Samsung Gear VR price for South Africa announced

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Will this be able to hook up to a PC. Don't see the point of having it linked to a phone..

schuits

Expert Member
Will this be able to hook up to a PC. Don't see the point of having it linked to a phone..
Without a phone it's just a plastic box basically. The phone has the display, the processing power, the movement sensors etc.
The idea of the Gear VR is one hinging around mobility. It's not supposed to compete with the Oculus Rift.

To answer your question though. It can be connected to your PC, but it's not perfect.
See here
http://intugame.com/get-intugame-vr/

I'm in 2 minds whether to get this. I have the cardboard which is a very 'meh' prototype.

Modeus

The article has no external links to anything official from Samsung, and no dates are mentioned so this could be months away.

I phoned a few Samsung stores (Samsung Eastgate and Samsung Sandton), nobody knows about this. Tweeted both Samsung SA accounts a week ago, not even a response. I sent Samsung an email asking for information about this 2 weeks ago, got a misinformed response that told me it was already in stores which it wasn't (despite me specifying that I was not interested in the innovator edition, that I was looking for the newly launched version).

Amazing that I am actively trying to get information on / buy a company's product and it's nothing but uphill. If you can't get your product to a willing consumer, and getting products to consumers if your core business... what are you doing?

I'm probably just old and grumpy and the above is all just fine so wake me up when someone at Samsung wants money.

cerebus

Honorary Master
$100 = R2000 these days, that's just painful. Still a very cool piece of kit and I'd get it if I had my S6 Edge still.

adamr

Executive Member
The article has no external links to anything official from Samsung, and no dates are mentioned so this could be months away.

I phoned a few Samsung stores (Samsung Eastgate and Samsung Sandton), nobody knows about this. Tweeted both Samsung SA accounts a week ago, not even a response. I sent Samsung an email asking for information about this 2 weeks ago, got a misinformed response that told me it was already in stores which it wasn't (despite me specifying that I was not interested in the innovator edition, that I was looking for the newly launched version).

Amazing that I am actively trying to get information on / buy a company's product and it's nothing but uphill. If you can't get your product to a willing consumer, and getting products to consumers if your core business... what are you doing?

I'm probably just old and grumpy and the above is all just fine so wake me up when someone at Samsung wants money.
No this is out and available in stores.give clearwater mall Samsung concept store a call.

They had 10 in stock day before. And 4 yesterday. But when u chat to them refer to it as "VR lite". That is how it is captured on thir system

Vegeta

Executive Member
Maybe my phone's ppi was crappy but I could see all the disgusting pixels with my Google cardboard. It was a nightmare.

And I have shaky-cam so so much!

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Without a phone it's just a plastic box basically. The phone has the display, the processing power, the movement sensors etc.
The idea of the Gear VR is one hinging around mobility. It's not supposed to compete with the Oculus Rift.

To answer your question though. It can be connected to your PC, but it's not perfect.
See here
http://intugame.com/get-intugame-vr/

I'm in 2 minds whether to get this. I have the cardboard which is a very 'meh' prototype.
Expensive box then. Thought this product actually had its own screen.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Rather pay R100 for cardboard or a bit more for a generic plastic holder.

schuits

Expert Member
Rather pay R100 for cardboard or a bit more for a generic plastic holder.
Just wish the GearVR apps worked with the Cardboard. I managed to get the software onto my phone, but you can't start the Cinema or anything if the app can't find the NFC of the GearVR it seems.
Very sneaky of samsung me thinks.

kianm

Honorary Master
Not too interesting because of the limited compatibility

Pitbull

Verboten
I will only buy VR if there are some nice PRON in VR.

Other wise... just a gimmick :p

cerebus

Honorary Master
Expensive box then. Thought this product actually had its own screen.
It has lenses that create the 3d effect, which all VR goggles have, it has a much higher build quality than Cardboard with excellent fit, and it has a touch control on the side. Cardboard is cool but it's deliberately entry level, and Gear VR is closer to a proper VR experience.

Modeus

No this is out and available in stores.give clearwater mall Samsung concept store a call.

They had 10 in stock day before. And 4 yesterday. But when u chat to them refer to it as "VR lite". That is how it is captured on thir system
Yep, you were right. I collected mine a few hours ago, thanks for the heads up Adamr.