Samsung Pay is coming to smartwatches in South Africa

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Samsung Pay is coming to smartwatches in South Africa

Samsung has announced that it will launch support for compatible Samsung smartwatches on its Samsung Pay platform.

Speaking at a media briefing in Johannesburg, Samsung Pay Project Lead Philip Henning said that Samsung Pay users will be able to pay for purchases with their Samsung smartwatch in the near future.

I'm already using this daily as I've set my S3 firmware to the American region. Note that the new galaxy watch does not support MST only NFC but the older S3 has both so the S3 does work on contactless terminals without NFC support and the new Galaxy watch will only work with NFC terminals

whatwhat

Executive Member
I use Apple Pay on my watch a lot more than I expected to, much quicker than taking out the phone or NFC credit card.

You just get a few dings on the screen when you smash into the card reader device.

Grabbed a nice deal on frontier s3 on ebay uk(130 pounds), in-laws will bring it down for me in 2 weeks time :p

ECHLN

I'm already using this daily as I've set my S3 firmware to the American region. Note that the new galaxy watch does not support MST only NFC but the older S3 has both so the S3 does work on contactless terminals without NFC support and the new Galaxy watch will only work with NFC terminals
But will Samsung SA make region locked wearables like mine, use MST? In the UK, they restricted the MST feature on the Gear S3.

But will Samsung SA make region locked wearables like mine, use MST? In the UK, they restricted the MST feature on the Gear S3.
That would be terrible, they paid so much for MST and now they are just letting it go to waste. The new galaxy watch does not even have MST built in. Wonder if they are going to start taking it out of phones too

ECHLN

That would be terrible, they paid so much for MST and now they are just letting it go to waste. The new galaxy watch does not even have MST built in. Wonder if they are going to start taking it out of phones too
They'd never do that I think. There won't be any use of using it over FNB Pay and other apps like it.

signates

Expert Member
So look what just popped up in my Galaxy Wearable app. I get an error but it could mean that Samsung Pay for the Gear S3 and other wearables is imminent.
Using an S9+ and gear S3 I get the error below when clicking on Samsung Pay in the wearable app.

Screenshot_20181129-193642_Samsung%20Pay%20(Watch%20plug-in).jpeg

Dee96

Has anyone got it working?

Do you need a Samsung phone for this to work or will it work in my Redmi note 4 if I have the Samsung watch?

droidx

Expert Member
I know.

Is it a software limitation? Can it activated by flashing firmware/software from a different region?
The user in post #4 seems to be using it with American version of software, but not clear whether it is being used in America.

Would overseas firmware not restrict the use of local credit cards, as even with local firmware some banks were not supported.

Was excited about the rollout knowing the watch has MST. Now I might as well use my phone.