Samsung Pay Experience in South Africa

signates

Expert Member
There seems to be an issue with MST payments. Three mst payments failed due to technical error at sites where they worked before.

nuyork

Expert Member
There seems to be an issue with MST payments. Three mst payments failed due to technical error at sites where they worked before.
Interesting. I must give it a try at Dischem again where I used MST last and see if it works still.

Wonder if it's the stores, banks or terminals that are blocking MST?

signates

Expert Member
Interesting. I must give it a try at Dischem again where I used MST last and see if it works still.

Could just be a glitch but the error occurred at 3 different stores within the space of 30 minutes. Pet shop, PNA and cash crusaders. NFC worked at Spar and Checkers 30 minutes later. The 3 stores also had different card machines. The pet shop uses a capitec machine and PNA uses Absa. Can't remember the cash crusaders machine.

signates

Expert Member
Tried again at a Checkers store where they have not yet rolled out NFC. MST failed again. Called the Samsung Pay call centre and was asked to try and reset the Samsung Pay app and try again. Haven't had a chance yet.

ECHLN

Tried again at a Checkers store where they have not yet rolled out NFC. MST failed again. Called the Samsung Pay call centre and was asked to try and reset the Samsung Pay app and try again. Haven't had a chance yet.
I'm going to Checkers now. Let me check

Udpate: It worked. Checkers in Kloof Street, Cape Town

Last edited:

nuyork

Expert Member
Can confirm that Woolworths (Dainfern Square) have upgraded their terminals to support NFC payments, so now Samsung Pay works here (and hopefully other Woolworths stores too).

simp

Confirmed - technical error at Dischem Northgate this morning.

signates

Expert Member
It's not only me then and definitely seems to be fnb related.

Anyone with one of the banks cards getting this error?

nuyork

Expert Member
Also confirmed technical error (FNB Premier) at Dischem Dainfern Square this afternoon. Either Dischem have stopped all Samsung Pay / MST / swipe payments on their Nedbank terminals? Or FNB has an issue on their side with MST payments. The payment at Dischem seemed like it was processing. You would tap your phone against the machine, it would ask Cheque, Credit or Savings, then it would ask for the last four digits of the virtual card, then ask budget options, then your PIN, and after that the transaction would decline with technical error. I tried twice and both were declined, and just paid with my card. And I know that I have visited this specific Dischem store before and MST did indeed work previously without issues.

The Checkers at Leaping Frog Fourways didn't have any issues, as even though their terminals are Nedbank as well, they at least supported NFC.

signates

Expert Member
Really hope fnb and Samsung manage to sort this out. Forgot my card a few times at home or in the car as I came to rely on my phone to do payments.

droidx

Expert Member
Received a technical error on FNB as well, with both NFC and MST, at a place where both methods worked before.