Samsung Pay Experience in South Africa

ECHLN

I thought it would be helpful to describe my experience with Samsung Pay so far. This might be helpful to those who are thinking of giving it a try or need clarity on some things.

Also feel free to comment with your experiences and tips.

First things first, my bank is FNB so I got a Absa Cheque Account and linked my card without an issue. I am also using a Note8. Now here are the takeaways from my almost card free life since the introduction of Samsung Pay.
  • You can't use it at MyCiti top up points or Gautrain. They both use the chip method and in most cases, you need to give them your card.
  • It works on old Nedbank speed points but you have to tap your phone before they put in the amount. You did then need to fill in missing digits from your virtual card number shown in Samsung Pay. This is always the case with Nedbank speed points in my experience.
  • When you tap, make sure you say "cheque" if you have a cheque account on Absa. If will say error if they default or select "savings". I made the mistake on Spar's new FNB terminals in Kloof, Cape Town.
  • It doesn't work at Woolies for me. I have a feeling it's because I didn't say "cheque" because I learnt that much later (you don't have to say cheque with a cheque account on FNB). Has anyone gotten a successful transaction there? They do have some old looking speed points.
  • It works everywhere else. McDonald's, Clicks, Pick n Pay, the random store that somehow has a speed point but makes an amazing chow mein.

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Thanks keep us posted. I'm seriously considering getting a Samsung as my daily driver just for Samsung Pay.

ECHLN

Thanks keep us posted. I'm seriously considering getting a Samsung as my daily driver just for Samsung Pay.
Personally, I think it's worth it. It's so convenient and safe. Plus, the reactions to it working at a place without NFC is priceless.

justplain

Expert Member
Yip, used it a few times now.
Works well where supported by the POS (point of sale)
Used it at PNP and Food lovers.
IT didnt work at Clicks (they didnt have tap to pay POS) although it is supposed to work on MST devices.
I had to use my chip and pin credit card.
On the whole, it works really well. Be aware that not all stores have the tap to pay card readers and you may come up short.
For now, I'll carry my card with me until tap to pay is pretty much the default everywhere.

ECHLN

Yip, used it a few times now.
Works well where supported by the POS (point of sale)
Used it at PNP and Food lovers.
IT didnt work at Clicks (they didnt have tap to pay POS) although it is supposed to work on MST devices.
I had to use my chip and pin credit card.
On the whole, it works really well. Be aware that not all stores have the tap to pay card readers and you may come up short.
For now, I'll carry my card with me until tap to pay is pretty much the default everywhere.
You do know that Samsung Pay works at placed with or without tap and pay? Just like how I used it at Clicks with no issue and places that use old terminals without tap and pay/NFC. What phone are you using?

Samsung Pay has both NFC and MST so it works basically anywhere. More places that MasterPass or FNB Pay.

justplain

Expert Member
S8. It didnt work with the ABSA POS. (non tap and pay)
Havent had the need to try anywhere else yet. I'll try it when I next need to buy something.

You do know that Samsung Pay works at placed with or without tap and pay? Just like how I used it at Clicks with no issue and places that use old terminals without tap and pay/NFC. What phone are you using?

Samsung Pay has both NFC and MST so it works basically anywhere. More places that MasterPass or FNB Pay.

ECHLN

S8. It didnt work with the ABSA POS. (non tap and pay)
Havent had the need to try anywhere else yet. I'll try it when I next need to buy something.
Alright. I suspect it's because you didn't state you whether you are using cheque or savings. I made the mistake once.

justplain

Expert Member
Alright. I suspect it's because you didn't state you whether you are using cheque or savings. I made the mistake once.
The POS displayed an error. DIdnt get the option to choose cheque/savings etc.
No worry though.
Tech teething problems :)

AntennaMan

Expert Member
I also had an issue using MST with an ABSA branded POS. And I'm using my Standard Bank card.

There might be teething issues with the older ABSA machines. Older Nedbank machines wors fine, s described above. Non Tap and Pay FNB machines work well. Sometime the little stand the POS machines rests on gets in the way.

ThatOtherDude

I have a dual SIM S8 that's been flashed many times it now suffers from MPD.
multiple phone disorder.

When I crank up Samsung Pay I get the "hey buddy, you installed unauthorized software on this device. Contact a Samsung repair center and they'll charge you 1/7th of what Apple would have charged you. Have a nice day"

I purchased the phone in Hong Kong.

take a wild guess which Samsung repair center number they route me to?

Yup.

Hong Kong.

lolz.

ryan10

Samsung Pay doesn't work on my Note8 from Vodacom, standard firmware with XFE CSC

Works on my wife's Note8 from Telkom, standard firmware with XFA CSC.

Been trying to figure out a way to get mine working...

ECHLN

Samsung Pay doesn't work on my Note8 from Vodacom, standard firmware with XFE CSC

Works on my wife's Note8 from Telkom, standard firmware with XFA CSC.

Been trying to figure out a way to get mine working...
Update your phone to the latest OS. It could be that. If not, it means your phone is detecting the wrong CSC.

Awesum

Expert Member
Not yet on my end. I don't go to Mugg n Bean or Discem in the first place. I also haven't been to the movies in a while.
I've used it at PicknPay and it worked, but they scanned the code. 1 less card to carry.

Friggs

I would love to use this as the idea of ending up card free really appeals to me but... I'm with FNB and don't have ABSA or Std Bank accounts. I wish they would hurry up and get FNB on board - yes FNB has tap to pay inside the app but I find it rather cumbersome and would like to try the Samsung Pay.

ECHLN

I would love to use this as the idea of ending up card free really appeals to me but... I'm with FNB and don't have ABSA or Std Bank accounts. I wish they would hurry up and get FNB on board - yes FNB has tap to pay inside the app but I find it rather cumbersome and would like to try the Samsung Pay.
You don't have to be in the app to use FNB Pay. You can change how it works in the FNB settings. I had it set to if I unlock my phone, I just tap the phone without opening or doing anything.

vorman

Expert Member
You don't have to be in the app to use FNB Pay. You can change how it works in the FNB settings. I had it set to if I unlock my phone, I just tap the phone without opening or doing anything.
Wait, it works on speedpoints that are not NFC enabled? Do you just touch the phone or 'swipe' on the speedpoint?
I didnt bother using it because I thought it only works at NFC enabled speedpoints, and so my FNB app does the same.

ECHLN

Wait, it works on speedpoints that are not NFC enabled? Do you just touch the phone or 'swipe' on the speedpoint?
I didnt bother using it because I thought it only works at NFC enabled speedpoints, and so my FNB app does the same.
No. NFC only.

On a separate note, there's a bank in the US that partnered with Samsung to allow their banking app to use NFC and MST so technically, it is possible for FNB Pay to support it in the future.