Samsung Galaxy Tab review (MyBroadband)

DukeofHouse

Agree with the size comments in the review.
The iPad is definitely more slick, but the 7" form factor is so much more convenient for reading, movies, music, etc.
Now if only they'd start coming up with more Tab centric apps, not just blown up phone apps....

Shayd

Expert Member
The iPad is definitely more slick, but the 7" form factor is so much more convenient for reading, movies, music, etc.
Now if only they'd start coming up with more Tab centric apps, not just blown up phone apps....

Thats why you really should wait for Honeycomb based tablets...

Joe Average

The iPad is a Social and Multi-Media toy.

The author summed it up perfectly :
I don't have to rely on it exclusively for doing my day-to-day work - if I did I might find it a bit more frustrating.

That's why one needs to look at something like a 10" Win7 Pad : i.e.
http://www.tabletrevolution.org
if you are serious about doing business critical functions, i.e. RDC, Development and Technical Support while you on the move.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
If, by the end of this year, you're still using a laptop or a netbook for your mobile computing then you will very definitely be behind the times.

The smaller size doesn't bother me, however. I tend not to spend huge amounts of time browsing the web on the Galaxy Tab. I prefer my big-screen desktop PC for that.

Personally the Tab suits my lifestyle pretty well but then I don't actually want the Tab to be a laptop replacement.

um, these comments seem to contradict each other. There will always be room for desktops, laptops and netbooks. It all depends on what you want to do. They are each designed to do certain things easier. But I highly doubt that any of them will make the other obsolete. So you won't really be behind the times at all. It all depends on what you are trying to do as you say later in the article.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
um, these comments seem to contradict each other. There will always be room for desktops, laptops and netbooks. It all depends on what you want to do. They are each designed to do certain things easier. But I highly doubt that any of them will make the other obsolete. So you won't really be behind the times at all. It all depends on what you are trying to do as you say later in the article.

He's saying he's planning ahead, so he can be behind the times by the end of the year.

Novel

Thats why you really should wait for Honeycomb based tablets...

Yeah, I'm liking the Motorola Xoom at the moment. I read sumwhere that it will cost $800 (in the US anyway).

Last edited:

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Yeah, I'm liking the Motorola Xoom at the moment. I read sumwhere that it will cost $800.

$600 wifi only (same price as corresponding ipad) and $799 for 3G/4G enabled one ($70 more than 3G iPad, but far better specced)

BeVonk!

Executive Member
At $800 the Xoom will not make it in (or even to) our market. Personally, I'm waiting for the PlayBook (hoping like hell we'll get it here, and not nine months after it's debut). I do like the MacBook Air a lot also and may just make this jump instead of going for a tablet.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Too small/narrow and too expensive = fail.

The new iPad2 with camera's will leave it standing

killadoob

Honorary Master
I dunno hey, i think a blackberry seems better.

BBM free browsing, isn't blackberry bringing out a tab? free browsing and BBM FTW, add in some skype and we win business.

Pyro

Expert Member
Too small/narrow and too expensive = fail.

The new iPad2 with camera's will leave it standing

The physical size doesn't impair it as long as the resolution is high enough in my opinion.

The Galaxy Tab 2 will also hit the market soon, so saying that iPad2>Galaxy Tab 1 is silly.

And bigger-is-better fans would rejoice in it's 10.1" size.

Pyro

Expert Member
I dunno hey, i think a blackberry seems better.

BBM free browsing, isn't blackberry bringing out a tab? free browsing and BBM FTW, add in some skype and we win business.

The Playbook doesn't neccesarily have to share all the features of the Blackberry services. They might decide the expense of free surfing is excessive, especially since these tablets are primarily media consumption devices.

Brakanjan

Again with the same articles, just reworded.

How many Galaxy Tab articles should be shown here, let me guess 5 million, stop with the duplicate articles please.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I didn't want to ask that question, especially as the Tab 2 is imminent.

Still, it seems like neat gadget.

Yes....now the real question is what person in the right (sane) mind will commit for 36 months (contract) to a device that is due to be phased out...!

zamicro

Expert Member
I played with a Galaxy tab today. I really like the 7" format. For me the deal breaker is the price. Priced to high for my use.

Drone 1

I have the Samsung Galaxy S smartphone which I basically use at home as multimedia device (movies, reading eBooks and music).

Where the larger screen real estate is ok, I don't see the need to get the Tab simply because it would be having two of the same product with different sizes. Considering the prize, I would rather spend the money on a BlackBerry Playbook and use that for browsing.

At least I will be able to bridge it with my Bold 9700 and make use of the BIS service.

On the Galaxy S I noticed that I am running thru a data package at a tremendous speed. On the Tab I would be spending more i my opinion. So the Playbook does make more sense.

Untill then I am happy to read my eBooks on the Galaxy S.