Samsung have sold almost double the amount of smartphones than Apple

F

Fudzy

Nice. That figure will probably change when the iPhone 5 is out.

Sent from my i9300 using Chrome.

Ry4n

Apple need to do something about their insane margins(profits) they milk their fans and they come back for more retarded.

entrepr

Expert Member
Samsung sells more, but their sales are based on a range of smartphones. Apple has one model (with small variants) and they still sell 50%, and they make a ton more money from the istore.

I'm not sure if the iphone is overpriced as I don't have one, but I do know the ipad is very competitively priced for what one gets.

drukkie

Expert Member
Samsung sells more, but their sales are based on a range of smartphones. Apple has one model (with small variants) and they still sell 50%, and they make a ton more money from the istore.

does it matter?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Samsung 35% ... Apple 18%. I'm sure that a model like the S3 (S2 before that) will make up about 18% of Samsung sales. Would like to see 4S sales vs S3 sales ... compare Apples with "apples".

R13...

Honorary Master
Samsung 35% ... Apple 18%. I'm sure that a model like the S3 (S2 before that) will make up about 18% of Samsung sales. Would like to see 4S sales vs S3 sales ... compare Apples with "apples".
Some suggest Apple sold 25m of the 4s in the last quarters. There are also some suggestions the figure includes old models. On the other hand goodluck finding figures for what numbers Samsung sold at any time.

cerebus

Honorary Master

Estimated 20million units in 6 months, quite impressive.

Analysts are forecasting 263million iPhone5 sales which seems outrageously high to me.

Hard numbers on total 4S sales are very hard to come by. Common sense suggests that it has sold far more units than S3 due to its longer time on the market and preeminence on carrier figures. This study suggests 89% of Apple phone sales are 4S but I can't figure out what the total numbers are to extract hard data.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
One must also keep in mind that the many different flavours of the Samsung Galaxy series offered dilute their sales numbers for each device. One could only really compare apples with apples if Samsung, like Apple, had one device on offer (like the S3) ... or Apple diluted it's one offer with a whole range of devices. Very difficult therefore to truly compare the two.

cerebus

Honorary Master
One must also keep in mind that the many different flavours of the Samsung Galaxy series offered dilute their sales numbers for each device. One could only really compare apples with apples if Samsung, like Apple, had one device on offer (like the S3) ... or Apple diluted it's one offer with a whole range of devices. Very difficult therefore to truly compare the two.

Yes that's the problem.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The customer that wants a high-end Samsung device in the league of the iPhone has a choice between the S3 and the Note. Most will go for the S3 but many do go for the Note despite its size. Adding sales figures for those two up could be more of an indication of how apples vs "apples" compare.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master

I'm not sure if the iphone is overpriced as I don't have one, but I do know the ipad is very competitively priced for what one gets.

Samsung chose to cater for a larger market by having a range of products to shose from. Thay also chose android to enable users to customise their phones to a large extent. Apple chose to cater for one type of customer and have a closed operating system with which they tell you how you are allowed to operate your own device. I will be flamed for this, but I reckon that if Apple offered less expensive phones, any other manufacturer would struggle to keep uip with them.

Both the iPhone and iPad is priced similar to other manufacturers as the devices are on similar par.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I will be flamed for this, but I reckon that if Apple offered less expensive phones, any other manufacturer would struggle to keep uip with them.

Will have a massive impact - I've always said that (and hoped the Nano phone would become a reality) - but it will also dilute sales so it is not as simple as 1+1 = 2.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Samsung chose to cater for a larger market by having a range of products to shose from. Thay also chose android to enable users to customise their phones to a large extent. Apple chose to cater for one type of customer and have a closed operating system with which they tell you how you are allowed to operate your own device. I will be flamed for this, but I reckon that if Apple offered less expensive phones, any other manufacturer would struggle to keep uip with them.

In the US they do. The iPhone 3GS is still hugely popular over there @ $99. They've even elected to support it in IOS6. I wonder what they'll do when the iPhone5 gets released - maybe shift the tier down another notch: free 3GS, $99 iPhone4, $200 iPhone 4S, $300 iPhone5 would fill out there product line quite decisively.

Of course these days you can now get a Motorola Atrix HD in the US for $99. That does make the 3GS look quite puny by comparison.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep

Because the bottom line isn't what is important to a company? Samsung profits far more on phone sales than Apple, that is not difficult to compare.

greg0205

Honorary Master
I'd also love to see iPhone 4/4S vs. SGS2/3 (and Note) head-to-head numbers and I tend to agree with OGroteKoning... An "entry" level iPhone, not a two or three year old 3GS, would be trouble for a lot of the other manufacturers. Have to say I'm also quite interested to see what happens in the 7" tablet sector if Apple do release their rumored iPad mini.