Samsung Note 4 - HIT & RUN ! Need your considered opinions now please ?

AlexFl

Hi all,

:mad:

Was being driven around by my 77 year old mom yesterday (joy! :sick:). Stopped in congested traffic outside the shopping centre, she opened the passenger window (my window) to let out the heat from being parked. My mom is ultra security conscious so it's probably a habit not to open her own window but that of the (usually) vacant passenger seat. I was on Waze on my Samsung Note 4 (11/12/13months into a 2yr MTNChoice500m contract) at that point trying to fathom the way to our next destination (in Fordsburg - an area unknown). Next thing a hand from behind my line of site reached in and my phone was gone.

I used the phone for everything personal and GPS (financial consultant - spend a lot of time juggling calls/correspondence whilst on the road). My work MS Exchange deems Android insufficiently secure so to sync my work MS Outlook (calendar, email, tasks), they required a BlackBerry emulator on the Android Note 4 which I opted to do without as it played havoc with the GPS, incoming calls, etc. Instead I bought a 2nd hand Wi-Fi only Dell 8", 32MB Win 10 tab that syncs ok (just) with the basics at my work. Bit of a pain as between work's Win laptop, personal Win tab (used for syncing with work), stolen personal Android cell and aged personal Unix laptop - I can only access one or two of my 3 profiles (diaries, etc.) per device...

On the Note 4: I'm semi tech-savvy and prefer higher end devices, I'm almost inclined to say that I preferred my Note 2 more than my Note 4 (maybe the Note 4's improvements were too negligible), it had a Samsung flip cover on it (stock, without window) and a (fast?) 64GB SD card in it (music, photos, media). I hardly ever used the stylus on either the Note 2 or Note 4 but have an iBolt Car Dock (with a bad connection somewhere in the 12V charging wire from the day of import) that worked with both Notes.

I've never lost a cell phone (through damage, misplacement, theft or otherwise). I need to replace the stolen cell phone and have no back-up devices available to me...

General points: Would prefer something that can run all 3 of my profiles. Am not enjoying Win 10 on the Dell 8" tab. The Note 4 battery wasn't always getting me through a work day after taking it off a full night charge (hot-spot for Dell tab, many calls, GPS navigation, diaries, emails, WhatsApps, etc.). I have big hands but the Note 4 was a touch too big for me and I got frustrated with this impracticality (I'm usually using it on the run with hands full...).

1) I used to have the Note 4 (under) insured at appr. R9k through my household All Risk cover. Not sure if I cancelled the cell phone cover earlier in the year though due to budget constraints (have emailed query to insurers already but will only hear back from them tomorrow). I'm with MTN SP (corporate client thus receive "monthly service fee discount").

What are my best options to replace the phone (a) if insurance pays out R9k minus minus minus..., or (b) if the insurance doesn't cover the phone?

Would I be able to settle the balance of the device's cost with MTN and then enter into an upgrade for a new 2yr contract? Should I buy a new or 2nd hand cellphone cash with the insurance settlement?

2) I've researched the BlackBerry Priv a bit this morning. Nice device. Mixed reviews. Battery life concerns. High cost - price increasing with falling SA Rand. Seems too expensive (for me and for what you're getting).

Should I consider an iOS device (heck, why not add one more platform to the above mess)? I hate though that they use proprietary plugs (would need to throw the iBolt car charging dock out).

3) If cash, where to shop for best new and (faultless, risk-free, urgent) 2nd hand deals?

4) The phone wasn't locked at time of theft but is generally unlocked with my fingerprint. Upon reporting the theft, MTN gave me an ITC number and then confirmed that the handset and sim had been blocked. I've since obtained a case number with these details at SAPS. My bank account is in intact this morning. Is there anything else I should concern myself with? (Google, Facebook, etc.).

Guys, I know it's an essay and a mouth full that I've written and I apologise profusely for same but we all know that I'm NOT going to get the quality inputs you could render from the average in-store tw*t. I don't have the luxury of too much time (my last 24 month contract extension took 5 months worth of correcting with MTN - only in part due to the strike they had at the time).

Inputs most highly appreciated.

Have a great Sunday y'all (and consider chaining your phones to your wrist :crylaugh:)
Alex

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Sorry for your loss and hopefully it was still specified on your policy.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Change your Google passwords and passwords for any service you had on the phone.

Did you try locating the phone with Android device manager?

Just buy another phone from gumtree, but if you're not savvy you could end up transferring cash to a Nigerian scammer and waiting for a phone that will never arrive. If you know good sense and how to keep safe there are actually many honest sellers on Gumtree though. CARBONITE.CO.ZA is a safe bet if the person has a high itrader.

I'm actually sitting with an unused bb priv right now since I'm using an s7 edge so pm me if you're interested I could sell it to you.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Good spec phones from zasttra.com . Come with local 12 month warrantees. I'm partial to Doogee brand of phones. My current phone (DG700) is running dual sims and I get 3 full days on the battery before hitting the 15% warning.

AlexFl

Hey guys. Thanks and sorry for alow response from my end. @falcon786 - will be sure to check Carbonite and possibly PM you re Priv once insurance reverts to me. @Dariyfarmer - will Google these later. Thanks

AlexFl

@Falcon786. Insurance confirmed claim but won't pay out cash. Seems they'll only replace handset (within price range of cover).