Samsung i600 modem not detected in Vista

Gravil

Hi,

Could someone please try help me with this Samsung i600 modem problem?

I recently had to buy a new HP laptop which has Vista Home Pro on it. When I try and connect my i600 to the laptop via usb firstly Window Mobile Desktop Connect does not even detect the phone and secondly I cannot get the phone to connect to the internet as a modem. My previous laptop with Vista Home Basic worked fine. I'm a Vodacom subscriber and currently have an ad hoc data bundle I won't get through browsing on my phone.

The situation so far:

• my phone has been upgraded to WM6
  • WMDC has been updated
  • Samsung CDMA drivers have been installed but modem not detected in vista
  • I have done a hard reset on the phone
  • I have uninstalled the Windows Remote Connect driver and reinstalled
  • I have disable all firewalls
  • I have experimented with the phone settings to a certain degree
  • I have tried to set up an internet connection but is of no use if the modem is not detected

I suspect the main problem lies in the fact that I cannot get Vista to see the device as a modem and thus install the modem drivers.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Am I missing a trick here?

Tun@

Expert Member
Like IRG suggests OR
You can create a connection thru Samsung PC Studio or Samsung NEW PC studio.Not too sure about the windows mobile OS models tho.

Gravil

IRG: I've installed the updated WMDC (got the acronym wrong above)

Tun@: I'll install PC Studio and see what happens, will post the results.

Thanks.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
When I updated the firmware on my wife's Omnia, there is a setting to disable the USB read mode to a port. maybe it's something like that. Have you checked the USB settings in WMDC? Or even more simple, is your USB cable not damaged?

Gravil

WMDC only offers limited and high level options for USB connections. I haven't come across a setting to disable the read mode to a port on the phone. However, prior to the hard reset, I had not adjusted any of the settings on the phone (these settings worked fine with the previous Vista laptop). I would assume the cable is not damaged, Vista does play the connection sound when the phone is plugged in and the device is shown in device manager. Hopefully the installation of PC Studio will rectify the problem, I always thought that PC Studio was just a fancy GUI for managing certain aspects of the phone and that stand alone drivers managed USB connections. I have managed to download it and will install tonight and see what happens.

Gravil

Last night I installed Samsung PC studio. No luck.

Now I'm suspecting that it is a communication/network problem between phone and the laptop. Something must be blocking communication through the relevant ports. I've disabled Windows Firewall and deleted Norton 360 (came with the laptop, don't need it). No luck.

I've checked on the net all the services that are needed for the phone to communicate with WMDC. All are running, still no luck.

The next step I guess is to disable services or processes until something gives, trial by elimination.

Is there not an easier way to determine what might be blocking ports?