...

The screen is amazing and the flexibility to install other keyboards for example is a real plus. I love the thumb keyboard. The device is thin and slim and mine came with a very nice case that works really well. The media capabilities is awesome and watching movies a real joy. Pity about the lack of quality apps to show the true abilities of this device. Developers will wait for ICS and then the floodgates will open. Samsung's local support is good and that is important.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
As it stands right now ... if someone were to place an iPad 2 and this Samsung pad in front of me for me to select one I will go for the Apple. A year from now it may well be the other way around.

Jola

Honorary Master
What is your problem with Honeycomb Apps ???

I can honestly say that I have everything that I desire, and that the sheer number of Apps that are available far exceed what I could ever use / want / desire !

As far as I am concerned my Xoom is better than the iPad 2 - YMMV !

If my Xoom is stolen right now, I would replace it with another Xoom !

BeVonk!

Executive Member
What is your problem with Honeycomb Apps ???

I can honestly say that I have everything that I desire, and that the sheer number of Apps that are available far exceed what I could ever use ...

Using both the iPad (1) and this tablet I cannot find nearly as many quality NATIVE apps for honeycomb. You may find apps that can do all you need but the choices are very limited and the quality often poor. App crashes are far more common than what I get on my iPad ... some native apps don't work at all. On Apple everything just works all the time. This situation will improve over time and ICS will bring a huge improvement. I am excited at what ICS will bring. Honeycomb in my books is a half-baked OS ... no wonder Google hides the code.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I haven't used either really - but the lack of Flash on the iPad is enough to make me avoid it :/

Jola

Honorary Master
... On Apple everything just works all the time.

BS !!!

I have a 32GB iPod 4G, I hardly use it, because it is an unstable POS !

Definitely less usable than an equivalent Android device !

Richardxtc

I totally love my galaxy tab 10.1!!! the screen is awesome, its fast, sound is great, apps and games are great, browsing is fast and easy (suppose anything would be better than my 9300 lol), video quality is super good during the day at night its so so.

downsides that I would point out are, the lack of an expandable memory, picture quality is not what I expected (seems like the p1000s quality is better), availability of accesories(I had to go to every shop and more to look for accessories and then when I found a cover in particular they cost R800 so I went to the flea market and picked one up for R180)

overall I think that the p7500. is super awesome but is it better than the ipad 2 no idea as I haven't played on one lol

Jola

Honorary Master
My problem with the Samsung is the lack of a MicroSD card slot.

This is the main reason why I would go for the Xoom again !

BTW, I have played with iPads, but the lack of a card slot, and iTunes, just kills it - and I don't find it to work better or more stable than the Honeycomb tablets.

drukkie

Expert Member
SD card slot is a bummer but 16GB is more than enough...for now...
prices will come down hard and fast...so much that apple will have to lower it's price too...

see what happened with the amazon firestarter kindle (that's the name i think)

drukkie

Expert Member
I have a 5Gb bundle in there....so i stream all my sports (when supersport is freaking working)
stream youtube....

and use audiogalaxy to stream my HUGE collection of mp3's from home...

Creag

The Boar's Rock
The more I read about it, the more I would really love to have it.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
On my P7500 I can't even get a simple thing like a wallpaper to display the way I want it to. The cropping is soo stupid. I just did a reboot now after a live wallpaper went crazy.

jacquesv

I had the newtons rings on my rooted tab and MTN replaced it without any questions after a month of use. So far the new one has been fine. I have bought into the whole Android ecosystem so an iPad was never even on the radar for me. The 32 Gig size was a concern but with All Share I just stream the content I want from my media centre. I love my tab :)

erMaC

No mention made of Newton Rings and 3G data counters that doesn't work on this device.

When I flashed Overcome 1.1.0 along with Pershoot 2.6.36.4 the data counter issue was resolved. I know this isn't an ideal solution, but it might be helpful to you. I presume the kernel resolved the data counter issue.

Calico182

Expert Member
Loving my SGT 10.1 - watching HD mkvs (or pretty much any other movie format) with Diceplayer over the network without having to convert the files like you would with an iPad is awesome. Already popped on a custom rom (Overcome) with regular updates coming out fixing any issues found. Have my USB and SD adapters (R270 for the two) so now can expand my memory if I need to temporarily. Could never use an iPad - a sea of icons is no where close to useful, informative widgets on a desktop. Why must I open my calendar app if I just want a quick glimpse of my agenda?

smartguy

Newtons rings

Of the 7 people who got these devices, 3 sent them back because of the newtons rings issue. They were all replaced without question by mtn. The owners accept they're delicate devices and don't let the kids play with it too much anymore. I don't have the problem on my 7" and another doesn't have the problem with his 10.1v. I guess it's got to do with the rigidity of the device.

Jola

Honorary Master
Of the 7 people who got these devices, 3 sent them back because of the newtons rings issue. ... . I guess it's got to do with the rigidity of the device.

Thanks, I would rather have my Xoom that is 2mm thicker, than to have this problem !