Samsung NX10 : APS-C without dSLR hassle

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
EDIT : Typo in topic - should be WITHOUT not withour.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx10/

Seems like an awesome camera that will not make that annoying SLR noise when taking pictures and it has h.264 movie recording ! Sucks that the lens comes off but perhaps soon enough we will have regular ultra zoom cameras with large sized sensors in them. Then there will be very little need to get a SLR camera in most cases.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That looks pretty interesting - with the limited lens selection available though I'd be more tempted by the micro four thirds (provided they can sort out the slow focusing etc).

At least they're getting closer to a time that we'll be able to take decent photos with a camera that will fit in our pocket.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Yeah, the lens range is quite limited. What I would love is a normal straight forward ultrazoom like the Canon Sx1 or Kodak Z980 equipped with a large sensor (even four thirds will do). That way you don't have to worry about lenses and you get excellent low light performance. Also noticed the Samsung records mono sound in movie mode - unlike most Canons and the Z980.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
You realise that with a APC-C size sensor, you're looking at an ultra-zoom lens that's just as big as the ones for APC-C DSLRs

And then you're stuck with a electronic viewfinder. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
EVF and LCD liveviews are the digital way of doing digital photography. Using a noise making mirror on a hinge and piece of glass is a bit too oldschool for me.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I havent come across a LCD viewfinder yet that I felt showed the same through-the-lens quality image the old dslr mirror does but I'm not sure it's a long way off.

I'd be happy to see smaller form factor cameras that offer the same specs - or better - as the dslr.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Agreed - a pro like yourself would feel more at home with the speed (of light) and flexibility you get from SLR.

But is very nice that cheaper cameras are now getting larger sensors. It makes little sense to me adding pixels if you are going beyond 40 MP/cm².

swift412

Expert Member
You realise that with a APC-C size sensor, you're looking at an ultra-zoom lens that's just as big as the ones for APC-C DSLRs

And then you're stuck with a electronic viewfinder. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

If the camera doesn't need a mirror between the lens and the sensor, doesn't that mean that, since the lens is closer to the sensor, it doesn't have to be as big?

Below is a size comparison between the Canon EF 35mm ƒ/1.4 and the Voigtländer Nokton 35mm ƒ/1.4; the size difference is almost comical when one considers that both cover a 24x36mm frame.

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 vs Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.4

(Images to scale. The Canon ($1,350) is 3.1" diameter x 3.4" long; the Nokton ($560) is 2.2" diameter x 1.1" long. Weight: Canon, 1.28 lbs. / 580 g; Voigtländer, 7 oz. / 200 g.)
Source: http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...-compact-fullframe-digital-system-camera.html

I'd love to have a Sigma DP-1: It's a compact, with a fixed 28mm equiv. lens and an APS-C sized sensor.

Just checked and I see the Micro Four-thirds system unfortunately isn't open standard. Personally I'd still choose one of the those micro 4/3 cameras like the Panasonic G(H)1 or Olympus EP-2 over that Samsung NX10. The NX10 is considerably smaller, but just not small enough.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
If the camera doesn't need a mirror between the lens and the sensor, doesn't that mean that, since the lens is closer to the sensor, it doesn't have to be as big?

I'm not sure about that. Focal length is still focal length.

Below is a size comparison between the Canon EF 35mm ƒ/1.4 and the Voigtländer Nokton 35mm ƒ/1.4; the size difference is almost comical when one considers that both cover a 24x36mm frame.

I'd be interested to see how those two lenses compare in terms of distortions. The vast majority of the bulk in that Canon lens is made up of extra elements to roll out barrel/pincushion distortions, CA, vignetting, etc.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'd love to have a Sigma DP-1: It's a compact, with a fixed 28mm equiv. lens and an APS-C sized sensor.
The Foveon sensor is smaller than the APS-C - closer to the four thirds size. That fixed lens ruins it for me though.