Samsung Pay Experience in South Africa

ECHLN

Hi all, a question please .....

I am considering buying a Samsung A8 (2018) Dual Sim from a local supplier, they say it is a"special import" - I do understand what that means .......

The phone does however tick all of my requirements, just one concern - I would like to use Samsung Pay, however I did read this on the Samsung SA website under the FAQ "Only South African models will be supported (XFA / XFV SKU Codes) "

I'm assuming that the phone will ship with another version of the firmware other than that which is stated above.

Does this mean that I will need to flash local firmware ? Or have other users with "imported phones " managed with stock firmware that came installed on their phones ?
If the phone doesn't use a CSC that include XFV, XFA, XFE etc., it won't work. For example, Vietnam is in the same CSC code as South Africa so you can flash local firmware and use Samsung Pay with no issues. I could be wrong but never buy a phone from outside your country if you intend on using region locked services like Samsung Pay.

H3ro

My brother-in-law bought a S10 outside RSA, where exactly I cannot recall. It appears to be Chinese/Japanese version from the rewards program on his Samsung Pay. He has not flashed local firmware (to be honest I'm not clued up about the tech behind it but he is using the phone as he bought it). He loaded his FNB credit card on Samsung Pay and it works fine so far for all purchases he made.

ECHLN

Made my first few purchases on Discovery Bank. Loving the bank so far. I'll still be keeping my FNB Credit though.702977

signates

Executive Member
Been using my galaxy gear s3 watch exclusively for the last week and it's working flawlessly for NFC and MST payments. Only had one failure out of more than 10 successful payments.

nuyork

Expert Member
This weekend went to Fourways Mall and went to the new section where there is very little to no cellphone signal (Vodacom) at all. I constantly had 1 bar of LTE signal, no 3G signal and 1 bar of 2G in the new section. Guess Vodacom are still putting up there indoor antennas for the new section of the mall.

So I saw that there was very little signal so thought I'd better just test Samsung Pay before I enter a store and confirmed that it was working and the pay process would start. Looks like it was still working fine.

Then I when to pay for the item there was like no signal at the cashier, and when I went to pay for the item, I opened up Samsung Pay again, but it did not want to start the pay process. I tried Iris, did not want to scan my eyes, then tried Pin, that also did not want to allow me to enter the pin, and fingerprint also did not work either. It was as if the payment process just hung and did not want to allow payments. Even if I closed Samsung Pay completely and opened it again, still did not want to start the payment process. I even put my phone into airplane mode, and still the payment process did not want to start.

I thought Samsung Pay allowed you to process up to 10 payments without having any cellphone signal? And would process the payments once signal was restored?

Once I left the store and visited somewhere else and saw that proper cellphone signal had returned, I tired to open SamsungPay and start a payment and everything was working again.

Anyone else experience this before?

ECHLN

This weekend went to Fourways Mall and went to the new section where there is very little to no cellphone signal (Vodacom) at all. I constantly had 1 bar of LTE signal, no 3G signal and 1 bar of 2G in the new section. Guess Vodacom are still putting up there indoor antennas for the new section of the mall.

So I saw that there was very little signal so thought I'd better just test Samsung Pay before I enter a store and confirmed that it was working and the pay process would start. Looks like it was still working fine.

Then I when to pay for the item there was like no signal at the cashier, and when I went to pay for the item, I opened up Samsung Pay again, but it did not want to start the pay process. I tried Iris, did not want to scan my eyes, then tried Pin, that also did not want to allow me to enter the pin, and fingerprint also did not work either. It was as if the payment process just hung and did not want to allow payments. Even if I closed Samsung Pay completely and opened it again, still did not want to start the payment process. I even put my phone into airplane mode, and still the payment process did not want to start.

I thought Samsung Pay allowed you to process up to 10 payments without having any cellphone signal? And would process the payments once signal was restored?

Once I left the store and visited somewhere else and saw that proper cellphone signal had returned, I tired to open SamsungPay and start a payment and everything was working again.

Anyone else experience this before?
This happened to me once last year. I think it's when you have two transactions that are made in a short time. It's never happened again before but suspect it's that.

nuyork

Expert Member
I've done it like that before where I have started the payment process twice before, even three times, and it hasn't locked up like that before.

I'm just guessing that it was due to the poor signal and it did not want to start.

nuyork

Expert Member
Now that the Post Office accepts credit cards for paying for your license disc, I thought I'd take a chance and try Samsung Pay. I brought my card and cash just in case they gave me hassles.

I asked to pay with a credit card and he said fine you can. They have one of those machines where the keypad is separated from the actual machine and the keypad only has a swipe or insert card option and I thought OK, this might not actually work. There were no NFC signs and wasn't sure if MST would work. He was processing the payment and asked me to insert my card or swipe to start the transaction, I told him that I'm paying with my phone, and he was like we don't do that here, it won't work and asked me to insert my card again. I told him all my cards are on my phone, I don't have physical cards. He told me then it won't work here and they don't do "that" here and I must go to the ATM to draw money. I was about to take my card out of my pocket to just pay and get out of there, but persisted.

