Samsung Pay Experience in South Africa

isie

Honorary Master
Sorry if i was unclear i went and edited my post.

No issues with the saftey feature.

Yesterday I tapped at a garage. After tapping the machine requested my normal card PIN.

However when i use the watch at spar, just entering my watch pin is sufficient.
limit on your card , on mine STD bank any purchase above R500 asks for a pin , also random safety it asks for pin after a few taps

Saajid

Expert Member
What is this Samsung Rewards all about, and the points earned? Is this available in RSA? I've set up Samsung Pay on my Galaxy S10+ and made several NFC and MST payments. Also used the Members app to redeem my free Galaxy Buds, and R500 discount on a Samsung cover (I put in an extra R100 and bought the soft cover for R600). Also entered the promo/competition with Incredible Connection, to win a R1000 voucher.

But I don't see anything about points or rewards.
Anyone?

signates

Expert Member
Just paid using my phone now at Checkers Somerset West and the cashier insisted I wait for the manager and write down my ID number on the receipt. I asked her why and she said its a new procedure. I just walked out and told her to keep the receipt. I'm not going to write down my ID number on a receipt after the POS already approved the transaction.

ECHLN

Just paid using my phone now at Checkers Somerset West and the cashier insisted I wait for the manager and write down my ID number on the receipt. I asked her why and she said its a new procedure. I just walked out and told her to keep the receipt. I'm not going to write down my ID number on a receipt after the POS already approved the transaction.
Why? Do they think you're hacking or something?

signates

Expert Member
Why? Do they think you're hacking or something?
I asked and the cashier said its because I paid with my phone.

No idea if this from supervisor or management. I tried to pay last week at House and Home using MST as their pos machines don't do NFC. Was told by the manager and cashier that I must pay with my physical card as they need an instruction from Head office to allow me to pay with my phone even though I showed them it would work.

isie

Honorary Master

No idea if this from supervisor or management. I tried to pay last week at House and Home using MST as their pos machines don't do NFC. Was told by the manager and cashier that I must pay with my physical card as they need an instruction from Head office to allow me to pay with my phone even though I showed them it would work.
sounds like they are just a bunch of idiots.

isie

Honorary Master

I was thinking you should have pulled out your phone and recorded them. And posted on social media #checkers staff and management stuck in apartheid ( use apartheid instead of ast people will just share without checking )
Umm well you didn't have to pull the phone out you had it out but you know what i mean

signates

Expert Member
I was thinking you should have pulled out your phone and recorded them. And posted on social media #checkers staff and management stuck in apartheid ( use apartheid instead of ast people will just share without checking )
Umm well you didn't have to pull the phone out you had it out but you know what i mean
Went back there today and no repeat of the previous request.

Saajid

Expert Member
My experiences so far:

- MST worked at Shoprite Lenasia, the cashier and manager was at first confused about the new tech, but willing to assist. NFC was not enabled on any of the Speedpoints. Went back a week later, and NFC was enabled, and the manager was happy to see me pay with my phone without needing her intervention.
- Clicks Trade Route Mall (Lenasia) - the cashiers were unsure, but called the manager. The manager absolutely refused to entertain Samsung Pay, not even willing to try it out, even after arguing with her for 5 minutes. I ended up paying by card.
- Woolworths Trade Route Mall (Lenasia) - the cashier told me there don't have support for it yet, even though they had brand new suave-looking speedpoints. Nevertheless, she allowed me to give it a try using MST, but it failed. Went back 2 weeks later, and NFC support was rolled out on all speedpoints, and Samsung Pay worked just fine.
- Other shops at Trade Route Mall where it works using NFC - McDonalds, KFC, Pick n Pay, Boxer, Fego.
- Most other smaller stores, shops, cafes, restaurants around Lenasia that I've been to already support NFC. Those that don't are usually willing to give MST a try and are surprised when it works. Stores I've tried where it works via NFC - Postnet Lenasia and Nando's. Romans Pizza and Taste of Asia worked using MST - no NFC support.
-

ECHLN

My experiences so far:

- MST worked at Shoprite Lenasia, the cashier and manager was at first confused about the new tech, but willing to assist. NFC was not enabled on any of the Speedpoints. Went back a week later, and NFC was enabled, and the manager was happy to see me pay with my phone without needing her intervention.
- Clicks Trade Route Mall (Lenasia) - the cashiers were unsure, but called the manager. The manager absolutely refused to entertain Samsung Pay, not even willing to try it out, even after arguing with her for 5 minutes. I ended up paying by card.
- Woolworths Trade Route Mall (Lenasia) - the cashier told me there don't have support for it yet, even though they had brand new suave-looking speedpoints. Nevertheless, she allowed me to give it a try using MST, but it failed. Went back 2 weeks later, and NFC support was rolled out on all speedpoints, and Samsung Pay worked just fine.
- Other shops at Trade Route Mall where it works using NFC - McDonalds, KFC, Pick n Pay, Boxer, Fego.
- Most other smaller stores, shops, cafes, restaurants around Lenasia that I've been to already support NFC. Those that don't are usually willing to give MST a try and are surprised when it works. Stores I've tried where it works via NFC - Postnet Lenasia and Nando's. Romans Pizza and Taste of Asia worked using MST - no NFC support.
-
Thanks for the update. It's good to see Woolworths is finally enabling NFC on those new terminals. Even with MST, it failed and I have been at Woolies since. I should probably give them a visit and see if it works.

