Samsung Pay Experience in South Africa

ECHLN

Woolworths in Kloof Street, Cape Town allows tap and pay at terminal 2. They said they testing the idea for now.

ECHLN

Discovery Bank is now supported on Samsung Pay. This is strange because only iOS users have access to Discovery Bank at the moment. Screenshot_20190325-142232_Samsung Internet.jpg

nuyork

Expert Member
Woolworths Plattekloof. Their tap and go is not active yet.
That's what the Woolworths (Dainfern Square) cashier said to me as well. But I even tried MST and it did not work. I used my physical card. She said they still needed to upgrade their machines for tap and go.

ECHLN

That's what the Woolworths (Dainfern Square) cashier said to me as well. But I even tried MST and it did not work. I used my physical card. She said they still needed to upgrade their machines for tap and go.
I have a feeling that their machines look out for NFC and then block out purchases when it senses it. I had the same issue at 2 different Woolies now. I don't shop at Woolies anymore because I never bring my card and I won't bring it for one store.

werny

Expert Member
Strange, I paid with NFC just fine at Woolworths Tygervalley, maybe just a slow upgrade process on their side.

H3ro

So I decided to change my region to activate the MST feature. Note: you will lose access to local competitions and deals.

I think the reason for not activating it here is due to the chip and pin cards we use.
In the US, their machines allow you to just swipe, no pin. Ours ask you to enter a pin. I guess this will also differ between devices though.

Here is my experience:
Changed region last night

Tried MST payment this morning at engen, tapped here previously and it worked.
Cashier asked for last 4 digits, gave the digital card details from the watch and the payment went through. Tap and go much easier as no digits required.

I then went to my local checkers who still have the old devices, no NFC capability. I used MST and the cashier asked for card type: cheque, savings or credit. I said credit and the payment declined. Some error of the screen.
Tried again, just said authorising and then declined. Next transaction, same pos, different card on Samsung pay: said authorising then declined with no other info. Paid with physical cards.

When I got home, I saw this sms from FNB:
"FNB - A security check is required when a chip card is swiped. Please request the merchant to call 0875759413. Card ..9015. 17MAR 09:44"

Also the first transaction that went through was for R80. The subsequent two were just shy of R2k.

Hope this helps us to figure out where it works.
MST was a big drawcard when I bought the watch. So I was disappointed when it launched with only NFC, still useful though not reliable enough to leave your wallet at home.
I had a similar experience. Tried a different Checkers with MST (Cape Gate Mall) and had the similar issue, it asked for card type, random card numbers (I used virtual card numbers), then CVV (this made me think perhaps I should have used physical card detail), got declined. I was not prepared to try again.

It also did not work at Builders Warehouse Cape Gate, then I used chip card and all good.

I'm using Pay on a S9. I must agree, it is definitely not reliable enough to leave your wallet at home, pity. That said, it is still quite decent, could have been worse. Very convenient and easy.

signates

Expert Member
So I decided to change my region to activate the MST feature. Note: you will lose access to local competitions and deals.
I also changed the region on my Gear S3 and noticed today that Samsung Rewards are now active on the watch app. Not sure if I'll be able to redeem my points earned. Screenshot_20190326-090726_Samsung%20Pay%20(Watch%20plug-in).jpeg Screenshot_20190326-090754_Samsung%20Pay%20(Watch%20plug-in).jpeg

ECHLN

I had a similar experience. Tried a different Checkers with MST (Cape Gate Mall) and had the similar issue, it asked for card type, random card numbers (I used virtual card numbers), then CVV (this made me think perhaps I should have used physical card detail), got declined. I was not prepared to try again.

It also did not work at Builders Warehouse Cape Gate, then I used chip card and all good.

I'm using Pay on a S9. I must agree, it is definitely not reliable enough to leave your wallet at home, pity. That said, it is still quite decent, could have been worse. Very convenient and easy.
The Checkers in Kloof works although I did use my phone. I was thinking of changing my CSC on my Gear S3 but it seems like it's not as reliable as the phone. I'll stick with NFC only for my watch.

I've never used my bank card ever since Samsung Pay came out unless I need to top up my MyCiti or Gautrain card. I don't even carry my wallet anymore.

nuyork

Expert Member
It also did not work at Builders Warehouse Cape Gate, then I used chip card and all good..
I didn't have any issues at Builders in Fourways. They have NFC tap machines, and I've used my phone twice there with no issues.

nuyork

Expert Member
I also changed the region on my Gear S3 and noticed today that Samsung Rewards are now active on the watch app. Not sure if I'll be able to redeem my points earned.
What region are these rewards for? Are they only for the watch?

signates

Expert Member
What region are these rewards for? Are they only for the watch?
This is only for the watch. The watch and phones have their own independent Samsung Pay apps. The Samsung Pay app picks up the region from the device so if your phone is South Africa, the phone app will only have promotions for SA. My watch region is set to USA so the Samsung Pay for galaxy Wearable is set to USA.

My phone app has South Africa promotions and the galaxy wearable app has USA rewards.

S10+ Samsung Pay app

Screenshot_20190326-115705_Samsung%20Pay.jpeg

Galaxy gear S3 Samsung Pay app

Screenshot_20190326-090726_Samsung%20Pay%20(Watch%20plug-in).jpeg

Last edited:

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Hi All

Gear Sport user here.

I notice that sometimes when tapping to pay the payment requires my CARD PIN after tapping and other times it only requires my WATCH PIN and goes straight through

Anyone knows why this is?

ECHLN

Hi All

Gear Sport user here.

I notice that sometimes when tapping to pay the payment requires my CARD PIN after tapping and other times it only requires my WATCH PIN and goes straight through

Anyone knows why this is?
Each time you take your watch off your wrist, it'll request the watch pin. It's a safety precaution.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Each time you take your watch off your wrist, it'll request the watch pin. It's a safety precaution.
Sorry if i was unclear i went and edited my post.

No issues with the saftey feature.

Yesterday I tapped at a garage. After tapping the machine requested my normal card PIN.

However when i use the watch at spar, just entering my watch pin is sufficient.

ECHLN

Sorry if i was unclear i went and edited my post.

No issues with the saftey feature.

Yesterday I tapped at a garage. After tapping the machine requested my normal card PIN.

However when i use the watch at spar, just entering my watch pin is sufficient.
Probably something that the store set. On a separate note, my Gear S3 has a hard time working at Spar for some reason. I just use my phone there now.

Recallza

How come you all have promotions in the wearable app? Mine just shows as "Promotions Coming Soon"

Saajid

Expert Member
What is this Samsung Rewards all about, and the points earned? Is this available in RSA? I've set up Samsung Pay on my Galaxy S10+ and made several NFC and MST payments. Also used the Members app to redeem my free Galaxy Buds, and R500 discount on a Samsung cover (I put in an extra R100 and bought the soft cover for R600). Also entered the promo/competition with Incredible Connection, to win a R1000 voucher.

But I don't see anything about points or rewards.