I asked him nicely again to please try and process the payment, so that I can pay. He argued with me for a few seconds and then decided to start the transaction. The screen on the keypad changed from Start Transaction to Swipe Card, and then I put my phone up to the machine and the process started and asked for my PIN and the transaction was successful. The guy was so shocked that it actually worked that he shook my hand under the glass separator and thanked me for teaching him something new. He was quite impressed. And a few people behind me in the que also asked me what app is that, and I told them it's Samsung Pay.

Love that I still get moments like this. Sometimes you've just keep asking them to try until they eventually try.

ECHLN

Now that the Post Office accepts credit cards for paying for your license disc, I thought I'd take a chance and try Samsung Pay. I brought my card and cash just in case they gave me hassles.

I asked to pay with a credit card and he said fine you can. They have one of those machines where the keypad is separated from the actual machine and the keypad only has a swipe or insert card option and I thought OK, this might not actually work. There were no NFC signs and wasn't sure if MST would work. He was processing the payment and asked me to insert my card or swipe to start the transaction, I told him that I'm paying with my phone, and he was like we don't do that here, it won't work and asked me to insert my card again. I told him all my cards are on my phone, I don't have physical cards. He told me then it won't work here and they don't do "that" here and I must go to the ATM to draw money. I was about to take my card out of my pocket to just pay and get out of there, but persisted.

I asked him nicely again to please try and process the payment, so that I can pay. He argued with me for a few seconds and then decided to start the transaction. The screen on the keypad changed from Start Transaction to Swipe Card, and then I put my phone up to the machine and the process started and asked for my PIN and the transaction was successful. The guy was so shocked that it actually worked that he shook my hand under the glass separator and thanked me for teaching him something new. He was quite impressed. And a few people behind me in the que also asked me what app is that, and I told them it's Samsung Pay.

Love that I still get moments like this. Sometimes you've just keep asking them to try until they eventually try.
Moments like those are priceless. I miss how often it used to surprise people but now the stores I go to, its no longer a surprise. Its a surprise when there is those few occasions I use cash for work purchases.

Charly

Wow that's awesome. I was actually planning on trying that today but didn't get to it. I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow. I'm not sure how persistent the teller will allow me to be before refusing.

nuyork

Expert Member
Wow that's awesome. I was actually planning on trying that today but didn't get to it. I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow. I'm not sure how persistent the teller will allow me to be before refusing.
Just ask the teller nicely that you would like Samsung Pay and tap the card and then to try and ask them to start the sale transaction so that the machine shows swipe card, then when the swipe card comes up, you can start Samsung Pay and put your phone up to the machine.

It also depends on what type of machine they are using, as mine was just a keypad that was seperated from the main machine. If it's a free standing machine, to start a "sale" you push the yellow button, and then 1-Sale, and then enter your amount and continue as normal.

A lot of shops I've been to who have an NFC enabled device, still don't know how to start a sale process without inserting a card by pushing the yellow button first, they always ask for the card to be inserted, even though the machine has a NFC logo on it.

Charly

Thanks a lot. I ended up not needing to ask her.

--------------------------------

I just got back from going to pay for my licences at the post office. They had the common Verifone VX820 where the customer typically handles the whole transaction.

When it said "please swipe card" I just tapped with my card to the card reader. I put in my pin with no issues.

I don't know if she even saw me tap as her view behind the glass of the card machine is obstructed by her PC monitor and I had my card out as if I was going to swipe. I know it's not convenient but I used SPay in this situation more as an experiment (and for competition entries, lol) than for the sake of convenience. She then asked me to hand over my card. I normally don't carry that card on me but I thought I should rather be safe than sorry especially when dealing with a bureaucratic behind-the-times company. Credit to them for making an effort to accept cards and having up-to-date card machines.

She had to enter all the card's details into the eNatis system. Perhaps it's got to do with the fact that it's a credit cards and they're trying to avoid the situation where motorists later go and dispute the charge at their bank. Before proceeding with the transaction she asked if it was a credit or debit card but I still had to make that selection when using the terminal.

Anyways, the system accepted the information despite the fact that the card numbers aren't the same. I can't imagine how things would have gone if I didn't have my card on me and I had to pass her my phone to look at my "card".

Here's to the hope that eNatis follows the correct standards when it comes to storing credit card details and that their system is air-tight.

Charly

Has anyone ever tried to use SPay to pay for fuel? I can imagine that's something they wouldn't be keen on.

signates

Executive Member
The petrol attendants.

Don't you have to explain the whole story each time? What do they normally say?
Can't speak for other petrol stations but all the Engen stations have fnb terminals with NFC enabled. They just give me the machine and I tap my phone, enter the pin and hand it back to them. Never had them asking me anything about it. Only time I had to explain was about 4 months ago but I think they are now aware of tap to pay using a phone or card.

Charly

Can't speak for other petrol stations but all the Engen stations have fnb terminals with NFC enabled. They just give me the machine and I tap my phone, enter the pin and hand it back to them. Never had them asking me anything about it. Only time I had to explain was about 4 months ago but I think they are now aware of tap to pay using a phone or card.
Ah thanks. I go to Shell. I always pass my card over to them to do the sale so I've never really taken note of if their machine is even NFC-enabled.