nuyork

Expert Member
My experiences so far:......
Fantastic. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it's working at most stores. Sounds like Clicks requires some mobile payment education. Glad to hear Woolies finally rolling out NFC to all their machines. Will need to check the Woolies near me and see if they are enabled yet.

isie

Honorary Master

-
Again i say your phone is out record theses clowns, and post on their social media, seriously what do they think you will do hack their POS? I know they just doing their jobs but do they live in a stone age, aren't they trained in simple things like this.

Most of my experiences with unsure staff is they respond Eish technology mostly wide eyed wonder , and a few questions about if i'm worried that if the steal my watch what will happen, things like that
Only time a manager was called was Pick n Pay clothing MOA the cashier called the manager because she wasn't sure if she processed the transaction correctly because i didn't pull out my card, they were cool because it was more a case she thought she messed up and i was reassuring her she didn't, the manager said the same and i was on my way. Other experiences was rivonia Mcdonalds it didn't work and the staff member was like come on try again (this is one of these new self service giant tablet things they trying out), after a few tries i gave up, line was getting a bit long i didn't want to waste people's time, promised her next time.
Picked up an issue at Leroy merlin the metal holders on the POS interferes with the NFC , first time i had an issue the casier pulled the POS out the holder and it worked , after that when ever i pay they do this so i guess they just advise staff what to do in this case (which i like)

ECHLN

Again i say your phone is out record theses clowns, and post on their social media, seriously what do they think you will do hack their POS? I know they just doing their jobs but do they live in a stone age, aren't they trained in simple things like this.

Most of my experiences with unsure staff is they respond Eish technology mostly wide eyed wonder , and a few questions about if i'm worried that if the steal my watch what will happen, things like that
Only time a manager was called was Pick n Pay clothing MOA the cashier called the manager because she wasn't sure if she processed the transaction correctly because i didn't pull out my card, they were cool because it was more a case she thought she messed up and i was reassuring her she didn't, the manager said the same and i was on my way. Other experiences was rivonia Mcdonalds it didn't work and the staff member was like come on try again (this is one of these new self service giant tablet things they trying out), after a few tries i gave up, line was getting a bit long i didn't want to waste people's time, promised her next time.
Picked up an issue at Leroy merlin the metal holders on the POS interferes with the NFC , first time i had an issue the casier pulled the POS out the holder and it worked , after that when ever i pay they do this so i guess they just advise staff what to do in this case (which i like)
Fact of the matter is, we live in a country where the majority of people know nothing about tech so we have to educate them. Whenever I use Samsung Pay and theres confusion i always try explain what's going on and what it is. It helps.

pezulu

Expert Member
Got a reply to a tweet I sent Nedbank regarding Samsung Pay.

Nedbank is fully committed to creating delightful client experiences through digital transformation. Nedbank is scheduled to launch SamsungPay, we will keep you updated once the capability becomes available.

isie

Honorary Master
Fact of the matter is, we live in a country where the majority of people know nothing about tech so we have to educate them. Whenever I use Samsung Pay and theres confusion i always try explain what's going on and what it is. It helps.
Go back and read the post i responded to (not to mention my so far good experience) , the manager refused to let him try (even after he explained) , and honestly i can understand a cashier not understanding and being safe calls a manager , but a manager who i'll be honest too stupid to be a manager.

ECHLN

Got a reply to a tweet I sent Nedbank regarding Samsung Pay.

Nedbank is fully committed to creating delightful client experiences through digital transformation. Nedbank is scheduled to launch SamsungPay, we will keep you updated once the capability becomes available.
Good. The more banks, the better.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
The Total on the N14 (between Pretoria and Krugersdorp), used to accept Samsung Pay, but their machines now show "declined" whenever I try to pay.

Charlesjjm

I used Samsung Pay (MST) at the Welkom Clicks. Did not have any card on me as I just came from a Parkrun. Anyway, I said to him, let's see if this is working. He scanned my loyalty card and rang up the goods. I held my phone next to the terminal to pay, it asked for the last 4 digits, I entered it, and it worked. He was impressed, I was impressed. Wherever I can, I use my phone and now my Galaxy Watch to pay.